Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Random Loss of Internet

This is a discussion on Random Loss of Internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, For the past week I've been experiencing random loss of the internet connection with Sky. I see others have ...

gjmartin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Emsworth
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Random Loss of Internet

Hi,

For the past week I've been experiencing random loss of the internet connection with Sky. I see others have been having connection issues, does this look familiar?

Using MS Vista (wireless connection), I would experience web pages dropping out, looking in the system tray the Connection icon (Two Monitors & World ) would drop the World from the icon, leaving the two monitors, and it would report that Local connection was still active (ie. I could access the router) but the Internet connection had dropped.

I thought it might have been a Vista issue, and in the end re-formated and re-installed, but I have still been experiencing the problem.

This evening I walked past my Sky Router (original Netgear) and noticed that the internet light was flashing Amber, minutes later when it had connected again I checked the router logs expecting to see a LCP down, etc. and found nothing of the sort. Another puzzle was that while I was watching the router stats, my Noise Margin dropped to 1.4, and then lost the internet connection, ran back to the router and there was no Internet LED, only power & wireless. Again checking the router logs and there is no indication of a dropout, which I would have thought would be reported in the logs!!

I've been thinking it was my PC/Vista, but now I'm thinking it is either my connection or the Sky router, I might have to get hold of another router from somewhere just to try it out, have other people been experiencing this issue with the Sky Router?

It's a tricky issue to track down by it's randomness, it's only on Vista that I see the issue because of the connection icon in the system tray, XP does not have the same feature of Local & Internet access reported through a system icon. It would be so much easier if the Router reported resyncs, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Random Loss of Internet

has it got the router got the latest firmware on it?

also please can you post some stats...
      Last edited by samperry209; 13-01-09 at 09:51 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Router stats required

gjmartin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Emsworth
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Router ver 1.03.87

Router Stats

Connection Speed 3424 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.2 db 20.0 db

My idea this evening is to get hold of a tool that will monitor the connection for me through Vista, as watching the icon in the system tray to count the number of times it goes down is not much fun!

Any thoughts on a decent free utility?