Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 39 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Oh well i've defected to O2 mac codes been accepted will keep you all posted, i'll still be popping in ...

dazzler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYWAY
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Oh well i've defected to O2 mac codes been accepted will keep you all posted, i'll still be popping in here every now and again for tv gossip etc.

2. Advertisement
      anything-but is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shorne.
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet option 3.
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well,don`t think it`s the snow but my connections at a crawl this evening!!
      Guess i`ll be jumping more than likely on wendsday,just gotta work out where .

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Re: The view from another ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by warweezil View Post
      Actually this can be true, ADSL is affected by "noise" - in extreme cases this can cause resyncs, and then of course BTs ecrapment rates your line as unstable and lowers the profile. Excahnge contention is of course somethign BT have to fix, and that can be a painfully slow process in my experience of being on a market 1 exchange!

We all know that ADSL can be affected by 'everything and anything' (even birds singing) if you listen to the ISP's BUT, BUT, BUT during the day I am experiencing no problems whatsoever, everything is 'coming up roses' why should fridges etc begin to make a huge difference after 5pm EACH evening on que?

As I have said in another post, whilst with another ISP that doesn't throttle, the problem does not exist.

I am afraid that it is nothing to do with contention or overuse of download limits it is pure and simple throttling to all and sundry. The heavy user no doubt has a serious effect on throttling policy.
      Last edited by yunorisson; 01-02-09 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi Just ran Bt speed tester
      DSL D4064k DSL U 448k
      IP Profile for line 3500k
      Actual Throughput 1313k
      I would be lucky to use 5Gbs a month let alone 1.4Gb a day most of my time is spent on this site so what Sky is saying is utter Crap. They must throttle certain area`s in the country on certain days. So that not everyone is complaining all the time I have noticed that through the week.Friday and and Saturday throttle improves to about 2500k Sunday as you can see heavier throttle the start of a couple of days then improves then when you feel it is getting better the throttle start`s again. Reminds me of dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey always close but still untouchable

Isitme I think there may be 2 things at work here, reduced speed caused by exchange contention and Sky's throttling policy for heavy users. Sky say their policy will only effect 2% of Connect users, but if the cut off is 1.4Gb, then it is a lot higher than that.
      I think it is a bit ridiculous to throttle someone for downloading over 1.4 Gb on one day, when they may only download another 2 or 3 Gb for the rest of the month.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Hi Just ran Bt speed tester
      DSL D4064k DSL U 448k
      IP Profile for line 3500k
      Actual Throughput 1313k
      I would be lucky to use 5Gbs a month let alone 1.4Gb a day most of my time is spent on this site so what Sky is saying is utter Crap. They must throttle certain area`s in the country on certain days. So that not everyone is complaining all the time I have noticed that through the week.Friday and and Saturday throttle improves to about 2500k Sunday as you can see heavier throttle the start of a couple of days then improves then when you feel it is getting better the throttle start`s again. Reminds me of dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey always close but still untouchable
      steve

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. My speed is acceptable this evening (Scottish Highlands) although not suitable for 'enjoyable' internet use. If I remember correctly you had 'reasonable' speeds around four days ago.

As you know my speed was back to dial up levels just two or three days ago. It would be interesting to see how other parts of the UK are affected over, say, a three or four day period?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It's all a smokescreen, apart from the odd few, Sky need capacity.

It will vary from day to day as some may be watching football etc and so demand is a little lower which can make a big difference.

Until Sky light some segments or order new pipes it's all downhill.

As I predicted, it will get worse until they do this and it seems to be the case with people reporting slower and slower speeds.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Back to dial up speeds now, 6.55pm. Good luck to those Connect customers who want to look at a YouTube item.

If you want to download a movie then settle down with sandwiches and a flask for the night

A total disgrace!
      Last edited by yunorisson; 01-02-09 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add comment.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

wow, mine is low...

Your DSL connection rate: 5696 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 831 kbps

still streams YouTube fine though...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

leJames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton Courtenay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hello all, thought I'd sign up because I've been browsing this forum for a couple of days expecting a solution to my slow connection.

I'm annoyed with Sky, like a lot of Connect customers, I was able to get Connect for 10pm, which I thought was great, and the 40GB download limit suited my needs perfectly. The connection was slow from day 1, but I figured it was the 10 day testing period. After the 10 days were up, it's still slow. In fact, earlier at 3pm, it took me a good 10 minutes to download a 1.8MB file. I called up Tech Support and they told me to do all the silly tests, which I knew were a waste of time because my setup is fine.
      Anyway, I'll show you my stats, because I was hoping someone with a bit more know-how than myself would tell me if it looks like I'm being throttled, just to double check before I start taking further action. My router tells me:
      DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

Sky say my line is 8Meg, but I don't believe them. Any help would be appreciated!
      Thanks!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Well we could do with more stats than that. Go into the router and hit the show stats button, copy & paste.

System Up Time 242:36:09

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16028 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 12.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.3 db 12.0 db