Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Calling Saturday For Help / Advice

This is a discussion on Calling Saturday For Help / Advice within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi sorry to be so blatant in asking for your help or anybody else who wishes to post. I'm kinda ...

scooter.125 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Calling Saturday For Help / Advice

Hi sorry to be so blatant in asking for your help or anybody else who wishes to post.

I'm kinda at my wits end I'm on base(2 Meg) and my nephew is on max(8 Meg) the difference is 6 times the speed, yet he lives across the street the lines were both installed by BT at the same time and were both roughly 200 feet of distance apart in line length to the exchange; I know the difference in the packages is vast but I'm only able to get a max of 576kb/s down with 416kb/s up whilst he can get nearly 2944kb/s down with 640kb/s. If I could get near to 1600kb/s I'd be laughing as I only use my net for browsing but listing to the match on the radio through the pc is a pain in the A%$E keeps re-buffering.

I have done everything at my end to ensure a good wireless signal going from USB dongle to PCI network card; in fairness I never get less than 48Mbps speed with a Very Good signal strength.

I have only 1 socket in the house (PC upstairs hence wireless) whilst he's got 2 sockets and is hard wired to router upstairs.

I bought a BT I-Plate and a XF-1e professional filter from a dealer and installed them last Friday night. I checked through the router for my connection could not establish, I-plate out and with pro filter in speed was 488 down 416 up. Removed innards of I-plate put that into master socket(kept face plate bottom off) used pro filter and connected to it and was sad to say 228 down and 416 up could barely get online, wipped out the pro filter back to SKY std filter speed now 288 down 416 up.

I have read it takes some 3 days for the line to settle and I gave it that but with no change.

Today I tried the I-plate without my telephone line attached and connected through the router at 576 down 416 up as soon as phone connected back to before 1/2 down speed same up.

I noticed the noise margin went up by double when the phone was disconnected and vise-versa see attach is that normal?

My nephew's line attenuation is virtually the same for down but I'm 1/2 of his for up can you help resolve what exactly is happening and why I can't get a decent speed.

I have tried the 17070 option 2 and I can hear a constant hum on the clear line test is it possibly a BT wiring / line issue or am I just clutching at straws hoping to get more when it's not possible.

Ps already done the TCP optimiser bit no real help

Answers On A Postcard To.....
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calling Saturday For Help / Advice-line-atten-phone.jpg   Calling Saturday For Help / Advice-line-atten2-no-phone.jpg   Calling Saturday For Help / Advice-nephew-line-attenuation.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Calling Saturday For Help / Advice

OK - lots of points there, I'll go through them in order:

Your line is probably much the same length as your nephew's but you can't be certain; your pair could go to a street cabinet at one end of the street and his to another.

Your wireless dongle is reporting signal strength not quality. However, that doesn't seem to be the issue in this case (see later).

Shame you bought a BT I-Plate and a XF-1e. A filtered faceplate would have been better. Something has gone wrong in the fitting though by the sounds of it. I don't like the sound of "Removed innards of I-plate".

You're on LLU. There is no 3 day period "to settle". Improvements have an instant impact.

There's a problem with your phone/I-plate if the noise margin doubles when it is disconnected.

Your attenuation is reported as 63.5db by your router. That's as high as the router goes so your true attenuation may be higher.

It is normal for the upstream attenuation to be ~1/2 of the downstream.

A quiet hum is normal on a phone. Hissing and/or crackling is a problem.

TCPOptimizer just removes any potential bottleneck between your PC and the router. It does nothing to the sync speed.

Your first stats show the router only able to sync at 288/416 at around the default noise margin i.e. that's the best it can do with your line quality (line in this context means everything from the exchange to the router).

Your second stats show an improvement in sync to 576/416 with a high noise margin. This shows that the line noise is greatly reduced and would also seem to indicate your connection is capped at that speed.

Am I right in thinking the first is with the phone and the second without?

The third set is much better. Is this your nephew's?

So, to sum up:
      • your line is longer/poorer than your nephew's
      • there's some sort of issue with the I-plate/filter
      • your phone (or possibly the I-plate) is faulty
      • your connection is capped

Without the noise (from the phone?) and uncapped, your sync would rise to something approaching your nephew's, probably somewhere around 2 - 2.5meg.

HTH

scooter.125 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hi Again

Many thanks for getting back to me.
      The 1st thumb is with the telephone connected 2nd without 3rd nephews.

My line is capped at 576 by SKY but when the 2nd or 3rd level tech was trying to search for more kb/s I was talking to them on the phone could this have been an issue?

They said that my line was not able to support any higher but I had previously spoke to one of their tech's in September '07 who was telling me at that time I was able to get 1meg down and I confirmed this on speedtest as we spoke I got about 910kb/s down which was fine.

I raqng SKY to complain that my connection had dropped to only 512 at the router and it was then I was told that my line was capped at 512 but the previous tech was able to see me getting 1meg and I confirmed that.

Would it be worth a call to sky again to get them to try again with the down speed without having the telephone connected whilst their doing the test?

When I place the SKY filter back to the master socket the I get the same a thumb 2 straight away.

Listen many thanks for helping me out; it buggs me having a poor BB connection now that I have had to start paying SKY for the privilege and the fact that it has dropped.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Sort your line noise out and get uncapped and you'll get the maximum possible for your line.

Just getting uncapped without sorting the line noise out will gain you little or nothing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Firstly, if you only have one socket and no extensions, an iPlate will do nothing at all. Allit does really is filter the ring wire, which as you do not have any extensions, you do not have. Take the iPlate out and put it somewhere out of the way.

Have you checked you phone is OK. The best way to do this is to borrow one, from your nephew maybe; and try it. Plug the XF filter into the Test socket and try your stats from there. Your speed may not rise, but your Noise margin may increase. It is possble your faceplate is faulty.

When you are sure you have a good phone, leave the the router and phone in the Test socket and phone Sky and ask them to trouble shoot you for speed as you have been capped and have now improved your wiring. See how things go from there. After 10.30 at night is said to be the best time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.