Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 81 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have just ran Bt speed tester back to normal so ran Speed.net as below it is not that I ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

I have just ran Bt speed tester back to normal so ran Speed.net as below it is not
      that I am annoyed butSky say one thing and then do the opposite I would say anyone who has a contract with It is worthless if they can alter it any time they
      want and bring in new rules? I will leave it there and post again later

2. Advertisement
      yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      I have just ran Bt speed tester back to normal so ran Speed.net as below it is not
      that I am annoyed butSky say one thing and then do the opposite I would say anyone who has a contract with It is worthless if they can alter it any time they
      want and bring in new rules? I will leave it there and post again later
      Steve

You are a lovely guy. It is very, very simple Sky Connect should be ditched as it is sub standard product (after 5pm).

Get out now, they are having us over. Select an ISP that guarantees no throttling and no port blocking (NewNet or IDNet) for an enjoyable re-introduction to the internet as we should all expect.

It really is up to the individual to regain the internet as it should be.

Ditch, give the elbow, to Sky Connect......NOW!!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky don't port block - just throttle...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

IAmNotTheEnemy
      Explain to me how my downstream dropped from having good speeds for four nights to this tonight nothing else has changed I updated my signature with the readings you can see at month 3/day1/2009 at 6:37PM GMT. My first signature with speedtest.net Because so many users on this forum use it I thought I would do the same so at month3/day1/2009 at 2:26AM GMT same server ping 76 ms distance the same upload 376 BUT Download 3412. I think that is a big difference. Someone tell me what has happened (I have tried to put the other speed test
      up hopefully its there I wanted to put them up on the same post)
      Last edited by steve16751; 01-03-09 at 11:28 PM.

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      Sky don't port block - just throttle...
      I guarantee you they do port block. See my previous posts and you will see which ports they have blocked when they did it to me. It's not a case of certain traffic is shaped, they are blocked! All you need to do is run verbose logging (or even manual commands like mail spoofing, telnet, FTP, etc) and you see how far you are (unable) to get.

Unfortunately, I have dealt and worked with the industry enough to not believe a word ISPs tell you... it's not good business if they told negative truths

Fair enough for those that get a decent service from Sky - all the best for the future... honest, but I've had enough and my Be (O2) LLU service will be live (fingers crossed) this Wednesday

I've heard nothing but good things about Be so far, and all my friends on it have not had a problem. No usage limit, no contract (apart from 3 months notice!), and maximum speeds for me, yay!

As for speed tests, I normally do not recommend speed test sites, but the use of FTP to an uncapped site like ftp.mirror.ac.uk and downloading a large file using a program like LeechFTP, or WSFTP, or CuteFTP, basically an FTP program with real time stats. Reason for this is so that the user can monitor there speeds in real time and over a set period of time and not in bursts like speed test sites. Unfortunately, that server is no more, not sure if Welcome - The Mirror Service is the same service, but people should get the idea.

I still have Sky TV and Telephone. I will still visit this forum to see how things are with other Sky users

Thanks

stealthy
      Hi and thanks for the hints might have a look. Hope you get everything you want from your next ISP. Well you have a good one. I suppose I am stubborn I am here for the Duration ex Matelot never leave a sinking ship.
      (for anyone who reads this its ok I don`t mean Sky I mean connect)

stephem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Stratton
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Finally got a response from Sky to my latest e-mail:

"Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre in regards with your Broadband Speed issue.
      Having read through the dialogue you have been having with Sky, please allow me this opportunity to resolve the matter finally for you.
      You stated in your last email that you are a light user of the Internet. If this is the case then the speeds you are receiving at peak times should not affect your usage of the Internet. The monitor and control of the Sky Broadband Connect speeds is not done on an ad hoc basis but affects all customers on this product. This is due to it not being part of the Sky Broadband network, rather an alternative in areas where the exchange has not yet been upgraded.
      It is done to maintain connectivity for all users and to ensure our customers recieve a solid Internet service without any major dropouts or disconnection issues.
      In order for us to cancel the product I would request that you give us evidence of your Internet usage being disadvantaged by this process. If you can do so then we will indeed cancel your product in line with the contract.
      As a goodwill gesture I will place on your account an offer to reduce your Sky Broadband Connect billing to 10 a month for the next twelve months."

So, if you are a light / medium user Sky have decided that you don't need a fast connection during peak periods. Sky's throttling is making general browsing and downloading very slow in the evenings, and watching youtube, iPlayer etc is usually impossible, but what "evidence" can be provided to show that I'm being disadvantaged?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As a goodwill gesture I will place on your account an offer to reduce your Sky Broadband Connect billing to 10 a month for the next twelve months."
      ......And I suppose this will extend your contract as you will be accepting a new one.

It is difficult to reconcile the reply with this from the T & Cs-
      There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      ..........if streaming video from the web is next to impossible. Anyone trying to use VoIP?

How you would 'prove' you are being disadvantaged is difficult to say. A set of speed results from the official BT performance test might help, but who knows? It must be coming to their attention that many Connect customers are very unhappy, so they are going to make it as difficult as possible to leave.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

to Steve...

I can't explain it - I've not been looking at your connection at all so can't comment on the real time stats...

to Stealthy...

just did a quick download off my mates FTP server - currently running about 350KB/sec...not as good as off peak (550KB/sec) but hardly slow...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

stephem
      It's their job to make it hard for existing customers to leave

If you want to fight fire with fire, some things that will be affected by a 'degraded' service are:

- windows/OS updates
      - anti virus updates
      - firewall updates
      - software updates
      - streaming media (video/sound)
      - streaming communication (voice/video/both)

It's not just down to the user to provide evidence, and sometimes it's not easy. Ask the Sky agent HOW to provide evidence of the above. Remember, 'the customer is always right!'. They need to tell you how to prove it if they really wanted to help. If that agent doesn't help, request to speak to secondline (if they have one), or a supervisor that will take your problem seriously. Good luck.