Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In Need of some Help

This is a discussion on In Need of some Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been searching around these forums and various sources across the internet to try and solve my problem but ...

AXavier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

In Need of some Help

I have been searching around these forums and various sources across the internet to try and solve my problem but I can find no solution.

The Problem: I am on Sky Broadband MAX Package, 16mb, and have been for a good year now. Normally I get download speeds of a maximum around 300KB/s to 400KB/s with slower download sites bringing that to around 200KB/s. Recently however I have been having major problems. Firstly, my download speeds have dropped and they now maximum at 70KB/s to 80KB/s for any kind of download be it through firefox or torrent. This in itself is unacceptable and rather strange but to add to that any time I am downloading, be it through any source, web pages do not load and I am given a page not found error. The page is not found as I test pages I visit regularly, google, and pages I can access at the time on my phone. Video streaming also appears to be comprimised as I used to be able to stream video without the need for buffering mid video but now it seems to buffer almost every couple of seconds. I am fairly computer orientated and am willing to try out anything you suggest that can help me. I have yet to phone Sky as I have lost my voice from being ill these last couple of days so I figured I would try here first.

Stats:
      Account Details from MySky:
      Broadband Product

You have Sky Broadband Max which offers maximum download speeds of up to 16Mb

Speed Estimate
      When you purchased Sky Broadband, we estimated that the maximum download speed your line could support was: 3.5Mb
      Router Details:
      Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 736 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 13.0 db
      My Set-up is as follows:
      Phone Line comes into the kitchen on the first floor
      A cable runs it up through the ceiling to my mothers bedroom where another modem sits.
      From that modem an extension runs into my room, right next door, where it plugs into my netgear router.
      An ethernet cable runs from the router to my PC which sits right next to it and my mother gets wireless access to the internet via her laptop in the spare room.

I understand to get the phoneline to the router is a bit of a mess and wil result in a loss of speed but sureley not this much.

It sees rather random that the speed should suddenly drop like this. I was fairly happy when the speed was around 300KB/s as it got things downloaded fairly quickly and I was still able to surf the internet while things downloaded. Would there be any technical reason with Sky that the speed would drop so suddenly like that?

For reference I have not installed any new software, I have used Spybot Search and Destroy to check for Spyware and Malware and removed all that was there 2 days ago. I am runnning on Windows Vista Home Premium with a dual core processor, the computer is probably about a year and a half old. The Same problem occurs on my mothers laptop also, and she too can't surf the web when either of us is downloading.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise if this has been covered before but I could not find it. Thank You.

Edit: I thought I might also add that wee had Sky+ installed downstairs a few weeks ago, I can find out the exact date if this could be considered the problem.

Edit:
      These were my results when performing a speed test on your website:
      We have detected that your ISP is Sky - Your current download speed is 632Kbps, and your current upload speed is 419Kbps.

Speedtest.net Result:
      Last edited by AXavier; 30-01-09 at 08:38 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: In Need of some Help

You need to plug the router into the main socket, if it has a removable lower half, take it off and plug it directly into the socket beneath, this is the test socket.

Once you are plugged in there all other phone and points should be dead (this is what is meant to happen).

Get you router stats again from this point and post them.

It looks like you have some major interference, probably from all the wiring you have.

With your stats yoy should be able to do much better once you sort this out.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

I'm confused by your 'Other Modem' you can only have one broadband modem connected to a single phone line. Have you got filters correctly connected at each telephone point that is being used including the Sky +.
      Can you try connecting the Sky router to your master socket and posting your router stats.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It could be dial up modem

AXavier is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies.

My set-up is a little hard to explain so I quickly through together a graphical representation of how things are roughly connected. I haven't had a chance to test from the main socket yet, to do so I would need a place to plug in the router, unless I just plug an ethernet cable straight from the main socket into the laptop?

Anwyay here is the set-up if this helps.

Downstairs:

Upstairs:

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Cant make head or tail of the diagram. but.

(1) the adsl filter should plug directly into the master socket.

(2) Everthing other than the router must connect to the phone side of the filter

So the upstaries should be feed from the router side of the downstaires filter, This then connects to the second filter and again everthing other than the router connects to the phone side of the filter
      Last edited by Brian69; 30-01-09 at 10:15 PM.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

from what i can gather you are not on your master socket.....

put the router in the master socket...then post stats

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Have you a test socket behind the master ? See linky below for details

If so try in there

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

At first glance it looks like you are running the router through 2 filters. Only 1 filter must be used. What 'device' is plugged into the main socket?

You will not get to the bottom of this until you can plug the router directly into the TEST socket. You can do this temporary and use the lap top to collect the stats. You can do this by ehernet or wireless, it does not matter. If you do this, then post your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

It looks like a double adaptor in the master then split from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast