Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 47 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Please don't all start swearing, as that would then be against our rules. The last thing we want to do ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Please don't all start swearing, as that would then be against our rules. The last thing we want to do is to lock this thread. We understand that frustrations are high, and to a degree have turned a blind eye. However, any attempt to get around our swear filter, we class just as bad as swearing.

It would appear that some people are absolutely hammering their connections, and downloading up to 40gb a day, and so far Sky have not acted on it, apart from implementing the shaping for everyone. So its those people that are messing it up for everyone else. The simplest thing to do, would be to cap or kick those that abuse the service off the network.

This is not an official answer, its my interpretation of what I have heard.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      anything-but is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shorne.
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet option 3.
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well,update on my ticket from the weekend,it was closed!!

No phonecall or anything,no issue raised with BT like was mentioned (not that it would to anything ),lady on the phone was going to put another ticket through but enough`s enough,mac code is on it`s way......shame as up untill all this throttling it was a great package

Bye bye sky,sorry we parted on these terms .

alan26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chellaston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sorry to go kinda "off topic" and forgive me if this shoudl be somewhere else on the forums but.............

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a changed in the recommended maximum speed from BT for their lines?

I have lived in this house for 3 years and when i first moved the bt website estimated my connection speed would be around 5.5mb, which i did used to get at that time when i signed up (sometimes it was about 6mb!)..

Anyway looking on the BT Speed Checker Site now i can only get a maximum of 2.5mb...

Now i questioned this with BT who advised me that they had not changed anything and it must have said 2.5mb all along...

Has anyone else noticed this?

* Sorry again if in wrong place!

alan26uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chellaston
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anything-but View Post
      Well,update on my ticket from the weekend,it was closed!!
      I've had a total of 7 tickets closed without being told, or fixing the problem since i joined in September!

I have seriously considered changing back to BT or even moving to O2 who are now available in my exchange, but i'm just worried that in the end it will be the same speed as now and i'll be paying more for it, as i would have to move the Phone line back to BT from Sky!!! GRR

TazN is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shotley EASHL
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well I've spent best part of 2 weeks trying to understand whats been going on with my internet as I've been experiencing constant dc and lagg while gaming. Believing it was something my end I've triple checked everything that I knew and came to the conclusion it was blizzard and the god awful servers they have.

Then I found this thread which seems to answere the questions I've had, such as if it's a problem my end or with blizzards servers why come 6pm does it instantly go to pot when it's been fine all day?

Broadband package: Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: anywhere between 5-7mb
      Current throttled speed: 1394kb/s notebly better than the 500kb/s I've been getting the last week.
      Average usage per day: Average amount. I'm on for along time but dont dl or youtube.
      What does this throttling affect?: Gaming in particular but also web pages when it's extremly bad

Seems that I may have to just wait it out as only started the contract November last year and as it's part of phone/tv package and nobody else provides tv where I live I'm stuck with this choice.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi Paul
      You are right treat them as a person it is not there fault that it is happening but you do not have to put up with it so if you can do anything please it would be a great help and if you cannot can I talk to someone who can.

paul de muchi Sky just offered to half my monthly BB subs or let me out of the 12 month contract 11 months early.
      Proof it can be done with gentle pressure a polite attitude and persistence.
      Paul at least they are listening to you thats all you need
      Steve

Thanks

alan26uk
      Hi happened to me when I moved to Sky Talk. My line with Bt was 3500k then on Sky Talk 1500k have a look at previous posts on this thread to see what I did what annoyed me was no one would believe me. took some time but got it sorted

alan26ukI have lived in this house for 3 years and when i first moved the bt website estimated my connection speed would be around 5.5mb, which i did used to get at that time when i signed up (sometimes it was about 6mb!)..
      Anyway looking on the BT Speed Checker Site now i can only get a maximum of 2.5mb...
      Now i questioned this with BT who advised me that they had not changed anything and it must have said 2.5mb all along...
      Has anyone else noticed this?
      A similar thing happened to me. I took Sky Talk and when I was with Bt I had a line rate of 3500k as soon as I moved to Sky Talk line rate went to 1500k I no problems until then. No one seemed to listen and just tell me that is what I was going to get 1500k on a earlier post on this thread tells what happened. Sky reprofiled line and asked Bt to run line tests then asked whymy line was held at 1500k when it was not capped by Sky and showed I could get over twice the amount Bt reset the amount for my line A one off person who`s will remain nameless really good rang me back a few times to make sure the changes had taken affect told me to have a look at Bt site and do Telephone test sure enough 1500k then after Sky got Bt to reset the line. Tests 3500k.
      Steve

coreservers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dalkeith
      Broadband ISP: IDnet
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

had an intersting phone call tonight. re-requested my mac codes, told the chap why, and he told me they've been inundated with requests to leave the service since traffic shaping was officially mentioned. he really sounded overwhelmed. so mr murdoch and your corrupt empire goodbye. you and bt are very good bedfellows

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As far as I'm aware, every Connect customer they lose costs them 30 in termination fees from BT plus a negative profit (further loss) if the customer has been with them less than ~18 months as they won't have broken even on the set up and recurring costs.

Thanks

coreservers
      I hope your next ISP gives you everyting you need and does not start to have problems.
      Steve