Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sky speed problems

This is a discussion on Sky speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok guys here are my stats ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 12282 kbps 764 kbps Line Attenuation 35 db ...

mjdj1689 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky speed problems

ok guys here are my stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12282 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35 db 20 db

Noise Margin 2 db 17db

Hope this helps ????

2. Advertisement
      gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Same with me mjdj1689.

I am receiving exactly the same from various speed testers, and download rates are the same.

Says I'm getting 1.5Mbps and an upload of 638kbps.

Though my sync is a little higher at 16379kbps d/s, and 768 up.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gill07 View Post
      Have to say I have no idea what that means
      Sorry

Each exchange can be grouped with a few others that are in close proximity, and for efficiency, share a common "pipe" which links them to the main network.

If that pipe is full or is having problems then those exchanges will experience throughput issues.

Thanks

Ahh I get you now. It appears my throughput issues and the OP's throughput issues are both from the same exchange, the ALSAGER exchange. I'm sure this will be of interest.

On the same note, Noikz who has also had a throughput issue is experiencing the problem from the Kidsgrove exchange which is roughly 15mins from the Alsager exchange.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-01-09 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjdj1689 View Post
      ok guys here are my stats
      Your stats are fine in terms of sync for attenuation but that low noise margin won't be helping.

If the noise margin drops too low then the router struggles to differentiate between the signal and the noise which generates line errors. Line errors include data corruption and corrupted data has to be resent (possibly multiple times). Resent data will impact throughput.

However, I'm struggling to believe that's the full reason for the huge discrepancy you're seeing - though it could be.

You need to find out what is causing your noise margin to drop so low. When you reboot the router, does it sync at ~7db?

If it does then immediately run a speedtest, wired using Skyuser's. That will at least eliminate the influence of the low noise margin.

If it doesn't sync at ~7db but significantly lower then there's a physical fault somewhere.

Thanks

The low noise margin could count for some loss of throughput but not to such a massive extent. I believe that what you said before about local exchanges being connected to the main network may be the issue here. As the three/four documented throughput cases on these forums have all originated from exchanges within a 5/6 mile radius of one another. The WILLASTON/ALSAGER/KIDSGROVE exchanges.

If this were to be the case, would this affect just the LLU EasyNet network, or would other LLU's be fine?
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-01-09 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post

Exchange:
      Thanks

The low noise margin could count for some loss of throughput but not to such a massive extent.
      Yes, that's what I said.

If this were to be the case, would this affect just the LLU EasyNet network, or would other LLU's be fine?
      I'm afraid I don't know the topography of the Easynet network but I think it unlikely they would share any part with other LLU operators.

However, if the exchanges are small then it is possible that they lease capacity for that part of the backhaul from BT in which case it could carry IPstream as well as LLU. If there is more than one LLU in the exchange then this is less likely.

But that's just guesswork on my part

Thanks

Okay, the ALSAGER exchange carries about 4 or 5 LLU services (Samknows Broadband - Comprehensive Broadband Information), including obviously Sky LLU. If the problem was between these local exchanges connecting to the main network, then for us with throughput issues, if it almost certain that another LLU, or going back to ADSL would solve the problem, as all our syncs are fine.

Anyone able to comment on this?
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-01-09 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post - again

noikz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I have just checked with someone that I know who would know if it was showing on an internal service status. None of those areas are showing any issues. Although that does not explain the current issues.
      I now know of myself and 2 others on the exchanges mentioned who are seeing the same issue. I logged a call with Sky yesterday and had to sit through the same babystep procedures as always (even after explaining I'd already tried the test socket etc). Current SNR is around 20dBA with a minimum of around 17, no line errors or stability issues. No wireless, no spyware, no viruses and none of the other default answers/replies.

I've used 3 different routers, several PC's and multiple download sources. The problem is a single download hits around 50-60KB/s max whilst multiple downloads will usually hit a ceiling of around 360KB/s. My 2nd line (non-Sky) is fine. BTOpenworld test hit a maxium of 60KB/s whilst speedtest.net would vary between 1000kbs to 1400kbs overall.
      Dbox DM7020/Skystar HD + 1.1M Motor (57E-61W) | Dbox DM500 + 90CM Multi-LNB (13/16/19.2/28.2E) | SKY HD 500GB | SKY+ 250GB | Intel C2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz | 8GB Geil | 148GB RAID0 Raptors + 4TB RAID5 Seagates | 8800GTX SLI | Dell 2405FPW

Thanks

Noikz, it would appear that potentially this is a geographical exchange problem, where the exchanges, ALSAGER, WILLASTON, KIDSGROVE, and GOLDENHILL have had Sky LLU affected. Due to the small numbers with these issues at present, it's unlikely that Sky would want to fork out for major maintenance. It is possible that the pipe connecting these exchanges to the main EasyNet network have developed an error someway or another, or has been physically affected. e.g. construction work, building work, minor earthquake etc.

Let me know how you get on with CST, as I'm expecting a call back from them as well. If not, if anyone can confirm that the problem won't be across multiple LLU's then I may have to go to 02.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-01-09 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post - and again

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast