Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 37 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by paulo de muchi May drop the link to this thread in an email later this week. cheers ...

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Quote Originally Posted by paulo de muchi View Post
      May drop the link to this thread in an email later this week.

cheers chaps

Paul
      What a good idea!

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Yunorisson.
      Why did you leave NewNet?

warweezil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWPM
      Broadband ISP: Enta
      Thanks

The view from another ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by yunorisson View Post
      Gazz380

Yes, me thinks that there is a lot of tosh being given out by these so called 'experts' blaming our PC's, our wiring, Christmas lights, fridges going on and off, street lights coming on and going off, exchange contention, in fact anything bar themselves.
      Actually this can be true, ADSL is affected by "noise" - in extreme cases this can cause resyncs, and then of course BTs ecrapment rates your line as unstable and lowers the profile. Excahnge contention is of course somethign BT have to fix, and that can be a painfully slow process in my experience of being on a market 1 exchange!

There is a lead time of several weeks on IPStream centrals, and as no extra capacity seem to have come on line recently I can only assume that Sky have all segments of thier existing centrals "lit" already, but heres a thought. My own ISP has moved this month to a new system a halfway house to 21cn called IPStream Connest (IPSC) which is an ADSL product that provides a stepping stone from the legacy 20CN IPStream products that have been on sale for close on 10 years now - to the shiney and new 21CN product range.

The main change being that providers can take over the bandwidth at a 21CN node.. It allegedly provides the same experience to end users as IPStream but means ISP's can turn off existing IPStream Centrals, which now cost more to run following BT's recent bandwidth price increases of over 20%.. This is for exchanges where 21cn WBC is not yet enabled, and will allow the withdrawal of the old "centrals", which apparently BT are pledged to do during the next year or so. One advantage is that extra IPSC capacity can be lit at very short notice

IPSC requires the ISP to provide their own backhaul from the BRAS in the BT network to their own equipment. which does at least offer the prospect of utilising cheaper backhaul (I believe my own ISP is now using Global Crossing), and this leads me to wonder if Sky are dragging their heels on extra capacity in anticipation of the move? AFAIK At present ISP's switching to the new interconnect have to honour any outstanding contracts for IP Stream centrals, which may dictate Skys movements.

We are at the bleeding edge of this being the first ISP to take it and it has been painful over the last few weeks although it is getting better as capacity is added to the vaious nodes that need it, However the BT price structure is forcing my ISP to revamp its packages and I am watching other ISPs to see where to jump if the new plans don't suit my uses (not a heavy user as such, but I have little use for a big overnight allowance). Sadly in the absence of LLU I can see Sky is off the list of contenders - they are in an exchange 40 miles away but i dont see any signs of them coming closer. So to return to the subject of the lack of extra capacity, there may be nore to it than just a "mean streak".

This may be a "red herring", but if there is any truth in suggestions that 20cn IP stream will be withdrawn soon, this may cause a number of ISPs to stop adding capacity until the new system is in place and bedded in.

We all suffer due to the abuse of the multinational that has a stanglehold on the UKs communications network

Just My Opinion.... YMMV

anything-but is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shorne.
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet option 3.
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well,after finally getting through to cst,been told it`s BT not SKY causing the throttling!
      Situation being that i`ve been told i am capped/throttled and sky are getting onto bt about it,got till wendsday evening to expect some sort of reply.

Been about 3 weeks not since it started for me,used to have absolutly no problems at all with my connection,one of the better isp`s i`ve been with.

On a off note,do you think i`d expect any more than i currently have looking at these stats?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4832 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 5.6 db 21.0 db

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it is 100% NOT BT, whoever told you is either misinformed/just plain lying...

and regarding the sync speed...it's spot on for attenuation...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

anything-but is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shorne.
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet option 3.
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I did mention the Bt thing while i was talking to the chap on the phone,seemed to ummm and ahhhh about it before going off on something else,have been reading all these posts with interest though

All i have to worry about now is who to jump ship to if the matter isn`t resolved!

P.s
      Thanks for the info about the sync speed bty.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: The view from another ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by warweezil View Post
      . . . . and this leads me to wonder if Sky are dragging their heels on extra capacity in anticipation of the move?
      That sounds a very likely scenario to me. And if only Sky had the sense/courtesy/balls to actually explain the reason to their customers then I'm sure those affected would appreciate it and be less (justifiably) upset.

I still don't feel though that lack of capacity completely explains the catastrophic throttling that members report as taking place at the dot of 6pm 'til midnight. That just looks like a heavy handed and unskilled use of the Advanced IPStream tools to me.

Thanks for your balanced and informative post.

Thanks

didn't think Ellacoya was owned by BT...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My understanding is Ellacoya for LLU and BT supplied Advanced IPStream Tools for Connect. Are you saying Sky run Connect traffic through their own Ellacoya/network? I didn't think that was possible.

Thanks

All I've heard is we use Ellacoya on all connections...could be wrong though, but seeing as we don't traffic shape on any LLU (at the moment - saw one guy do 80GB on Base last month!!) I would assume it's used on Connect, as there's no point having it otherwise at present...