Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 58 of 189 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well even if it's P2P and not streaming, I fail to see how VOIP will work properly during peak hours, ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Well even if it's P2P and not streaming, I fail to see how VOIP will work properly during peak hours, poor capacity means that many packets will get lost.

None of which really matters to be honest, people who are tied into a contract on Connect will have a very good reason to leave, the service is clearly not what was expected at the moment and Sky have done nothing to advise when or if it will be improved.

The last thing Sky will want at the moment is people being taken to court, it will only take one person to get a ruling in their favour and then Sky could see a mass exodus, plus the bad publicity they will receive right across the board which is a shame as I cannot fault their LLU or TV packages.

Anyone who feels that they have been missold or is finding the service unusable should push hard for Sky to let them out of the contract, with enough persuasion I cannot see them refusing to.

Get speedtests during the peak hours, log all the times dates etc and then send a recorded delivery letter stating why you feel that Sky are not fulfilling their part. What have you got to loose?

Get your MAC first so that you can put a move in place as soon as you get confirmation, I doubt they will be happy to loose all the other revenue streams that you have with them.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I agree, BUT...

Everyone in tech, although we know it happens, has had NO official statement as to how to deal with it...

Sky will just argue that you're getting it half price (when comparing it to similar packages) so if it becomes over-subscribed they have to traffic shape to keep costs down...

Sky can't just increase capacity as it'll lead to a price increase which people wouldn't want - the reason they probably came to Connect was it's cheap by comparison...

You have to remember that there are about 50 people in this thread who are complaining - combined with about the same again currently on the cues (some of which are likely to be people in this thread)...end of the day unless ALL Connect customers leave it'll get resolved once management decide what to do...until then, calling tech support is a waste of your, and the agent's, time...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it's P2P isn't it, or is that just Sky Player?...
      BBC iPlayer programmes are either streamed off their webpage or downloaded to watch later. Only the latter uses P2P, and unlike the abomination that is SkyPlayer, you can control whether the P2P function is active or not.

Sky can't just increase capacity as it'll lead to a price increase(
      That's fundamentally the root of the issue, however in talking to an industry insider, the circumstances aren't quite that straightforward.

It would appear that Sky (and other ISPs) are caught up in the transition to 21cn IPstream. Money they spend now adding to the current infrastructure could be largely wasted.

No consolation to those affected though.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Sky will just argue that you're getting it half price (when comparing it to similar packages) so if it becomes over-subscribed they have to traffic shape to keep costs down......
      I understand what and why they are doing it but if they are telling people at sign up that the service is capable of certain things at peak periods and it isn't they have a good reason to want to leave.

Sky can't just increase capacity as it'll lead to a price increase which people wouldn't want - the reason they probably came to Connect was it's cheap by comparison......
      Again, I agree if they want to make a profit they need to be realistic, that does not change the fact that this package is not suitable for some people, if Sky have not made this clear (and I don't believe they do) then they should be allowed to leave.[/QUOTE]

You have to remember that there are about 50 people in this thread who are complaining - combined with about the same again currently on the cues (some of which are likely to be people in this thread)...(
      I don't think this package is wrong for everybody, I couldn't live with it personally and would be forced to pay more with another ISP but if it were my parents or my wife, they wouldn't even notice a problem. More of a reason for Sky to let the few go before it blows up in their face. It will only be a matter of time before someone with enough time on their hands manages to get this reported to the masses, ie, Gadget Show or Watchdog, their new customer base will plummet.

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

yes you do, the contract states that you're connection will be traffic shaped (ok, a bit overzealous - not contesting that!!) but during the day it's fine...

i'm sure Sky have been careful as to how they word it and it's probably why they've not yet said anything officially as they wanna get it right and not leave themselves open to interpretation...
      This is true but when you have the evidance that your connection is being shaped to a degree that it is unusable and you have made the effort to get the situation sorted then you can, Virgin media tried and failed! its not an acceptable level of service and sky need to understand that.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

As I am a connect customer. This thread has been viewed 12,871 and 575 posts. The viewers probably let say a third on connect about 424 let a total of 500 thinking of leaving but in reality most maybe are afraid to take the first step the reason is price or have TV Talk and BB package two out of three no problem. IAmNotTheEnemy who is at all times trying to explain and help connect customers of which he is one.

IAmNotTheEnemy can't just increase capacity as it'll lead to a price increase(
      SaturdayThat's fundamentally the root of the issue, however in talking to an industry insider, the circumstances aren't quite that straightforward.It would appear that Sky (and other ISPs) are caught up in the transition to 21cn IPstream. Money they spend now adding to the current infrastructure could be largely wasted.
      No consolation to those affected though.
      last looked my speeds are ok tonight not like last night 650k but if I can browse
      read this forum it will get better. But reading Saturday post we are not the only ISP with problems. Anyway the more posts on this thread the more people who will read and take notice so come on connect Customers have your say
      as I was writing this now 12,904
      Last edited by steve16751; 10-02-09 at 08:26 PM. Reason: correction 3rd of connect are a guess not actual

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband package: Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: 7mb (what you would normally expect)
      Current throttled speed: 295Kbps (SkyUser speedtester)
      Average usage per day: A little - Moderate (conscious of 40Gb limit)
      What does this throttling affect? email, newsgroups, gaming (xbl), ftp

The following I use regularly, but not enough to warrant any traffic shaping at all imo:

port 110 / non sky mail server
      port 563 / non sky ssl news server
      port 119 / non sky news server
      port 21 / non sky ftp server

Even testing an FTP server from a link from this forum (cant find the link again) timed out while trying to establish a connection.

Seems like most ports apart from standard html traffic is affected. They connect but barely make it pass authentication, then if it does, no more traffic or times out. Why the hell would you throttle/block pop3!!!

Contract is up for renewel or expired already, time to move over to the other LLU available in the exchange (no Sky) me thinks.

Speed throttling I can put up with, but traffic/port shaping takes the P!$$!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're not on LLU as it is, if Sky were available then you wouldn't get throttled...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

leJames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton Courtenay
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Are Sky just throttling P2P then, or everything? Because I'm using Skype at the moment, and the quality is terrible.

stealthy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01702
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

you're not on LLU as it is, if Sky were available then you wouldn't get throttled...
      I know I am not on LLU. I know I would not be throttled if I was on Sky LLU. There is no Sky LLU at my exchange as there is no capacity for it, but there is other ISPs with LLU at my exchange. That should be more clearer