Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sky speed problems

This is a discussion on Sky speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; O2 is just as cheap and doesn't have issues...and they've not cut corners as it's Easynet's network - one of ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky speed problems

O2 is just as cheap and doesn't have issues...and they've not cut corners as it's Easynet's network - one of the best in the country - so there go those theories...

Out on interest, have you run in safe mode, on ethernet, with wireless turned off?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gill07 View Post
      Okay, with Sky providing such a 'cut-price' LLU, anyone think they may have cut corners on costs, and this is showing now with the throughput issues as this may be faulty or knackered Sky equipment.

Had Sky LLU since it's launch at my exchange, Noikz are you the same?
      I must stress again that this issue only seems to be affecting 3-4 users of this site which is over 31400 users.

I know that doesn't help you but that does point to the fact that it is not widespread due to cost cutting etc.

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Fair point. Perhaps it is a local problem then as it has affected both mine and Noikz exchange, which are geographically next to each other (well 10mins away).

I am curious if there is anyone else out there on Sky LLU connected to either the Kidsgrove, Alsager or Willaston exchange that has noticed slow connections speeds over the last 6 weeks.
      Last edited by Saturday; 13-01-09 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed full quote of preceding post - again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      O2 is just as cheap and doesn't have issues...and they've not cut corners as it's Easynet's network - one of the best in the country - so there go those theories...

Out on interest, have you run in safe mode, on ethernet, with wireless turned off?
      Yeah I have, thanks though IANTE, and Smithy, fair point. Just exploring every possibility with an ounce of chance as I'm sure you'd appreciate.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If it is affecting exchanges that are close to each other then it could be a backhaul problem - most networks would aggregate local points of entry (exchanges) to a common point before feeding into the backbone i.e. the aggregation may be overloading the backhaul capacity or some of the capacity has failed.

Just a guess.

tomhill1942 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01744
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I must stress again that this issue only seems to be affecting 3-4 users of this site which is over 31400 users.

I know that doesn't help you but that does point to the fact that it is not widespread due to cost cutting etc.
      I must take issue with this. Looking at the posts on here and other forums there are quite a few people having issues with Sky. I to am having issues with speed and reliability but have not posted this fact on this forum because I have been trying to sort out my problems with Sky on my own. Must also state that too date Sky are not very helpful (but hey that's Sky)

Thanks

The issue in question is a throughput issue where you sync at a good speed but cannot get a good speed.

This is not the a poor connection/disconnection issue.

Most problems with connections are not at Sky's end, nearly all that I read on this forum and others are due to internal setup,wiring, wireless or on occasion the main BT line.

This is outside of Sky's control but I agree at times they do seem unable to deal with these things, on the otherhand CST seem very good if you can get to them.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well, the one situation which I have looked in detail is gill07's and by the looks of it it is almost certainly a problem at Sky's end. That's a test from the test socket, and a file download directly onto the routers memory, so rules out internal wiring, and the computer - router connection and any computer issues.

Maybe any other users could do the speed test from the router. It only however works with the version 1 white router.

Here is the link: Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk,

the test is under ''Router based "speed test"' '

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naza911 View Post
      Well, the one situation which I have looked in detail is gill07's and by the looks of it it is almost certainly a problem at Sky's end. That's a test from the test socket, and a file download directly onto the routers memory, so rules out internal wiring, and the computer - router connection and any computer issues.

Maybe any other users could do the speed test from the router. It only however works with the version 1 white router.

Here is the link: Mel's Notes: Dg834gt-1skuk,

the test is under ''Router based "speed test"' '
      That's why I said "most".

Throughput issues are either at the exchange on the equipment or in the routing to Skys end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      If it is affecting exchanges that are close to each other then it could be a backhaul problem - most networks would aggregate local points of entry (exchanges) to a common point before feeding into the backbone i.e. the aggregation may be overloading the backhaul capacity or some of the capacity has failed.

Just a guess.
      Have to say I have no idea what that means but it sounds a potential problem

Perhaps the throughput issues are actually more than just the few numbers we have on here, maybe some user's don't use the net that much to notice, or some have never come across the website but are experiencing problems.

Either way going to have to call CST back after they hung up on me and closed my ticket number, and see if I can get exchange work done.

Coincidentally, as this problem seems to be a Sky one at the exchange...

THEORETICALLY, moving ISP's would solve this right, not that I want to that is.

As I would then be plugged into a different socket at the exchange using a diff. modem card?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast