Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Sky speed problems

This is a discussion on Sky speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by gill07 After a couple of days off this thread, it seems that no progress has been made. ...

englishrick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky speed problems

Quote Originally Posted by gill07 View Post
      After a couple of days off this thread, it seems that no progress has been made.

Now, if everyone remembers rightly, then when Sky told us then were onto the problem , it could take upto 2 weeks to fix dependant on the severity of the problem.

We've only had 6 days.

I for one, would be interested to see if mjdj's connection is fixed when he completes his migration to BE* Unlimited, because if he then has a great connection again, as far a I'm concerned that's when I'm asking for my MAC code.

Anyone agree?
      They just told me there was no problem at exchange!!!! They said there was the other day...So i'll leave that one to your judgement...
      Last edited by englishrick; 18-01-09 at 01:37 PM.

2. Advertisement
      timwintle1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidsgrove
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by englishrick View Post
      They just told me there was no problem at exchange!!!! They said there was the other day...So i'll leave that one to your judgement...
      Was it the UK call centre you spoke to? Hate to say it but the foreign call centres strike me a being a bunch of incompetents with a script to follow. Woman I spoke to yesterday took a while to click that though my address was Stoke-on-Trent, I was in fact connected to the Kidsgrove exchange.

Incidentally I passed the exchange this morning, no signs of life from the outside. There was a guy washing his car on the pavement outside which struck me as being a little random. He's probably the guy they've sent to fix it, either that or he's had enough of the speed of his Sky broadband and decided to do something else instead.

My plan of action is to call them every day and demand an update on progress. If they fail to give it to me, i'll probably go to the ASA or Ofcom, am still undecided at the moment. Still a bit angry that its taken them 2 months to even ADMIT there's a fault. Let's be honest if mjdj hadn't of made that first post, we'd all probably of been convinced by sky that the fault was with our individual setups at home. Grrrr.

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timwintle1979 View Post
      Let's be honest if mjdj hadn't of made that first post, we'd all probably of been convinced by sky that the fault was with our individual setups at home. Grrrr.
      Not particularly Tim, both mjdj, 'Noikz' and I have been having these problems and raising awareness that it could have been the exchange for a while now, though it seems that all posts regarding throughput have been merged into this thread.

noikz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I know they could do more to keep people informed and with hindsight they could have acted quicker to this issue.

This fault does seem to be quite an unusual one though and certainly one that has taken some tracking down (assuming they know what it is now)

The fact that people affected show a good sync speed and connection has hampered this fault finding as Sky would want the obvious checked first and that would logically be the customers setup and connection. It would have been much easier if the connections had dropped rather than just slowed.

They have admitted that there is a fault, at least to some people, I think this may be a case of the lower support levels not getting all the information to pass across, the higher levels can probably see the faults.

A status page would be great although the one's I have seen on other ISP's tend to be quite slow to respond and in most cases get updated only occasionally.

Just because you havent seen any evidence of them trying to repair the fault doesn't mean they are not doing so, you will have to give them more time, they may need to order equipment ect, they only seem to have narrowed the fault down last week.

I know it is a real pain but at least you have a limited connection for now.
      They didn't admit the fault when I orginially called last year along with other customers who I now know reported the same issue around the same time. I repeatedly explained the fault and the fact that when I switched my gateway to my BE line, all was well with my setup. Only to be greeted by the usual call centre swamp of nonsene, even to the point where an operator argued I should be using a plugin filter with a filtereed faceplate (CST not Tier 1).

It's not really a "pain" as I have another line to use but I begrudge paying for something that isn't working correctly due to sloppy workmanship. If they can't resolve an issue that's affecting potentially thousands of customers (whether the low use subscribers are aware of the underlying issue is irrelevant) they need to bring in some consultants who can do their job properly and quickly.
      Dbox DM7020/Skystar HD + 1.1M Motor (57E-61W) | Dbox DM500 + 90CM Multi-LNB (13/16/19.2/28.2E) | SKY HD 500GB | SKY+ 250GB | Intel C2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz | 8GB Geil | 148GB RAID0 Raptors + 4TB RAID5 Seagates | 8800GTX SLI | Dell 2405FPW

Thanks

Noikz, did you say you'd migrated your Sky line now?

noikz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gill07 View Post
      Noikz, did you say you'd migrated your Sky line now?
      Not yet, BE is the only other realistic option, and I wanted to keep both lines with different ISP's (for reasons such as this). That's why I'm moaning without doing anything.
      Dbox DM7020/Skystar HD + 1.1M Motor (57E-61W) | Dbox DM500 + 90CM Multi-LNB (13/16/19.2/28.2E) | SKY HD 500GB | SKY+ 250GB | Intel C2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz | 8GB Geil | 148GB RAID0 Raptors + 4TB RAID5 Seagates | 8800GTX SLI | Dell 2405FPW

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noikz View Post
      It's not really a "pain" as I have another line to use but I begrudge paying for something that isn't working correctly due to sloppy workmanship.
      Sorry to keep pressing the point and I am no way trying to excuse Sky but how do you know this is due to "sloppy workmanship"?

As the fault seems to be a backhaul issue it could quite easily be a hardware or software fault, or a mixture of the two.

All ISP's have problems at sometimes and all pieces of equipment will eventually breakdown or stop working properly, blaming "sloppy workmanship" is a cheap and unfounded shot, you certainly do not know this is the case.

I hope this is sorted out quickly now that Sky know there is a fault with the equipment and I know you and others are frustrated, I would be, but I am afraid that these things cannot always be fixed with the flick of a switch, you need to allow more time for a proper repair.

i love sky is offline Sky User Member
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hey what about the people(like me) who is in Contract with Sky and cant move there broadband.

so if i want to move away from sky i will have to wait till my contract is up which is about another 8 months so it looks like ive got to stay with Sky.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i love sky View Post
      Hey what about the people(like me) who is in Contract with Sky and cant move there broadband.

so if i want to move away from sky i will have to wait till my contract is up which is about another 8 months so it looks like ive got to stay with Sky.
      The problem will be resolved soon (I hope), so you needn't worry.

However, you would have to pay out the remainder of your contract.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i love sky View Post
      If you feel Sky are breaching their contract by not offering you a product fit for the service than you can ask to be released from it. Either that or you could pay up the contract.

Sky cannot refuse you a MAC code so you can still move and argue it out later if you must but as Sky have admitted there is a fault and that they are dealing with it, it seems a little pointless going through the motions, give the a bit more time, they only traced the fault to the exchanges last week and have already had engineers there on one occasion that we know about.

You could always request your MAC and sit on it for upto 30 days, that way you could use it if they are still getting nowhere.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast