Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 38 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ellacoya provide traffic management tools (or Broadband Optimisation as they call it I think) which covers all sorts of things ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Ellacoya provide traffic management tools (or Broadband Optimisation as they call it I think) which covers all sorts of things from DDoS protection, deep packet inspection, traffic modelling (which will include traffic shaping), end user usage monitoring etc.

Traffic shaping is a normal part of network management these days. It won't be visible to the end user unless it is so heavily done that a throttling effect is seen.

To run Connect through Sky owned Ellacoya tools would require the Connect traffic to be routed through Sky's network. Do they do that?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

From what i can gather nothing is/was even gonna be done until management who are on Connect kicked off!!!...make of that what you will...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To run Connect through Sky owned Ellacoya tools would require the Connect traffic to be routed through Sky's network. Do they do that?
      Trace routes done by Connect customers show the connection travelling through Eaynet servers. Does this not mean that it is running on the Sky network?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It would certainly seem so.

KnobbyRusset is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Phoned Sky last night ready for a fight!

I explained my situation to the lady who answered, explained I was still in a contract and she sorted out my MAC code with out a charge. 'Should' receive it in the post within 5 days.

Shall be moving back to BT!

warweezil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWPM
      Broadband ISP: Enta
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: The view from another ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      That sounds a very likely scenario to me. And if only Sky had the sense/courtesy/balls to actually explain the reason to their customers then I'm sure those affected would appreciate it and be less (justifiably) upset.
      Lack of communication was the same mistake Enta have made recently, going from being very open to almost secretive, and it has created a LOT of resentment.

Enta also throttle, but it is done openly and incrementally being tweaked as demand varies The Anti Loss Tool (ALT) is intended to prevent packet loss for gamers and intitally was set to manage connections down to 2 megs in stages - each of the 6 central pipes being individually monitored. It has been suggested that it now strips us to 1 meg although I havent seen much evidence of that in my own connection where my issues seem to have been about capacity on the Birmingham node. If network traffic reaches a point below the "floor" of the ALT then yes contention does kick in, but down to that its pretty well managed, and I havent seen many occasions where we have had "black" centrals (packet loss expected)

I know what you mean about a 6pm clamp, Pipex used to apply one at 3.30 pm daily and denied it for weeks, That was why I jumped to Enta, I could see from TBB forum that they were and open and transparent copmpany in dealing with customers. I wonder why it is that ISPs in the UK seem to have an attitude bordering on contempt for us? In my conversations with Consumer Direct over the Pipex issue they did mention the requirement in law to use reasonable skill and care in delivering services, I wonder if a deliberate under resourcing would count? I also noticed at least one person claiming a sub 56k bandwidth, I believe that would fall outside of the recognised description of broadband - but its such a long thread... I cant recall where I saw it.

Am disappointed in Sky, we have a strange situation locally where they have a higher than normal market share due to reception issues, but that will go when digital comes later this year, I had hoped they might unbundle our exchange to help "lock in" customers with a triple play package but if Connect is all thats on offer - I wont bother

Just My Opinion... YMMV

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KnobbyRusset View Post

I explained my situation to the lady who answered, explained I was still in a contract and she sorted out my MAC code with out a charge. 'Should' receive it in the post within 5 days.

Yes they should provide a MAC quickly, but do not expect to get away without paying off the min term of your contract, no matter what the lady said

KnobbyRusset is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Yes they should provide a MAC quickly, but do not expect to get away without paying off the min term of your contract, no matter what the lady said
      Thats what my thoughts were. I'll imaging I'll get a letter to accompany my MAC code if so. She was pretty clear that I wouldn't be charged.

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Yunorisson.
      Why did you leave NewNet?
      Long, long story. Fact is, I did it. We all make mistakes and am now executing damage limitation.

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KnobbyRusset View Post

You were lucky! I had no such offer just two days ago. Good luck if you can get it, keep us posted.