Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sky Broadband Max getting slower and slower

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Max getting slower and slower within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; no there is no noise on the line, and the wiring in the house is new I re-ran all the ...

dsmclark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STLYMTN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Max getting slower and slower

no there is no noise on the line, and the wiring in the house is new I re-ran all the cables as they were about 12years old. as we are having some work done on the house though I will be moving the master socket soon and where the cable comes into the house. I think when I was changing all the cables sky must have capped me then. what can i do to get the noise margin up?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Your not capped, if you where your noise margin would be a lot higher.

There is certainly an issue here, can you get the stats from the test socket? this will rule out any internal wiring issues. That noise margin is way to low and you should easily be getting the full 16Mb with a good line.

Sky cannot speed you up because in doing that the noise margin will fall even lower and the line will drop.Until the line is sorted you will see no improvement.

Thanks

I won't be able to get the stats from the test socket untill this evening as i am at work at the moment. back to using a non sky router what will happen then if i don't use the one provided? would they slow my connection down? and where can i find the T&C that mentions I have to use there equipment? I had a look on the sky website and couldn't find anything about it

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

-------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

At the moment, 100's or more than likley 1000's of people are using their own router for one reason or another and upto now we know of no one who has been penalised for this.

You will not be slowed or capped for using your own router, the problem you are having is not with Sky's equipment or your router, there is a problem somewhere with the line or the way you have set it up.

The very best thing you could do is trace the master socket and fit a filtered faceplate and site the router as near to it as you can, this will ensure the best feed to your router without any interference from the rest of the house wiring.

Move away any wireless phones from the router and run either a ethernet cable to the PC or fit some homeplugs which effectivley do the same thing but without running in wires.

Remove any wires from the back of all phone points that go into terminal 3, you should only need to use terminals 2 & 5. This includes any in the master socket.

People have a tendancy to use any old wires to run in phone sockets, alarm cable etc, this can also cause problems if it is not sheilded or twisted to reduce interference, just because it's new doesn't mean that it is not causing problems.

Stats from your test socket later will narrow the fault down.

Thanks

(d) Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router.

It does say via your wireless router and not the wireless router supplied by sky. as the other router I own is my property as well isn't this covered? It was a pain to get all the asdl settings of the sky router though. I will take the sky router home then and plug that in, the only problem is I am using it as an access point and switch in my office at the moment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You will not be slowed or capped for using your own router, the problem you are having is not with Sky's equipment or your router, there is a problem somewhere with the line or the way you have set it up.

Remove any wires from the back of all phone points that go into terminal 3, you should only need to use terminals 2 & 5. This includes any in the master socket.
      I'll keep everything as it is for now then.

Yeah I Read about the only having to use 2 and 5 when I changed all of the wiring.
      This is the cable that I used

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
      (d) Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router.

It does say via your wireless router and not the wireless router supplied by sky. as the other router I own is my property as well isn't this covered? It was a pain to get all the asdl settings of the sky router though. I will take the sky router home then and plug that in, the only problem is I am using it as an access point and switch in my office at the moment.
      you'll notice it says Wireless Router (note the capitalization) meaning the Sky wireless router...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you'll notice it says Wireless Router (note the capitalization) meaning the Sky wireless router...
      Yes sorry I was just being pedantic. Just a bit annoyed that when I signed up with sky they said I could use my own router obviously just saying anything to get us signed up. also when I originally signed up it was a special offer of 5 a month, but as they were messing me around so much I didn't bother

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

To be honest that is still a sloppily worded piece of legal speak and if that went to a magistates court I would think that could be sucessfully argued that it is ambigous and not clearly set out, even with the capital letters.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast