Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Which are better:

This is a discussion on Which are better: within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; D-Link DHP-301 Powerline 200M HD Ethernet Adapter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo They look quite good, 200mbps for a good ...

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Which are better:

D-Link DHP-301 Powerline 200M HD Ethernet Adapter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

They look quite good, 200mbps for a good price...

or:

Devolo dLAN duo Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Anyone able to recommend a pack of two for a MAXIMUM of 65

Thanks...

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Which are better:

dabs.com - Dabs Value Powerline Homeplug Network Kit 85Mbps (Twin Pack) (159814)

for less than 45 for the pair.

Dabs has an awful lot of choice but these rate well and they have some now as they have a lot of lines with due soon on them, they also have some Belkin ones that are a different shape so you don't block up you power port with the huge plug.

dabs.com - Belkin Powerline Turbo Networking Adapter 85 Mbps - 2-Pack (F5D4071UK)

even though they all say don't run off extentions etc, I am using cheap 3 gang of 4 power leads and they are working fine, I don't know if putting them on a surge protector would work but on a regular gang of 4 their ok.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Any of those mentioned except the Devolos, which are only rated at 14mbps. The Dlinks are very good but unless you have a gigabit router, the 200mbps is wasted. I like the Belkins as they only take up one power point. Some others cover the adjacent points and make the use of another plug immpossible, especially the type with a built in PSU.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I have the Netgear V2 Router so am assuming it's not a gigabit router.

However, if I go for the 200Mbps ones, the D-Links, they will perform practically as well as wired direct from router? E.g. download speeds and internet performance for PS3 (As this would be their many purpose).

However, surely then the D-Links would be future proofed?

Thanks

as there is a cap of 16 meg/sec on sky max having a faster internal network will make no difference on how the internet performs as the incoming connection is capped.

I can't see gigabit networks becoming useful at home unless you move some really big files and often.

Thanks

They would be future proof in that if you upgraded to a gigabit (1000mbps)router you would see an advantage in transferring files over your local network. However they would be no advantage for internet downloads, as you will be restricted to the speed of your connection. It is up to you really, if you want to pay the extra cost.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Think I'm going to go for the D-Link ones, can share files a bit quicker then over my Home Network, but appreciate the fact that your speed (download wise) is based on your connection.

So will the D-Link homeplugs be able to download at 1800kbps like I can do if plugged directly into the router.

E.g. Downloading content at 1800kbps from Playstation Network.

Thanks

all that the plugs do is provide an ethernet connection to your mains electricity supply, so it's like turning your house wiring into a ethernet cable.

What can affect the speed is if you have rubbish electrical wiring, but as my house is 50 years old and the wiring in the house gives me 75-77 meg sec on 85 meg plugs, to notice this while on the internet you would really have to have poor wiring anyways.

Thanks

So will the D-Link homeplugs be able to download at 1800kbps like I can do if plugged directly into the router.

E.g. Downloading content at 1800kbps from Playstation Network.
      You would be able to download at +18000kbps, if you connection supported it.

TomD

Useful Utilites