Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No connection, strange line fault

This is a discussion on No connection, strange line fault within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Posting from work at lunchtime, as I can't get on at home I've had Sky BB Max since Feb. 2007 ...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

No connection, strange line fault

Posting from work at lunchtime, as I can't get on at home

I've had Sky BB Max since Feb. 2007 (using a white v1 Netgear router), nearly two years now, & this is the first time I've had a problem with it...

Came home from work on Monday to find there was no connection. Wifey had got back a little earlier & already noticed it - she'd tried turning the router off & on again & it didn't help.

I checked the router via the admin interface, & found it had no connection whatsoever, nothing, no IP or anything. Sky Test gave Error Code 300.

I tried rebooting it using the admin interface, which made no difference. Also tried resetting it, which again made no difference.

The internet light was just flashing orange, going solid orange, going off, flashing orange, going solid orange, going off...

Phoned up Sky BB TS, & went through all the normal troubleshooting... reset the router, tried the master socket, & tried the hidden test socket... nothing helped, it still would not connect.

Phoned Sky back after trying the test socket (as I had to hang up to use the test socket), & got through to a different person. Repeated the whole story to them & told them what had been done so far. Did some of the same troubleshooting again to no avail.

The 2nd person I talked to also asked for the router's ADSL MAC address & the serial number... and said he couldn't find either of them on his system

He then passed me through to the CST...

I told the story so far to the guy from CST, & did some troubleshooting again, including trying the test socket. He said that he'd run some tests from his end while I had it connected to the test socket.

When the CST guy phoned me back after I'd had the router in the test socket, he said that there was a fault on the line & that he'd pass it onto BT.

After reconnecting everything, I gave the phone a quick test to check, & had some sort of crossed line. As well as a dial tone, I could hear two girls talking in Spanish! (foreign students in the UK I guess). Tried again later & it was fine though.

On checking it all yesterday evening when I came home, I found that the router did now have a connection & actually had an IP... but the downstream sync speed was around 70kbps. I could get to Google, but that was about it. Tried rebooting etc., & it was still the same... 50-70kbps connection speed with various websites not responsive.

And then it died again completely...

Did that through the evening/night: brief period of connectivity at dial-up speeds, followed by no connection at all (with the internet light just flashing orange, going solid orange, going off, and repeating...).

I also tried a Quiet Line Test (17070 option 2) using a corded phone connected to the Master (straight to the phone socket on the filtered faceplate) - background hum/buzz & occasional rhythmic clicks. Tried again using the Test Socket (with three different filters) & had the same background hum/buzz & occasional rhythmic clicks.

Checked the Fault Tracker on BT.com to find two faults listed:

1) Opened on Monday & Closed on Tuesday

2) Opened on Tuesday.

A BT Engineer turned up this morning & had a check where the line enters the property (fairly modern apartment building, less than 10 years old - line comes into the electricity meter cupboard off the communal hallway area downstairs). I'd gone by then, but he told Wifey that it was fine & the fault must lie somewhere else.

On checking the Fault Tracker again it now says that the second fault is Closed, presumably due to the Engineer closing it.

Can't check the connection yet 'till I get home tonight, but I'm not getting my hopes up as something was obviously wrong even if the engineer couldn't find it.

Can't be the customer side wiring, as the test socket didn't help, plus my wiring couldn't give me a brief crossed line either surely.

Anyone got any ideas?

If there's a fault will BT keep looking?

Cheers
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 28-01-09 at 02:48 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: No connection, strange line fault

Sky, with this Broadband you are really spoiling us...

Sorted. At last.

Having no broadband since Monday really really sucked

Checked it out when I got home this evening: connected, but still stuck at around 70kbps.

Tried my old Netgear DG834G I used with my previous ISP - same problem still.

Moved the router to the test socket - same problem still.

Phoned Sky BB TS... spent 10 minutes on hold, heard it get answered... then got cut off

Phoned Sky BB TS again... spent over 10 minutes on hold, got answered... went through the story again, & gave the MAC address again... finally got transferred to the CST...

... on hold with the CST...

... CST answered. Asked him to ring me back (I think the TS calls will make this month's BT call costs more than my Sky BB bill!!!!!! WTF do Sky use 0844???!!!).

CST phoned me back. The guy knew exactly what I was talking about, & what had been going on.

He checked, & found that while I was on hold waiting to be transferred to the CST, someone else at the CST had also picked up on my Ticket & actually resolved it:

It seemed that the CST guy from Monday night had placed a 70kbps cap on my connection due to the initial line issues (pity no one told me that earlier, & pity no one told the normal TS that earlier either!).

The mystery CST person who dealt with it while I was actually on hold awaiting transfer to CST removed the 70kbps cap, & replaced it with a 5120kbps cap instead. Not great, but due to my line I never normally got much more than 6000kbps anyway, so I can live with a slight drop due to their capping.

He also changed my connection from ADSL2+ FastPath to G.DMT Interleave though

But, the mystery CST person did also then change my max delays from 32 to 8 (something like that), I guess to make up from taking me off FastPath

The CST guy I was actually talking to explained all this to me, & was a bit confused himself as to why it hadn't been sorted earlier.

Still, it works now...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I didn't think Sky had anybody on fastpath, so if you were on it I think it was removed as you weren't meant to have it anyways.

The GDMT should increase line stability over adsl2+, as you never got anything over 8meg/sec this would have been a better option anyways as the reduction of the max delays to 8 can cause line instibilty.

So hopefully you should see very little difference overall, hopefully.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

I got put on FastPath ages ago by someone who worked for Easynet (not done via TS). [this was before all the max delays stuff they now officially do for gamers]

But yeah, I had read here that they were moving people off it now when found, so I guess it was to be expected that TS/CST would change when they saw my connection.

Thanks

Had a call back this morning from someone in the CST - left a message on my answerphone.

They were calling back to see how it was, & mentioned that the fault had been cleared by BT & the connection is now OK.

+1 for calling back - wasn't expecting that

I think they need to communicate with each other more though seeing as they should know that I know it's all fine as I talked to them last night & was told this... [add that to the earlier communication issues lol...]