Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Homeplug questions

This is a discussion on Homeplug questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks Pete, glad you're onto a winner with those. I ordered the D-Link's from Amazon this morning, and ordered Express ...

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Homeplug questions

Thanks Pete, glad you're onto a winner with those.

I ordered the D-Link's from Amazon this morning, and ordered Express Delivery, so they'll be here in the morning, they've never let me down before.

Will let you know how I get on with the D-Link's tomorrow.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You could buy another homeplug with the wireless access point on it (a little aerial), that will extend the range for your laptop to any room/area it is plugged into. You could even run it to a shed or in the garden and surf happy.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Yes I know that Smithy but I didn't buy them for my laptop which does use a wireless connection. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

To be honest Wireless networking is total and utter pants. The only thing it does have going for it is that it does away with ethernet cables as far as a laptop is concerned. My personal opinion is that if your gonna have a laptop then there is not a lot of point in tying it down with various cables and such. I like the quirky lil ole touch pad you get with them cos I don't have to use a mouse wired or otherwise, I like the fact that the monitor is part and parcel of the overall package even though it's small, I like the tiny tiny keypad even with my big two fingered typing BUT and it's a big BUT only for the portability. Otherwise a tied down desktop with loadsa wires hanging out the back will outperform any laptop.

The main problem with wireless, is that as the signal strength goes down the wireless card will adjust the speed of the connection downwards to try to keep the wireless link stable. My laptop says my wireless is working at 108Mbps but it lies through it's hairy teeth because it also says that my signal strength is low so there is no way it is running at that speed. But it is convenient and that's the best that can be said for wireless.

Donkey's yonks ago I used to work with wireless links that transmitted a half watt at 2.4 Mhz. the frequency that wireless networking works at. we had a link that went over an estuary and when the tide was in we had a 100 per cent link. when the tide went out the link dropped out. Summer was murder cos when the trees grew leaves we had to go out and move antennas to maintain the signal path. Terrible terrible frequency and terrible terrible reliability because of the low power and the working frequency of 2.4 Mhz. Mind you as the frequency rises so "line of sight" problems become exaserpated so what we really need is wireless networking working down on the old long wave frequencies and a couple of mega watts of power. Bright red glowing out valves (yes valves I am that old LOL) I always found worked wonders.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Ah valves, you just cannot beat a set of 6550's running in class A. sound lovely. As for wireless links, agree all the way.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Gordon bennet Brian you must be as ancient as me. Haven't done much with valve biasing for years and years (for those of you not as old us note the difference in spelling Bias not bios LOL)

AFK_Matrix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just thought I would put my 2p's worth in and sorry if this has been said before. I too got the homeplug set and to begin with had difficulty in getting them to work as I was getting very slow internet speeds. So I phoned their support line and they suggested that I should plug it into an empty socket and voila it all worked. What was happening was the plug was getting interferance from the surge protector I had plugged into the socket next to my homeplug. This may also happen if you have mobile phone chargers etc plugged next to your homeplug. So if you can plug it into a socket on its own.
      Last edited by AFK_Matrix; 28-01-09 at 05:26 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

As with most things, every installation is a bit different and trial and error should see you get the best out of them eventually, mine run fine connected to a twin socket with the other one being used to power a strip plug with all my other PC equipment connected to it.

I think they are a great soloution and beat wireless hands down.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh I am not saying anything against them as it was great when I got them as my wifi was rubbish!! Just saying if you have plugged everything in and your internet is still dead slow (mine was taking like 5mins to load a page!!) then try the homeplug in a socket on its own.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

I have both a phone charger and a battery charger using the same power strip as my Netgear homeplugs. Doesn't cause any problems at all!
      It all depends on the quality of each houses's electrics and there is no blanket 'once size fits all' answer!
      I also use a mobile phone within 1 metre of my wifi router and they do not cause problems with each other!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Exchange:
      Thanks

It was only a bit of friendly advice mate calm down. I just had this problem with my homeplug and it was just a bit of advice if he had the same issue. I wasn't saying this would happen with all homplugs etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast