Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

speed dropped from master socket?

This is a discussion on speed dropped from master socket? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i have always connected my sky broadband to an extension socket with filter fitted because my master socket was to ...

steveblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

speed dropped from master socket?

i have always connected my sky broadband to an extension socket with filter fitted because my master socket was to far away, always had good speed but got one disconnection per night, i was told by a friend that my black netgear router at fault? he suggested buy filtered face plate long ethernet and connect at master socket. i have done this and my speed has dropped? i have two questions if someone could kindly answer, first i have had dlm on my line so would the speed increase if i left my router in the master socket? two my connection has always been 16380 down and 764 up now i am pretty new to the technical side of broadband so any help appreciated, my speed from master socket is 15987 down and 760 up and from the extension 16100 up 764 down, so why has the speed dropped? also i dont really know if these speeds are what to expect. sorry the thread is long but as i said new to all this thankyou

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: speed dropped from master socket?

Post your stats from the Test socket, behind the Master faceplate and from your extension. The difference in speed you are seeing is nothing to worry about, if you are syncing at the default noise margin the speed will fluctuate, even minute by minute.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for the reply, same from test socket but at present my snr 1db? with the adsl faceplate snr drops to 1db?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have an ADSL filtered faceplate? If you do it looks like it may be wired incorrectly, you should not get much of a signal at the extension with a filtered faceplate, let alone a similar response. When you remove the faceplate, are all your extensions dead, ie, there is no dial tone?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

im sorry if i am confusing you but i will recap, my router connected to extension socket hardwired from another socket master socket has no filtered face plate, all other sockets in use have filters on them, had dlm last year on my line, for last few months statistics stated connection 16380 up 764 down, then once in the evening i would get 1 lost connection, reboot and then speed about 15mb down 760 up, i could cope with that as next morning reboot all back to full speed, but the last week my speed dropped during the day to about 14/15mb i know i am lucky getting these speeds, then a friend said buy a filtered faceplate, which i did moved router to master socket bought long ethernet lead all phones seem clearer now but speed still 14/15mb, im sorry this is so long but my question is has dlm slowed me down because of the 1 nightly drop and if so will it speed back up? as i said earlier i am lucky to be getting these speeds but i think im just wondering why my speed dropped? my line attention is 31 and my snr is 7db but only during the day, i was told the low snr is a fault of the blacknetgear dg934g routers anyway thanks a million for your reply

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

This is really a repeat of what Tom has just said, but if you are using a filter faceplate at you master socket, then the following should apply.

(1) All telephone extension sockets must be wired from the filter faceplate. They must be connected to the 5 2 and 3 IDC terminials, they must not be connected to those marked A and B if your filter faceplate has them.

(2) All telephone extension sockets must have no dial tone when the filter faceplate is removed and the test socket exposed. There must only be a dial tone at the test socket.

(3) A broadband adsl signal will only be availible at the router socket on the faceplate filter, all telephone extension sockets can be used for phones and everything else but not broadband.

By "telephone extension socket" I mean all telephone sockets you have other than the master socket where the filter faceplate is fitted.