Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cannot connect 2nd PC by wire

This is a discussion on Cannot connect 2nd PC by wire within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all Having recently switched to Sky broadband, I have had several problems setting it up, and was wondering if ...

panicattack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cannot connect 2nd PC by wire

Hi all

Having recently switched to Sky broadband, I have had several problems setting it up, and was wondering if anyone here could help. Afraid I'm not very computer literate, but will try to include as much relevant information as I can.

Basically, I've managed to get my main PC working on the wired connection (it won't connect via wireless but that is another story) but when I try to hook up a 2nd PC to the router it doesn't seem to get any connection. The corresponding light on the router stays orange and doesn't turn green, and there is no connection when I try to browse the net.

This 2nd PC is quite an old machine (1 GHz processor, 512 ram, basic PCI ethernet adaptor etc) but I can't see why this would be a problem, as it worked ok with my old setup before I changed to Sky (it had a weird piggyback setup before, where it was using the main PC as a proxy server to access the net, because that ISP package did not allow more than 1 IP address).

I have checked the cables numerous times, and even went out and bought a new Cat 5 cable (rather overpriced from Curry's) just in case it was the yellow ethernet cable that Sky sent me, but the problem is still the same.

I also tried installing a wireless adaptor (Netgear WG111v3) which installed OK, says it has connected to the router, but again no data comes through when I try to browse a website to test.

Not knowing much about computers and networks I'm about out of ideas now. Hoping someone here can help!

Thanks in advance for any replies

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cannot connect 2nd PC by wire

Your problem is with Internet Connection Sharing which sets an odd IP address and ICS needs to be disabled in Windows.

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

I think orange indicates the connection is at 10mbps rather than the 100 it would normally be.
      Does it work if you disconnect the first PC?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

but when I try to hook up a 2nd PC to the router it doesn't seem to get any connection. The corresponding light on the router stays orange and doesn't turn green, and there is no connection when I try to browse the net.
      When you plug your second PC via cable into the router, is the light on the corresponding number / port (on the front of the router) lit up? Also there should be a light on the netword card on the second pc.

It could be that the network is confused or using old settings.

Try this on the second PC (assuming you are using XP)

• Go to Control Panel
      • Go to Network Connections
      • Right click on your connection (usually called Local Area Connection) and make sure that it is enabled, if it is it should offer you the option to disable.
      • Right click on it and choose properties, in the box at the bottom, find Internet Protocol TCP and double click on it, On the general tab, you can try adding to: Tick use the following IP address, and add 192.168.0.10 then 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway should be 192.168.0.1
      • Tick Use the following DNS, and add 192.168.0.1
      • Then save / apply / OK

• Open IE and go to tools, click Internet Options
      • Click Connections
      • Make sure never dial a connection is ticked
      • Click LAN Settings
      • Make sure none are ticked
      • Click OK
      • Click OK
      • Try to see if above has worked

If not reverse the above.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If you are using XP open CMD from the RUN command on the Start Menu. This should give you a command window with a C:\> prompt. At this prompt type:

ipconfig /release (note the gap before the / character)

then type:

ipconfig /renew (note the gap again)

then:

ipconfig /all this will list the status of all your network cards.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello again all

Sorry for the late reply, had to be away for a few days.

I have tried the suggestions given here as far as I could, but can't get it working yet.

@fihart - I couldn't find the setting for ICS, not sure why. It should be under the Properties of the LAN connection, shouldn't it, under the Advanced tab? All I see on that tab is the option to enable/disable the Windows Firewall.

@penhryn - It does seem to be connected at 10mbps, at least that's what the connection status tells me, but IE can't find any pages when I try to browse.

@NewsreadeR - I followed your instructions here, it was set to obtain IP automatically but I entered the numbers that you said. About the lights, the light on the network card is lit, and the light on the router (it's currently plugged into socket 1 on the router) is lit but stays orange. I have also tried switching computer 1 and computer 2's wires around with no joy.

@dms05 - I followed your instructions. The first 2 commands didn't seem to do anything, just gave me a message about "The operation failed as no adaptor is in the state permissible for this operation". The /all command lists the adaptor, and as far as I can tell it looks ok. It does say DHCP is not enabled though, is that important?

Many thanks again, if anyone has any more suggestions. Getting pretty frustrated with it by now, to tell the truth - thought it was going to be easy to set up.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys

Really sorry for bumping this thread again. I don't know what the etiquette is around here regarding bumping old threads, but if it is considered rude then I apologise. I just wanted to give it one last shot to see if anyone had any more suggestions, as I have had to call a local "computer guy" out and he will be coming round on Wednesday if I can't get it working before then.

Once again, huge thanks to anyone who can or did offer advice, and also to those who even spent the time to read this rather boring thread.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You definitely need DHCP set to ON otherwise your PC won't get an IP address from the Router and so won't connect.

As someone else said you'd be best deleting all the settings on your second PC and starting again. It does sound as if you have Internet Sharing enabled (which means 2nd computer connections via the 1st computer whereas you should be aiming to have both computers connected independently to the router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

First go to this page from MS to familiarise yourself with ICS - How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP

Now under - On the host computer
      At item # 8, untick the box for Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection.

Under - On the client computer
      Make sure that - Obtain an IP address automatically is checked.

Enter the router settings and go to LAN IP Set up and make sure that Use router as DHCP server is checked.Switch off both PCs and switch them back on one at a time, they should connect to the router and receive IP addresses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.