Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

16mb - what am I getting?

This is a discussion on 16mb - what am I getting? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian Does it still give awful speeds when you use ethernet? If not then it's a ...

mns
      mns is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: 16mb - what am I getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Does it still give awful speeds when you use ethernet?

If not then it's a problem with your wi-fi and can be made better with changing the wi-fi channel.
      I haven't tried using the Ethernet to upload with because I have been told wireless is better than Ethernet. I will try the Ethernet and see if this improves. What if the Ethernet has the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      As the guys have said you need to give us a bit more info ( and ditch the wireless initially)
      Youve got the V1 router so full stats from the TEST socket would be a good start.
      Use this to get them Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk
      This info will show whether a move to adsl would be beneficial, as your sync of less than 8 meg would indicate you are on gdmt.
      Would do you mean test socket?
      On that link you provided do you want me to run the Router based "speed test" ?
      I am not at home now will try the router based speed test (if this is what you want me to do) when I get home tonight!

Its a joke I don't even get 1meg upload when I pay for Sky's best package. WTH??

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      it could be that you have alot of programs accessing the internet on your computer/other computers in the house. make sure you close any programs that you dont need open (that could be using your internet connection) and then run the speed test again. check your wireless signal strength and try connecting through the ethernet cable as suggested above and then run the speed test again. maybe try a few different speed test sites also, i have virgin broadband but i get slightly different results from different sites
      I have no programs running/draining my internet and I am the only person in my home. My wireless signal is 100%. I am also using a top end desktop computer that I built myself with some of the best components out now (spent just under 1000 on this baby!)!

I will plug in an Ethernet cable and see what stats I get.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: 16mb - what am I getting?

who told you wireless was better than ethernet?? must've been smoking something

lol!!!

click the link on my sig' for a view of what the test socket looks like...first things though try ethernet, INFINITELY better than wireless and wireless should be used as a last resort...

as for no 1Mbps upload, you'll NEVER get it as even the sync speed isn't a meg...O2 are the only ones offering over 1Mbps upload (could be wrong)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can you post all your router stats, Attn & SNR, just copy and paste, they will give us an idea on the condition of your line, from the test socket and also from the current position, if you want to get this sorted you will have to do a bit of work your end.

As stated, you will not get 1Mb upload with Sky, they don't offer it.

If using a ethernet connection is awkward due to the cable run then you could get a couple of homeplugs, they do the same thing a an ethernet wire but use your house mains wiring to send the signal.

As stated, wireless sucks, I can max my line at 16Mb with homeplugs or ethernet but struggle to get a third of that speed with wireless and also get ingame lag and dropouts.

mns
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I am at work right now..
      I went to speedtest.net here at work and the upload comes back as 600kbps and when I upload a big file using ftp the max the upload is 40kbps.. Does that sound right? Shouldnt I be uploading at 600kbps (I know it depends on server location)?

When I am home I will give you the full stats when I login to the router page.

Whats the max upload speed sky offer? Does 80kbps sound right?

Just looked at the test socket in your sig and I will try that when I get home.

Thanks

you're in sync at the best Sky offer (768kbps), taking into account overheads you should see (on a reliable speedtester, NOT speedtest.net) about 600-ish kbps...

OR, in real terms, if you uploading via FTP about 70KB/sec...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I went to speedtest.net here at work and the upload comes back as 600kbps and when I upload a big file using ftp the max the upload is 40kbps.. Does that sound right? Shouldnt I be uploading at 600kbps (I know it depends on server location)?
      If you are at work I would assume you are using a commercial package, so you should get an upload speed similar to what you see in testers. If you are not, it is probably down to the server you are uploading to. It could possibly be others uploading at the same time, which would split the bandwidth available.

In MelsNotes, click the button labelled 'DG834GT Get Detailed Stats'. Put in the Username/Password = admin/sky, this will open a page showing your ping and stats, copy and paste the stats section to the forum. Don't bother with the ping as it is not relevant at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mns
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you're in sync at the best Sky offer (768kbps), taking into account overheads you should see (on a reliable speedtester, NOT speedtest.net) about 600-ish kbps...

OR, in real terms, if you uploading via FTP about 70KB/sec...
      so you are saying my upload is correct at 80kbps? It isnt constantly 80kbps but if rounded up then 80kbps is what it is nearest..

Do you have a link for a reliable speed tester?

Please can you explain a bit more about the real terms you mentioned?? Why doesnt my router say upstream 80kbps? I am confused over my real upload speed and what my router upstream actually says in the router login.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are at work I would assume you are using a commercial package, so you should get an upload speed similar to what you see in testers. If you are not, it is probably down to the server you are uploading to. It could possibly be others uploading at the same time, which would split the bandwidth available.

In MelsNotes, click the button labelled 'DG834GT Get Detailed Stats'. Put in the Username/Password = admin/sky, this will open a page showing your ping and stats, copy and paste the stats section to the forum. Don't bother with the ping as it is not relevant at the moment.
      I did the speedtest and uploaded at work in the morning with noone else in the office. The bandwidth was not being used by anyone else other than me.

I will try MelsNotes when I get home and let you all know what is going on.

Thank you for your time everyone!

mns
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Heres the text from my sky router login:

Router Status
      Firmware Version V2.02.44
      ADSL Port
      MAC Address 00:1e:2a:20:f7:d7
      IP Address 87.87.250.14
      Network Type PPPoA
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
      Gateway IP Address 87.87.250.14
      Domain Name Server 91.207.238.97
      LAN Port
      MAC Address 00:1e:2a:20:f7:d6
      IP Address 192.168.0.1
      DHCP On
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
      Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 768 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38
      Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) SKY02098
      Region Europe
      Channel 11
      Wireless AP enable
      Broadcast Name enable

Thanks

bit strange you've not got a Sky IP address...should start with 90.x.x.x

might be an easynet one though...

the stats we need are the ones when you click on the 'Show Statistics' link at the bottom of the first router page - attenuation and SNR are needed...

you tried ethernet yet?...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

bit strange you've not got a Sky IP address...should start with 90.x.x.x
      It is an Easynet/Sky address, it looks like Sky have pushed the boat out-
      Query the RIPE Database.

The fuller stats from MelsNotes would be better, as they will show the mode etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast