Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed drop off (Safe to move router to master socket during DLM?)

This is a discussion on Speed drop off (Safe to move router to master socket during DLM?) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I had my broadband switched to sky max on monday, Sky stated in their letter that I should obtain ...

Fusion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Speed drop off (Safe to move router to master socket during DLM?)

Hi,

I had my broadband switched to sky max on monday, Sky stated in their letter that I should obtain speeds between 10 and 16mb and based on this sites ADSL2 checker and my attenuation level I was expecting between 10 and 12mb.

The line went active on monday and my initial router stats were as follows:

Downstream Connection Speed: 9271
      Upstream Connection Speed: 796
      Line Attenuation: 35.0db
      Downstream Noise Margin 6.7

Which I was fairly happy with as I am not pluggin into the master socket (plugged into faceplate next to TV (new build extenstion wiring in the wall from master socket). (Long story short... Wont pay M$ 50 odd for a wireless xbox adapter ).

However this morning I have noticed that my router stats have changed to the following:

Downstream Connection Speed: 7611
      Downstream Noise Margin 11.1

I can see that it looks like I may have a noisy line and that moving the router to the master socket may improve my speed.. My question is that will I not be on DLM at the moment? Will switching off and moving my router make the synch speed worse due to DLM?

Also do you think I'll get a sufficiently better speed to warrant me spending the 50 for the xbox adapter?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Speed drop off (Safe to move router to master socket during DLM?)

Don't buy the adaptor, buy a couple of homeplugs, works just like running a wire with better pings and speeds.

40 for a pair on e-bay.

Thanks

Cheers Smithy I'll look into those..

What about moving my router during DLM? I dont want to move the router if its going to make it worse.. For someone with my attenuation should i see a significant speed boost if I moved the router to the master socket... If I am only going to gain a 1MB speed increase i'd rather leave it where it is.. If however I should see speeds up to 12MB or so then it would be worth spending the money for the home plugs..

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky's DLM will cope OK with the occasional disconnect. Lots of people turn their routers off at night for example and there would be big problems if every such customer ended up with a crippled service. What you need to avoid is more than one disconnect in a short time frame.

The advantages of having your router in the master far outweigh the disadvantages. Though remember, unlike Connect, Sky's LLU DLM is on permanently so if you move it back to a poorer connection, DLM will probably kick in.

Thanks

Hi,

I went home thursday and moved the router to the main socket... The router then appeared to re-sync at exactly!! the same speed as when it was in the extension the only difference was that the noise margin on the downstream increased slightly. I left this overnight and checked again in the morning... the router appeared to have re-synced to the following:

Downstream Connection Speed: 8191
      Downstream Noise Margin 11.7

A 1 Mb increase.. As the stats were not that different I plugged the router straight into the test socket... At which point it re-synced at EXACTLY the same speed again (8191) only this time the noise margin jumped up to 15.7. Thinking that DLM might only adjust the profile overnight I waited until this morning at which point the router stats are still exactly the same...

Downstream Connection Speed: 8191
      Downstream Noise Margin 15.7

I rebooted the router and it re-synced again at EXACTLY the same stats not even 1 point difference..

Has DLM capped me? With these stats I would be expecting a sync of over 10000. I only got activated on monday would the initial DLM training period still be active? would this sort it self out or should I try and contact CST?

On a side note I have ordered a filtered adsl plate for the master socket...

Cheers for any help

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As you have ordered a filter faceplate a good plain would be to ensure your wiring is up to scratch before you contact Sky (DLM has capped you) so that Sky can help you.

(1) Before you fit the filter faceplate check that when you have the test socket at the master exposed, you have no dial tone at any telephone extension socket. For correct operation of a filter faceplate, this is most important.

(2) Once the filter faceplate is fitted you will only be able to access the Broadband signal at the filter faceplate router socket, so you will need to move the router close to the faceplate filter to avoid the use of ADSL extension cables, A very good thing.

(3) Once all this has been done, you can then contact Sky and have your speed problems sorted.

Thanks

Hi just an update on my situation

I received my adsl nation filter plate the day after placing the order, and so far i am impressed after fitting the new faceplate i now have a noise margin identical to that in the test socket. Plus it was a doddle to fit as well, worth buying iit in effect it has increased my noise margin by 50%

Got on the phone to Sky today to see if they would uncap me. Spoke to a nice lady for about 20 minutes trying to persuade her that my line has been capped (she maintained that my current speed was the ma my line would support) however after stating numerous times that if I wasnt capped then why does my router always synch at EXACTLY the same speed no mater what time of the day, she finally stated that she would escalate the issue.

However instead of putting me through to CST she raised a ticket and stated that if my speed hadnt improved in a couple of days to ring back and quote the ticket number.

Have I been fobbed off? or should I look forward to some faster speeds in the next few days?

Thanks to everyone that helped me out with advice!!

Thanks

It's in fact much more than 50% because dBs are logarithmic units (an increase of 3dB doubles the margin)
      As to Sky, you will have to wait and see, I should think that Teir 1 have been told that DLM is the be all and end all, so they dont want to push it to CST in case the get in trouble!! but you have an open ticket so you should be o.k

Thanks

Woke up this morning to the following:

Downstream Connection Speed: 11263
      Upstream Connection Speed: 765
      Downstream Noise Margin 9.8

Make me one happy Sky Max customer..

Thanks

Thats a nice compromise between a decent speed and a nice healthy noise margin. I would leave your router alone for at least another 10 days in case DLM has been triggered to start another training session.
      If anybody is reading this who is waiting for connection to Sky BB there is a lot to be said for sorting out your wiring while you wait for activation, to avoid unecessary calls to Sky.