Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 82 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; IAmNotTheEnemy Not slow, but if you are not supposed to be affected by the capping then a loss of 200k ...

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

IAmNotTheEnemy
      Not slow, but if you are not supposed to be affected by the capping then a loss of 200k is definately a problem

I'd love to get 350k at this time, but lucky if I get 150k IF I did get 350k, then my ports would be blocked very shortly after... it's a lose-lose situation for me

Too bad I don't have Virgin cable in my area, got Virgin (ex Telewest, ex Blueyonder) at my folks place, never had a problem, even the traffic management does not affect use when it kicks in - 20MB service normally gives ~2.2MB speeds, capped you still get ~250k, and soon a 50MB service!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I've never had any ports blocked on Connect - which ones in particular?...

baring in mind my connection is purely for browsing/buying music...

as for the loss of 2Mbps, yeah it makes a song download take a few seconds more but doesn't stop any streaming off YouTube/radio shows on iPlayer at all (not that I stream a lot anyway)...

I have a fairly basic use of the Internet - I don't game so there's no strain on my connection...

and seeing as I do all my downloading during the day/at work I don't have to wait for a lot...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      I've never had any ports blocked on Connect - which ones in particular?...
      First mentioned back on paged 58 of this thread

Service and ports are fine tonight, but then again, I've not used them for a good few days. I find it completely insane that pop3 is blocked at anytime at all!

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Managed to put the two on together with a lot of Help.
      I wanted everyone who reads this post. To look and see what happens for no reason except for an overflow of connect Customer and a minority usage policy or cat and mouse anyway that enough of me rambling on. The bottom one is happening at the moment

Last edited by steve16751; 02-03-09 at 01:06 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

You could run a speentest.net test ten times and never get the same speed, it really is a bad test site.

Try the Sky User one, it seems to be a bit better.

That's not saying there is no problem with Connect before everyone jumps on me but to use that site as proof of poor speeds is streching it.

I don't think there is an ISP out there who doesn't have to traffic shape at one time or another, connect for the price is about as good as it will get, and I would imagine that they make no profit with it.

I wonder how much of the user base notices the problem, is it just the heavy downloaders and gamers who will be more critical, I would think so. I'm just glad my exchange is LLU as I cannot fault that, it's superb.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stealthy View Post
      First mentioned back on paged 58 of this thread

Service and ports are fine tonight, but then again, I've not used them for a good few days. I find it completely insane that pop3 is blocked at anytime at all!
      well, I've never had 110 blocked, I use my own domain and email and it always works...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

steve16751
      I think the problem is that 2 terms come into play here, the first Excessive use during peak times only applies to those who are downloading a lot. The second Trafic management of our network, applies to everyone, irrespective of how much you download. I think there are a lot more suffering from the latter than the forums reveal

T & Cs

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You could run a speentest.net test ten times and never get the same speed, it really is a bad test site.

Try the Sky User one, it seems to be a bit better.

That's not saying there is no problem with Connect before everyone jumps on me but to use that site as proof of poor speeds is streching it.

I don't think there is an ISP out there who doesn't have to traffic shape at one time or another, connect for the price is about as good as it will get, and I would imagine that they make no profit with it.

I wonder how much of the user base notices the problem, is it just the heavy downloaders and gamers who will be more critical, I would think so. I'm just glad my exchange is LLU as I cannot fault that, it's superb.
      Hi! Smithy99

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with your comment re Speedtest.net (and others) not giving steady readings, I do think that 16751steve's post does prove that there is a massive difference in speeds taken in early to late evening and again in the 'off peak' period.

Whatever speed test you use I think this differential would become quite apparent

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yunorisson View Post
      I do think that 16751steve's post does prove that there is a massive difference in speeds taken in early to late evening and again in the 'off peak' period.

Whatever speed test you use I think this differential would become quite apparent
      That is why I said:-

__________________________________________________ ____________________
      "That's not saying there is no problem with Connect before everyone jumps on me but to use that site as proof of poor speeds is streching it.

I don't think there is an ISP out there who doesn't have to traffic shape at one time or another, connect for the price is about as good as it will get, and I would imagine that they make no profit with it."

__________________________________________________ _______________________

People have to understand that BT do not allow traffic to run through their equipment free, there is a price for it, Sky will make no money if everyone downloaded their 40gig every month.

Sky's problem seems to be that instead of killing off those who try to download everything the internet has to offer, they enforce the traffic shapping on everyone, I'm not sure why they don;t just stick them all on their own pipe and let them fight for it leaving everyone else to do their thing.

Plusnet did this a while back and it caused some trouble but they soon shifted the heavy downloaders, they let them move whilst still in contract just to get rid of them.

Maybe Sky do not have the facility to do this, but to be honest, for the price people are paying I'm not sure how many better deals there are out there. The only way to improve on the connect package assuming you have no LLU at the exchange is to pick a more realisticaly priced produce and to get the 40gig with little slowdown at peak times I think you will be looking at about double the 17 price tag.

Truth is, I don't see that many people posting their problems with connect, it seems to be the same faces posting many times (I'm not saying this is wrong) I would imagine that it really isn't upsetting as many people as you think, and those that are can only look at leaving because I honestly don't think that Sky are being worried enough with people leaving to spend the extra needed to pull it back upto speed.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I did Bt test first which was lower then speedtest.net so I could put two photo`s
      which stood out. Speed again has risen
      Bt speed tester at 18:17
      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:-provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4128 kbps (DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3222 kbps
      Isitme I think you are right they are watching to see what happens. I have had a look at
      view who`s online and was amazed how many viewed this thread so what we the connect Customers need is if you are having a problem with connect leave a post it gives you a chance to have your say even if you are getting great speeds good luck to you
      Smithy99
      You are talking a lot of sense but connect at 17 is classed with LLU mid same 40G but mid price is less and no throttling there are connect Customers who have LLU in their exchanges but no free slots. Then the connect Cusomers being told that your area is earmarked for LLU very shortly but after 2yrs I wonder if anyone has waited over two and a half or more years so you can imagine how connect Customer feel
      Sky's problem seems to be that instead of killing off those who try to download everything the internet has to offer, they enforce the traffic shapping on everyone, I'm not sure why they don;t just stick them all on their own pipe and let them fight for it leaving everyone else to do their thing.
      or failing that LLU in more exchanges like connect Customer were promised