Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband disconnecting every time sync speed changes?

This is a discussion on Sky broadband disconnecting every time sync speed changes? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am on the Sky max package and the speeds and ...

Krill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky broadband disconnecting every time sync speed changes?

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I am on the Sky max package and the speeds and everything I get are excellent. Gaming is not a problem in terms of lag and generally i'm very pleased with the service I get.

At the moment these are my connection stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14201 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.5 db 17.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 14.5 db

One problem I have though is that every time my connection speed changes the router disconnects and reconnects. This usually happens once a day and can be highly frustrating when in the middle of gaming online or downloading.

We have tried a different ADSL filter and it makes no difference. Is this normal or should I be ringing sky to talk to them? Does it sound like the router is a problem or the line?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Cheers

Krill

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband disconnecting every time sync speed changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Krill View Post
      every time my connection speed changes the router disconnects and reconnects.
      Actually, it's the other way round: every time the router disconnects and resyncs, the sync changes.

In other words something is causing your connection to lose connection with the exchange and when the router reconnects it negotiates a new sync speed based on the current line condition (current line noise).

Your stats look fine so there must be some sort of intermittent fault/noise, such as that caused by dodgy wiring or a loose connection somewhere. Check your router cable (the one that connects to the phone socket) and try another if possible. Is it a good fit in the socket? Are you using a plug in extension or splitter? Do the wires inside the socket seem secure?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi and thanks for your help so far. I have changed the router cable that connects from the router to the ADSL filter with a new one. The ADSL filter itself fits well in the socket. As regards the ADSL filter it's one of the standard onces that come with the Sky router but I have changed it about a week ago for a new one (same model) to see if that was the issue. If this continues then should I ring BT or Sky to check for a fault on the line? Is there any way I can get them to test the wiring inside the box as I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in there.
      Last edited by Saturday; 05-02-09 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

You haven't said whether you are plugged into your master socket or into an extension (hardwired or plug in).

Your problem isn't a simple one where you have an obviously noisy line (e.g. low sync for attenuation) where changes you make are instantly obvious. It sounds to me like a bit of faulty wiring but that's only a guess based on the info you've given. If it's not faulty wiring then it could be a noise spike caused by an electrical item switching in (thermostats, immersion heaters and fan heaters are common culprits).

I can't see any point in calling Sky. BT would happily get involved but that would cost you well over 100 and might be for no purpose. Though if you're not comfortable about removing the faceplate(s) of your socket(s) and seeing if the wires seem firmly attached then you may have no choice, once you've eliminated the obvious.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you do have extensions then plugging into the Test socket is the only way to diagnose your problem. If you are unsure how to do this have a look at the Test Socket link below. Taking the stats from there could show immediately where your problem is.

Can you also confirm that, if you do have extensions, everything connected to the phone sockets is plugged into filters?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You haven't said whether you are plugged into your master socket or into an extension (hardwired or plug in).

Your problem isn't a simple one where you have an obviously noisy line (e.g. low sync for attenuation) where changes you make are instantly obvious. It sounds to me like a bit of faulty wiring but that's only a guess based on the info you've given. If it's not faulty wiring then it could be a noise spike caused by an electrical item switching in (thermostats, immersion heaters and fan heaters are common culprits).

I can't see any point in calling Sky. BT would happily get involved but that would cost you well over 100 and might be for no purpose. Though if you're not comfortable about removing the faceplate(s) of your socket(s) and seeing if the wires seem firmly attached then you may have no choice, once you've eliminated the obvious.
      I can't tell if I am into the master socket or not as I'd expect it to be downstairs but there are no phone lines in the downstairs part of the house that I can see. The house itself is quite new (new build house only a few years old). On the second floor in the lounge there are two phone sockets each with face plates into the wall but at alternating ends of the lounge. I have taken the one off where the router plugs into it, I'll call this socket A, and it looks like it is connected properly and securely behind the faceplate. This socket A is using an ADSL filter. The other phone socket which I'll call socket B at the other end of the lounge just has the phone plugged into it and also uses an ADSL filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you do have extensions then plugging into the Test socket is the only way to diagnose your problem. If you are unsure how to do this have a look at the Test Socket link below. Taking the stats from there could show immediately where your problem is.

Can you also confirm that, if you do have extensions, everything connected to the phone sockets is plugged into filters?
      Hi and thanks for the advice the so far. Everything plugged into a phone socket is using an ADSL filter. I'll have a look into locating the test socket although I can't see anything downstairs at all which looks like one.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Taking the stats from there could show immediately where your problem is.
      Maybe but I doubt it, not immediately in any case.

In the current socket the connection is syncing at over 14meg which is only a meg or so under the maximum for the attenuation. If in the test socket the sync rises by a meg all that is telling you is that there's a small amount of noise present. Can't see how that would be causing regular disconnections, That can only be noise spikes or a fault.

On the other hand, leaving it in the test socket for several hours might show where the noise spike/fault is or isn't.

Thanks

If it is a new build it should have an NTE5 master socket. These are easy to identify as they have a horizontal joint across the face. If your supply line comes in overhead, there is a good chance that your master will be upstairs, maybe even in the loft. If it is underground, it is more likely to be on the ground floor.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Maybe but I doubt it, not immediately in any case.
      I was thinking more in the way of a rise in the noise margin, rather than sync speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krill View Post
      I can't tell if I am into the master socket or not as I'd expect it to be downstairs but there are no phone lines in the downstairs part of the house that I can see.
      Can you see where the phone line enters the property? The Master socket is the one immediately after that. Although generally downstairs, master sockets can be anywhere e.g. in bungalows they are often in the roof space.

With your two sockets, one should be the master and one the extension. The extension should be connected to the faceplate of the master. When you remove the master faceplate it will have been plugged into the hidden socket inside, called the test socket. When the master faceplate is removed the extension should not work any more. The extension should not have a test socket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast