Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 36 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; the 10-day train in would only be applicable IF they had to put a regrade through (say you'd been on ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

the 10-day train in would only be applicable IF they had to put a regrade through (say you'd been on Home/Office 250/500) as it then goes onto IPStream Max and has the bed in...

your line is slightly capped (as to why I don't know) but if the sync speed has only just increased it'll have to stay that way for up to 72hrs for the line rate to increase (should go to 2500kbps)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think there may be 2 things at work here, reduced speed caused by exchange contention and Sky's throttling policy for heavy users. Sky say their policy will only effect 2% of Connect users, but if the cut off is 1.4Gb, then it is a lot higher than that.
      I think it is a bit ridiculous to throttle someone for downloading over 1.4 Gb on one day, when they may only download another 2 or 3 Gb for the rest of the month. I think the message is clear, if you are paying full price for Connect, get out as soon as you can, Sky obviously don't want you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have not read paulo de muchi's full case, but with an attenuation of 34 dbs, he should be getting a much better connection rate, almost the full 8Mb in fact, with a download of about 7 Mb/s. Either he has a very bad line or exchanged connection, or he is simply being messed around by BT which would not surprise me.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have not read paulo de muchi's full case, but with an attenuation of 34 dbs, he should be getting a much better connection rate, almost the full 8Mb in fact, with a download of about 7 Mb/s. Either he has a very bad line or exchanged connection, or he is simply being messed around by BT which would not surprise me.
      Isitme, thanks for reply, same to IAmNotTheEnemy. I'm relatively tech-savvi (comp sci grad) and have been arguing with Sky for the last 4 weeks. My line is near perfect, no noise to speak of, tried different microfilters, test socket etc.

Its particularly odd as when I originally went live I was synching at about 5mb, low, given I can see the exchange from my house and the property is only 3 years old. I then saw my sync speed plummet down to about 1.5mb. where it stayed.

Additionally I was then throttled down to about 50kbps downstream. Classic. I do not download heavily ever, so no chance I could exceed 1.4GB a day.

Sky took a punt it was a stuck IP profile so performed a re-grade (well BT performed the re-grade) 5 day ago, so half way through a training period which hasn't seen any improvement. Very strange.

I'm now resigning myself to the fact its a capacity issue at the exchange (Fulham, London) (hence me being on Connect, there was no capacity when I ordered) and waiting patiently for the end of the re-training to get back on Sky's case.

I'll keep you updated, so long as there's nothing else I'm missing.

To summarize I have two real problems. A low sync speed thats currently unexplained given I was told at POS to expect 6.5-7mb and a significant and constant throttling.

Will keep you all updated. FYI, a quick email to Rupert Murdoch is picked up by his various assistants and responded to within 24 hours from past experience. May drop the link to this thread in an email later this week.

cheers chaps

Paul

Thanks

what's you SNR in the test socket - or are you still there?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Tis 11.6db downstream, 20db up.

When I went live originally it was around 6.9db (the default if i remember correctly?)

Cheers

Mizuri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Heres a quick question. Just wondering whether on Sky Connect do they count you upload usage aswell as your download usage in to your 40gb monthly allowance. With how pathetic Sky are with everything else it wouldnt surprise me but would nice to know if they do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mizuri View Post
      Heres a quick question. Just wondering whether on Sky Connect do they count you upload usage aswell as your download usage in to your 40gb monthly allowance. With how pathetic Sky are with everything else it wouldnt surprise me but would nice to know if they do.
      Yup, pretty sure its just throughput on the line, either up or down. Though I may be corrected...

Cheers

Thanks

yes it is combined up and down...

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think there may be 2 things at work here, reduced speed caused by exchange contention and Sky's throttling policy for heavy users.
      I think it is only one thing at work here, throttling by Sky/Bt. I was with NewNet up until joining Sky Connect two months ago, I was with them for over 2 years and never, ever had a slowdown of any sort and going through the same exchange. There was no sign of exchange contention during those two+ years.

On the day I migrated to Connect the slowdown was obvious after 5-6pm each evening.

Can this be explained?