Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 84 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Smithy99 I mean their mistakes by not controlling the connect package as in connect Customer who do not stick to ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Smithy99
      I mean their mistakes by not controlling the connect package as in connect Customer who do not stick to the rules which are a minority.

Sky's problem seems to be that instead of killing off those who try to download everything the internet has to offer, they enforce the traffic shapping on everyone, I'm not sure why they don;t just stick them all on their own pipe and let them fight for it leaving everyone else to do their thing.
      I also don`t think this is helping because connect cannot upgrade
      Our Base product allows 2GB of downloads per month, Mid and Connect offer 40GB, and Max is unlimited, (No Fair Use Polciy). Do not worry if you exceed your allowance, we will not cut you off or charge you extra. If you regularly exceed your limit, we will suggest you upgrade to a product more suited to your online needs.
      as IANTE say`s this is the Jist of it. But someone has to supervise to make sure that was all that was happening
      you download over 1.4GB in a day - you're put into a 'pot' to be monitored...if you continue to go over this amount per day for about 2 weeks, you're throttled as it would equate to breaking the usage limit if added up over a month (e.g. one week you've done, say, 15GB so over 4 weeks you'd do 60GB)...after a week of being below the 1.4GB per day you'll be put into the 'normal' pot and life goes on...
      If that was happening all the time connect would improve
      where as connect Customers who do stick to all the rules and get the same treatment that is what is unfair

2. Advertisement
      Nokboi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Inverkeithing
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

One of the issues we have is that Sky only refers to a monthly 40GB quota and not an 1.4GB daily limit, therefore most users would think that if they dont use more than 40GB in a month then they are fine.

If SKy wish to have restrictive useage policies then this need to be communicated in plain english to all its exisitng customers and to potential customers who are thinking of sign up.

It looks like they have one set of T's & C's on view but actual operate a daily limit rather than a monthly limit.

With regards to comments that Sky should kick off those that exceed their quota, they would relunctant to do so as they do not operate solely as a broadband provider, therefore kicking off a user may lead to the user also cancelling other parts of their Sky subscription.

am looking to move elsewhere but for LLU am limited to CPW or ORange, neither I would touch with a barge pole.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the 1.4GB a day is for monitoring purposes...if you do a one off and then back to below that nothing should happen...quoting myself...

'...you download over 1.4GB in a day - you're put into a 'pot' to be monitored...if you continue to go over this amount per day for about 2 weeks, you're throttled as it would equate to breaking the usage limit if added up over a month (e.g. one week you've done, say, 15GB so over 4 weeks you'd do 60GB)...after a week of being below the 1.4GB per day you'll be put into the 'normal' pot and life goes on...'
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Good evening all

As I said, I'd be back to report when I've got my Be LLU up and running. No, this is not an smug 'in your face' or a big fat 'f you' to Sky (although I'd like to say that ), but to let other Sky users that are having problems know that there are other alternatives if you have that choice.

I took about 10mins to get setup and it's running first time. Xbox is configured no probs as well. I get the follow synch speed:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:10:49
      Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,325 / 23,702

A hell of a big difference and no restrictions or capping

If you don't have an option, I say stick with it and fight for your service. Don't let Sky get away with treating you unfairly, however, if you have a choice with another ISP with less grief, don't be scared to jump ship

Thanks

Why are Sky doing this to me I read my emails then on Sky forum and run speedtests
      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1232 kbps
      stealthy As I have said before Duration but you have a good one

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

frigging awful AGAIN tonight.

linky

fel699 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dawlish
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

I am on Connect, I have NEVER exceeded the 40gb monthly limit, but have been throttled for months and this is an ongoing battle with sky! I have shouted at & lied to: I was once advised that BT were throttling my bandwidth for excessive usage and was told that I had used 4gb of data within 7 days. I argued that I should be monitored monthly, but was told this was excessive. I contacted BT who tested my line and called me back. they said the line was showing 99.9% efficiency & when I asked if they were throttling me, they stated categorically NO and they did not have an issue with my usage! I contacted SKY again and finally found out that even though it says 40gb per month, any mmore than 1.4gb per day and you are traffic shaped between 5pm and 12am. Only 1 person out of all the calls i made was able to tell me this and they found it by accident. I also found it in the terms, but this does not excuse me being told BT were doing it! I find it strange that i am accused of affecting other users, when my usage is mostly after 11pm anyway and as i go thru a bt exchange & bt don't have an issue??? I pay 17 a month for a service that doent even enable me to use you tube during the day! I was told anything above 256kbps is considrede broadband, but sometimes i am way lower.

Bandwidth after 11:15pm usually between 5 and 6.9mbps

Current bandwidth: (8:56pm) = 1639kbps!!! LOL

Why is it that if I was in a SKY compatible area, I could pay 5 on top of my SKY tv and phone package with no problem on usage, but I pay 17 and am being throttled ? BT dont have an issue, so i cannot understand Sky's problem, it does not make sense?

also, over the past 2 weeks, bit lord has stopped responding completely, torrents fail to start... are p2p being managed also?

I was given a service ticket 2 weeks ago & was told there was a log to say adjustments had recently been made to my connection but they could not get anyone in resolutions to take my call and someone would call me within 3 days.....hello? hello? I am giving them 1 more chance tonight, then I am cancelling my broadband and phone subscription.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?-speed.jpg  

Thanks

fel699
      Hi I know what you mean my speeds have been at the lowest D 135k and U 86k and I believe that every connect Customer are having the same problems different days through the week I have 3 day good speeds and 4 vary around 1Mb sometimes below have you put the information ask for on the first page
      * Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 7mb (what you would normally expect)
      * Current throttled speed: 5mb (Use our broadband Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester to check)
      * Average usage per day: A little / A lot / Hammer my connection *
      * What does this throttling affect? Browsing / Gaming / Torrents / Or other *
      Thanks for your comments we need to get as many connect comments as possible Wish you all the best. I know its annoying if you do decide move hope your next ISP gives you great speeds

Death is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I Have been slowed down biiigtime,i cannt even load a youtube video,and im stuck with sh**ty sky all year!!!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
      I Have been slowed down biiigtime,i cannt even load a youtube video,and im stuck with sh**ty sky all year!!!
      You are on Sky Max according to you profile and this Connect problem is nothing to do with the issues you are having.

There is no traffic shaping or throttling etc on Sky Max you need to do what I advised in your other post and give your stats and check your setup. If you are stuck with poor speeds chances are it's your fault, not Sky's.