Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A resolution to phone disconnecting Sagem Router??

This is a discussion on A resolution to phone disconnecting Sagem Router?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Some time ago I turned to you guys for help and support! Briefly, one of the issues with my connection ...

lily1000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01206
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

A resolution to phone disconnecting Sagem Router??

Some time ago I turned to you guys for help and support! Briefly, one of the issues with my connection was it disconnected on making or receiving phone calls. 5 BT engineers could not fix the problem although they worked on just about every bit of my line which did improve the speed etc. There was a lot of talk about a 'high resistance' fault with the underground cabling at the front of the property, particularly from BT Escalation's. I gave up on finding a solution and resigned myself to these disconnects, as the speed was great.

Moving along.....I noticed on Tuesday that I had made a call without the usual modem noise in the background. I had a look at my router and saw my line attenuation was a little lower by 3dbs and my noise margin had increased to 15db. The sync speed was the same as usual. Since then I have made a number of calls and no disconnects.

Connection Speed 8032 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 db 18.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.8 db 13.0 db

Is this just a random thing? Act of God? The weather? Is it possible BT has tweaked something? Or Sky?

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: A resolution to phone disconnecting Sagem Router??

Your attenuation dropping is either a fault on your line being cleared or a change of ADSL mode (from ADSL2+ to G.DMT). As you are on Mid which tends to be G.DMT, it looks like a fault has been cleared.

Your noise margin rising and the sync staying the same supports the likelihood that whatever fault there was (which could be local or remote to you) is no longer there.

Hopefully this is permanent and not temporary

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: A resolution to phone disconnecting Sagem Router??

As Saturday says keep an eye on it as a attenuation of 30 and the fault now cleared should mean you could possibly get 12+ meg a sec if you ever moved up to the Max product.

To my mind BT these days rely too much on automated test equipment to try and resolve faults, I was told that when I lost the ability to make/recieve calls but still can use the broadband was a fault with my equipment as the diagnostics all came back OK and so I agreed to pay the 150 for an engineer to come out.

When he appeared he didn't even look at my line, he went straight to the exchange and found a huge fault there that the diagnostics weren't designed to look for.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!