Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

At my wits end

This is a discussion on At my wits end within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had Sky Broadband for over a year, and have always received unsatisfactory speeds. I am 0.97 miles (as the ...

Xeijin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

At my wits end

I've had Sky Broadband for over a year, and have always received unsatisfactory speeds.

I am 0.97 miles (as the crow flies / 1.7 by road) away from the Stratford Telephone Exchange and I receive abysmal speeds.

Code:
      System Up Time 00:21:14
      Port 	Status 	TxPkts 	RxPkts 	Collisions 	Tx B/s 	Rx B/s 	Up Time
      WAN 	PPPoA 	3182 	4091 	0 	638 	2773 	00:18:45
      LAN 	10M/100M 	4361 	2753 	0 	2253 	507 	00:21:11
      WLAN 	11M/54M 	2524 	2196 	0 	575 	255 	00:21:03

ADSL Link 	Downstream 	Upstream
      Connection Speed 	1535 kbps 	412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 	48.0 db 	31.5 db
      Noise Margin 	15.3 db 	16.5 db
      I have been told that my Line Attenuation is quite bad?

I have tried plugging into what looks like the Master Test Socket, I was originally with NTL before switching to Sky a couple of years back. There are now two sockets there. One, installed by NTL has a socket that looks like the one in the tutorial, bigger than the one we plug into currently. I removed the front panel and tried to plug the router in but I don't receive any sort of signal (i.e. the router doesn't pick anything up, and the phone doesnt have any tone)

Also after reading the "What is DLM?" sticky, it seems that my 412kbps Upload is typical of a line under DLM. However it has been around this bad since I had sky, the highest I've ever seen it go to is about 2500kbps.

Anyway I'm receiving poor download speeds (155kb/s) streaming video from youtube is terrible, and the internet is generally sluggish.

I believe I am plugged into an extension but when I go downstairs and stick the router in that socket I get exactly the same speed.

As you can probably tell I'm ever so slightly annoyed with all of this. I am asking here as a last resort, to see if there are any blaringly obvious problems that I''m missing.

I'd also like to ask if switching to another company (i.e. another company that provides ADSL broadband services like O2 etc) would net any sort of improvement, Also if switching to ADSL2+ would net any sort of improvement.
      If not then I guess I am going to have to look into Virgin's cable broadband (I was previously with them as NTL and on the 2MB service I used to receive speeds of 600kb/s when downloading)

According to the DLM stuff I might be capped but I'm not sure, and even if I am, it will only increase the speed about a meg or so if I am uncapped right?

Thanks in advance for your replies I'm really frustrated.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: At my wits end

You have a long line, it is noisy (probably down to the extension wiring) and it is capped.

Without the noise and the cap it would sync at ~6meg.

With the noise and without the cap it would sync at ~4meg.

As you're capped, you'll get the same sync at any socket including the test socket.

Sort out your wiring (don't use the extension), fit a filtered faceplate and call Sky to get uncapped. You'll then get something between 4 and 6meg, hopefully closer to 6.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      You have a long line, it is noisy (probably down to the extension wiring) and it is capped.

Without the noise and the cap it would sync at ~6meg.

With the noise and without the cap it would sync at ~4meg.

As you're capped, you'll get the same sync at any socket including the test socket.

Sort out your wiring (don't use the extension), fit a filtered faceplate and call Sky to get uncapped. You'll then get something between 4 and 6meg, hopefully closer to 6.
      The thing is, I'm assuming that the telephone socket I have upstairs is an 'extension'.

Yet when I bring it downstairs to what I believe is the normal socket (it's not one of the big ones with a test socket underneath the panel, looks pretty much like the one upstairs) I get the same speeds.

When I try and plug into the big one that has the NTL branding over it (and when I unscrew the faceplate, has a test socket there) I do not seem to get any sort of signal (nothing on the phone, router does not connect).

I'm thinking that I may be using the wrong socket or something, but those are the only three sockets in my house.

If it was a wiring problem, how much would it cost to get it sorted?

Thanks for your help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When I try and plug into the big one that has the NTL branding over it
      This is a cable socket and has no connection to the phone line, so it is not surprising you get nothing from it.
      If you remove the faceplate from your phone sockets inside one you should see a capacitor and other bits and pieces, this is the master. The other should be comparatively bare, having only wire terminals. While you are in the sockets, remove the wire from terminal #3. This is the ring wire, is not required and can cause noise on the line. Be careful not to disturb the wires on #2 and #5 as these are the main phone wires.

Make sure you have filters fitted to everything connected to the phone line, including Sky digiboxes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This is a cable socket and has no connection to the phone line, so it is not surprising you get nothing from it.
      If you remove the faceplate from your phone sockets inside one you should see a capacitor and other bits and pieces, this is the master. The other should be comparatively bare, having only wire terminals. While you are in the sockets, remove the wire from terminal #3. This is the ring wire, is not required and can cause noise on the line. Be careful not to disturb the wires on #2 and #5 as these are the main phone wires.

Make sure you have filters fitted to everything connected to the phone line, including Sky digiboxes.
      Just for clarification (as I'm a bit confused)

Attached is a picture of the two sockets there (with faceplates removed) just for clarification. The top one is the NTL branded one.

The number 3 terminal doesn't seem to have a wire so I'm guessing that's not attributing to the noise.

I'm assuming the socket at the bottom is the master socket?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails At my wits end-sockets.jpg  
      Last edited by Xeijin; 03-02-09 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks

Incredibly ****** off. After 2 hours on the phone to Sky, my line has finally been uncapped and the router is now syncing at 5546kbps.

Apparently the cap has been in effect since December 16th 2007, when there was a problem with our internet (on Sky's end, they managed to send a BT engineer round to fix the prob) and had capped our line originally for "testing purposes" but never bothered to uncap it.

I am in disbelief. Numerous times I have rang about the speed of the internet, before knowing about the posibility of capping, all I had received were reports that "this was the best I could receive" incredibly annoyed.

Thankyou for all the help, just one other question. If I am getting around 5mb now, If I were to go with an ADSL2+ solution (thinking of avoiding Sky Max after this) what kind of speeds could I expect?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

If you are syncing at below 8Mb then ADSL2+ wont make any difference, it will pnly show an increase to lines that are capable of above 8Mb.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Is your attenuation still 48?
      If it is then 5.5mb with 48 attenuation is really good!!

If you are as far as you say you are from the exchange then it's really not that far and you should be able to receive much more than that and your attenuation should be half what it is now!

The NTL socket is NTL's socket and I highly doubt you would get any BB signal off that so I wouldn't get confused bringing that into the equation.

If you called in previously with issues on the line then the line was probably capped / or as a 'special few' people do they regrade the line and bring the noise margins up (People in CST will know who I'm talking about Lol)
      Eg: 1535 kbps Looks like it has been manually regraded...I wouldn't be suprised you are not the only person that has been set to this.
      Usually a line will get regraded if you called in with an got had a ticket raised for an intermittent connection.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Physical distance from an exchange has little relation to line length so you cannot say what an attenuation figure should be based on that.

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Physical distance from an exchange has little relation to line length so you cannot say what an attenuation figure should be based on that.
      I know that but using it as a rough guide, as long as the copper line doesn't go around the area 5 times before it gets to his house.

But based on his attenuation he is getting a very good sync rate.. don't you think?