Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 48 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Saturday As far as I'm aware, every Connect customer they lose costs them 30 in termination fees ...

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      As far as I'm aware, every Connect customer they lose costs them 30 in termination fees from BT plus a negative profit (further loss) if the customer has been with them less than ~18 months as they won't have broken even on the set up and recurring costs.

depends on there monthly costs per user, plus any fees pre and post setup, id say 12 months theyd break even

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Gazz380
      Hi The reason Sky offer such a low price is tie you into a twelve month contract
      during the 12 months Sky Talk and now Sky TV tie in for another 12 months all to do with
      making a profit but if you only have say one product Sky will always run at a loss

GAZZ380depends on there monthly costs per user, plus any fees pre and post setup, id say 12 months theyd break even

I think Saturday is being conservative about time I would say about 20months
      Saturday
      As far as I'm aware, every Connect customer they lose costs them 30 in termination fees from BT plus a negative profit (further loss) if the customer has been with them less than ~18 months as they won't have broken even on the set up and recurring costs.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz380 View Post
      id say 12 months theyd break even
      Would you? Based on what?

Connect is 5 or 17/month depending on the deal - i.e. 60 or 204 a year.

• BTWholesale charge 34.86 for connection, 7.63 per month and 33.75 for termination i.e. 160.17 for a one year contract).
      • The rental for a 622Mbit/s BT Central costs around 1.5m a year plus a 175k connection charge.
      • Router provisioning and delivery is about 45.
      • Service costs (people, systems, infrastructure and support) are anyone's guess.

And you think that equates to a 12 month payback per customer?

sistersmirnoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01522
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Thanks

i haven't read all this thread as it is so long but i am having problems with connect too. i am generally at work during the day, only at home at the moment due to the snow. my speeds during the evening have been under 1mb, usually about 700kb which is driving me mental. i don't use the net to download much, i use work's broadband for that lol.

it is now 9.30am and the speed is 6.6mb

i haven't rang sky to complain this time, have in the past, but i get muppets on the phone who frustrate me by telling me there must be something wrong with my pc, laptop or master socket but i am getting towards the end of my tether now!

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sistersmirnoff View Post
      i haven't rang sky to complain this time, have in the past, but i get muppets on the phone who frustrate me by telling me there must be something wrong with my pc, laptop or master socket but i am getting towards the end of my tether now!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz380 View Post
      sky technical basically they admitted there is traffic shaping going on and its all managed by BT he also admitted that it was an agreement between sky and bt to do it, and that there is no plans to fix this issue (like iamnottheenemy) has been telling us, also apparently Tier 1 will be informed shortly and they will be instructed to inform users on the connect package!

meaning its pointless to call sky cause there gonna do jack all about it! MAC codes galore!

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If that is accurate Saturday, and no reason to believe otherwise. then surely someone has mucked up Sky's business model.
      the fella in ts last night sounded despondant at the numbers of mac codes he's giving out.
      Surely it would be cheaper long term to seek out the abusers and kick them off the service than lose potentially thousands of customers. I work as IT support and we can trance broadcast storms etc very easily. surely between BT and sKy they can buy a tool to sort it out?

Or do sky want to offload connect?

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

I think it is clear that Sky's business plan is looking forward to increasing the numbers on their net as opposed to paying for their customers to be on another net.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coreservers View Post
      then surely someone has mucked up Sky's business model.
      No, the same model applies to mobile phones. Overall, more customers stay than leave so over the whole base, profit is made. There's also the aim to do what's called "upselling" and "cross selling" i.e. if a customer has one service then it is easier to sell another, plus extending the customer lifetime. There's also no doubt, an intention to migrate Connect customers to LLU.

It's not Sky's business model that has gone wrong but their business practices: a price increase in a recession, blackmailing customers into taking additional products and failing to keep existing customers happy.

Sky is also, it seems to me, falling into the same trap that mobile companies fell into a few years ago: massive land grab with senior executives bonused on new connections and ARPU with scant regard to customer churn. If the Connect churn is bad (and no doubt causing collateral damage) then Sky's CFO is going to be raising merry hell any time soon.

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree that more stay than go. but people do remember being stung by mobile companies, so many more will go, than did during the mobile scandals a few years ago. I'd have much more respect for companies who were honest with customers, rather than this culture of lies and mis truths that seems to pervade within sky AND BT management. Whether the CFO does raise hell or not is scant reward for 3 months plus of TS nonsense, no doubt led by management, and effectively money down the drain.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

In many ways I think Sky see themselves as "recession proof" the arguement being that customers will cut back on other entertainment outside the home before they cut back on Sky. As to the churn rate on Connect, if they are worried,we can expect to see some changes to the service. but we dont know what the true figure is, there may be many happy Connect customers.
      This will be the first recession that Sky have gone through in which there is an alternative to them for TV, namely Freeveiw (I know it is not the same level of service, but it is better than 5 analogue channels) So Sky may come unstuck, we shall see.
      Last edited by Brian69; 05-02-09 at 12:30 PM.