Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sick of connect, capacity seems to be available yet Sky say no Mid for me!

This is a discussion on Sick of connect, capacity seems to be available yet Sky say no Mid for me! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Lengthy title I know, hopefully some of the masters of these forums can put me out of my misery and/or ...

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sick of connect, capacity seems to be available yet Sky say no Mid for me!

Lengthy title I know, hopefully some of the masters of these forums can put me out of my misery and/or give me some real ammo to challenge Sky with.

On moving 200 yards down the road, turns out I'm on a different Exchange (Fulham, London) and upon re-ordering Sky BB, I was told Connect was the only package available due to there being no capacity at Fulham Exchange. Fair enough, I argued it down to 10 a month as Sky said they had no plans to upgrade exchange and they wouldn't stretch to 5.

After some serious detective work, I found this . Its an excel spreadsheet of capacity at BT exchanges. On the "Summar" tab, you can see Fulham removed from the restricted list. Is that surely not the news I've been waiting for?

Turns out due to BT closing down the West Kensington exchange, they were moving all kit to Fulham exchange and it was then classified as Restricted availability, and I'm guessing this is the reason connect was the only option.

After checking availability using Nildram , it comes up Red, still no capacity, however, Usertools says it's Green capacity?

So my question is, if anyones still reading, how the hell can I convince Sky to reconsider my Connect status. I called friday night and they gave me a "computer says no" answer, and practically cut me off, so any advice massively appreciated. Currently throttled at 200kbps. Ridiculous.

Cheers chaps

Paul

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sick of connect, capacity seems to be available yet Sky say no Mid for me!

there's no one in any department of Sky who can tell you when it's getting unbundled/extra capacity...it's just done and people moved automatically...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulo de muchi View Post
      So my question is, if anyones still reading, how the hell can I convince Sky to reconsider my Connect status.
      Sky agents will just go with what their system tells them. Even if they knew there really was capacity, if the system said there wasn't then I suspect there would be no way of processing the order.

It is massively in Sky's interests to have you on their LLU service rather than Connect so I doubt there are any artificial barriers being raised. Sorry but it looks like Connect only for the time being - unless you're prepared to move ISP. Be*, O2 and UK Online are all showing as having a presence in the Fulham exchange. Maybe they have capacity? If not then there's always cable.
      Last edited by Saturday; 18-01-09 at 09:19 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The fact that Plusnet''s tool is showing green for your exchange does not mean anything as far as Sky's capacity is concerned. Sky have enabled the exchange but all the places available have been taken up.
      If you go there on Connect you would be in a queue and be transferred to LLU when a place becomes available. It is anyone's guess when this may be. If you read through the forum you will find that Connect is a dismal product, difficult to fix if it goes wrong and heavily throttled at peak times. There are 6 other ISPs who have unbundled your exchange, including O2, who are very well thought of by many forum members. You may be better making enquiries with them to see if they have LLU places available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys. I guess I'll sit it out for a while. Checked all other suppliers of LLU'd services when I moved into property, none are able to offer BB other than the Connect and equivalent services (piggybacking BT).

I was hoping that the migration of other users from West Ken, to Fulham was the reason BT were indicating to Sky and others that they can not offer their LLU'd services to customers. Now that Fulham were taken off the Restricted Availability list I was hoping that may solve it, but I gather not from previous posters.

Will keep people updated and get back to browsing at a blistering 200kbs.

cheers

kipper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi, sorry but saturday is correct, if the system says no then it is no! Even if you could and knew it, if the system says no you will not be able to do anything about it!