Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last chance to cancel!!!

This is a discussion on Last chance to cancel!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It's 6 working days since my activation date. Up until two or three days ago, everything was fine and I ...

Colin57 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Last chance to cancel!!!

It's 6 working days since my activation date. Up until two or three days ago, everything was fine and I was well impressed with the speed of my new connection. Then I noticed that I wasn't able to get onto certain websites and the speed dropped right down at times. The speed thing I understand and can cope with. The access thing I think is TOTALLY unacceptable.

The technical help was absolutely no help whatsoever, after doing all the obviously-not-going-to-help deleting of temporary internet files, history etc, resetting security levels and other such guff, they asked for a list of websites that i couldn't access and suggested that they might be down (what, ALL of them!!??) Anyway, I'm starting to regret switching from my old provider (orange) as I had no such trouble with them. Although it was 17.99 a month, I can see you get what you pay for now.

Reading my contract, it seems I have 8 days to cancel from my activation date - this gives me until Tuesday this week (2 days time)! What I want to know is, are the access issues going to get sorted out any time soon? We use ebay loads in this house and my name will be mud if I don't maintain access to it, to give one example, but access has been non-existent to more websites than I can remember, to be honest.

I need advice quick people! cancel or not???

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      tbh nope dont cancel, give them a bit of time, plenty of people on here to help you

your call

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Adder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I wouldn't cancel, when I joined up I couldn't access quite a few sites either but slowly Sky (or the hosting companies) are getting around to sorting this problem out.
      I've saved an absolute bundle of cash which can go to more pressing needs by signing up with sky and the only problem I have is my high ping which I'm hoping to get sorted if tier 3 ever ring me back (4 days now)

But overall, for a new internet company I'm well pleased with the way things are and will move to.

People will complain, it's natural to complain especially for the british lol, but, not very many praise do they ?

I was one of the people that had to wait an extra week for the router but I waited and now I get the same speeds for 5 as I was getting for 25 per month...

I wish more satisfied customers would post on here, but they don't do they ...When things are working well we tend not to mention it.....

There are plenty of established ISP's out there and if you want to pay the money then go there, personally I'll stay here cos I'm sick of being charged a small fortune by these complete robbers when we all know broadband should be affordable to the masses. In the USA it's peanuts for a decent speed.

You choose bud

Adder

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Colin

At the end of the day only you can decide that but I have to agree with the other posters and say that day by day things seem to improve and SkyBB are gradually getting to grips with problems.

What ever you decide to do good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So I think I've decided to stay with Sky BB. I'm sure in the end they'll take over the internet in the same way they have the telly!

Anyway, it seems that the website access problem is not universal. Also some people can get onto sites that others cannot. My main problem sites are play.com and ebay, but I've seen posts on this site and others where people can get onto these sites. Does anybody have any idea why this is? Surely if it is due to Sky's server or whatever being located in Holland then everyone would be affected?

I'm no techie but I think I'll have a fiddle with the router tonight - saw a post on here (in the main website access thread) about changing the MTU figure or something. Who knows, it might work. If it does I'll let people know!

I also saw a comment that sky BB tech support was in Scotland - but last night when I was on with them twice, one of the blokes (both clearly indian) asked me what time it was here. Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Scotland in the same time zone as us???

The second time it was a terrible line and I could hardly hear them, but I knew what they were saying - delete temporary internet files, history, blah blah blah....

skullkid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: (WMLON)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      i felt like u at 1 point i still do, im over the 10 days of canceling

its close to 2 weeks now for me but im gonna stick it out abit longer
      nout as changedfpr me, i still cant view 50% of the sites i want to view, nore can i play most of my mmorpgs online yet, im not a very happy person right now with sky. im still thinking of leaving if they havent it sorted soon.

but im sure they will sort it. the sooner the better really for all the customers on the 90.193 and 90.194 ip range
      Last edited by skullkid; 25-09-06 at 03:07 PM.
      Motto - "Vis unita fortior"

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not that it will change anything, but how do I check what IP range I'm on?

I fully expect to now be told to look at a sticky somewhere, just too lazy to find it myself! (And my wife will kill me if I spend all night reading forums AGAIN!)

Thanks
      u can use a site like

http://www.whatismyip.us/

that should show what ip ur on, if u cant view it let me know and i will find u another 1
      u can also login to ur router to find out ur net ip as well

via http://192.168.0.1/ id: admin pass: sky
      and it should show ur net status

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Colin57 View Post
      Not that it will change anything, but how do I check what IP range I'm on?

I fully expect to now be told to look at a sticky somewhere, just too lazy to find it myself! (And my wife will kill me if I spend all night reading forums AGAIN!)
      Colin

If you log onto forums after 7pm tonight i can send you a PM with your ip to save you any further hassle

Ged

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      u can also browse most sites using a htpp proxy, but dont use it when ur logining to priv info like home banking online shopping things like that

im using 129.12.3.74 port 3124

u can add that in ur brower settings here r to help sites

ie6
      http://www.proxylst.net/ie6-proxy.html

firefox . mozilla , netscape
      http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CC/CSILUnix/csil_proxy.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast