Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Getting another SKY line for broadband

This is a discussion on Getting another SKY line for broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No sorry i meant, my girlfriend lives twice as far away from exchange, in an older house and is picking ...

CoNs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Getting another SKY line for broadband

No sorry i meant, my girlfriend lives twice as far away from exchange, in an older house and is picking up 15meg speeds

the thing that is annoying me is with BT i was getting perfect 8mb/s 24/7 all day everyday.. then supposedly upgrade to 16mb and get less than 2mb

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately, Sky LLU requires a good clean line to operate at it's best. It is also possible that the line you were using for BT is far better than the one you are using for Sky. Although they may be the same length, one could be much better than the other. Your attenuation of 36dbs suggests you should get 10-12 Mbs, it is very unlikely you will get near 16Mbs.
      It may be worth asking Sky if they can change over to your other line, it is a pity you did not get the attenuation from it before the BT connection was ceased, then you would have a comparison. If you changed using a MAC I am surprised that it did not automatically go on the ex-BT line. The purpose of MACs is to identify individual phone lines, not premises, so it should have gone on your other line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes thats what keeps confusing me, but as you say my last broadband had its own dedicated line installed for the sole purpose of broadband

think i may just have to suffer with a 2meg connection which is a shame really.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also forgot

no one really answered my Q.

Is it possible to get another SKY line just for broadband?

i was told that when i gave my MAC code it should of got put on my second line. But they decided to put it on my line that had SKY already.

If so does anyone know costs? i have to phone sky back later today and give them some stats because since an Extra Sky+ multiroom has been added my speeds a have dropped to 733kbps

Thanks

It may be worth asking Sky if they can change over to your other line,
      I don't think anyone here can say for sure, all you can do is ask. To be honest I doubt if you will get anywhere phoning, you will be shunted from pillar to post by persons who do not know what to do. You would be better writing to Sky, telling them what you want to do.

It appears Sky have not used the MAC to move you, if they had it would definitely have been on the other line. This means that BT will still have a 'tag' on your old line as the MAC has not been used. They appear to have used the number you have registered for Sky TV.

You might want to put your number into this page and see what it returns - Wireless Broadband Deals & Unlimited Broadband - Join Now if it gives a better result than your present connection, advise them of this in your letter. If it is poorer, forget about it and do what you can to improve your existing connection.

Concerning the last point in your previous post, do you have the extra box connected through a filter? If not this is probably the cause of your speed reduction.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys little update

just spend the last hour on the phone to a very nice Irish girl, apparently my line hadn't been configured correctly since it had never had broadband on it, adjusted a few settings and now my setting look like so

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12542 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 2 db 6 db

and i am not even connected to the downstairs master socket. Don't know if its worth putting it down there or just leaving as is

if i put it downstairs i would need to invest in either 4 homeplugs or 2 homeplugs and a x360 wireless adapter.

Anyone think its worth doing for an extra couple meg? probably cost me 150+

Thanks

So the mistake comes back to Sky not using the MAC to move your connection. Big kudos to the Irish girl for spotting what was wrong.

It might be worth plugging into your Test socket to see what you get. As it stands your noise margin is very low. This means it is likely to drop the connection and re-sync at a lower speed. If you get a healthy margin from the Test socket, it may be worth the expense of moving it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes technically it was skys fault,

i am happy with 12-13meg tbh, i was paying 24.99 for 8mb now paying 5 or 10 for 13.

It just seems alot of hassle to go through moving the router and getting wireless adapters for the sake for 2 or 3 meg

thanks for everyones help though i learned alot trying to fix and test it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123