Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 33 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by steve16751 Brian69 Smithy99 No disrespect but it is easy just to walk away and I don`t think ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Brian69 Smithy99
      No disrespect but it is easy just to walk away and I don`t think you both understand that it is easy to talk about it. But when it is happening to you it is different. We Know it is going to be resolved. We also know that Sky is not the only ISP that it is happening to so reveal the extent of the problem we will try to assist Sky to help them solve what ever is happening
      What is going to be resolved? Sky could have done this at a stroke of a pen, it is not a fault it is due to Sky not wanting to pay for more capacity. Until they do then nothing will change, in fact the chances are that as the cram more people onto the network it will get worse.

You seem to think this is happening "to" Sky, it's not, Sky are causing it to happen, they need more capacity as do many ISP's, did you not read my post above which showed Zen's pricing for a similar product? Zen are more realistic with the costs to keep capacity levels where needed.

If you are not happy with the Connect product, the only option at the moment is to leave, but you must leave for a company that are realistic and Zen are one of the few out there.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

To be honest Sky won't fix it, if they keep on shoving more and more people onto connect, then it's great they are getting customer numbers up and if there is a mass leaving, that's fine as pressure on bandwidth is lessened and they can cram even more new customers on it.

From a business point of view it's a win-win situation for Sky.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

bobforthejob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It's not a case of connect customers have to face high latency/low bandwidth because it's a cheap package and buying more would up the price. It's nothing more than a flat out lie by sky.

Limit of their contract is 40 gig/month. Therefore, by their own admission in their own contract, every connect customer is allowed a limit of 40 gig/month, no matter when they decide to use the product they've bought.

There's no ifs or buts in that; it's stated in no uncertain terms in the contract you sign. If they want to fart about with packet/traffic shaping or whatever they're doing, which is destroying bandwidth and latency then the contract should be changed. "Up to 8 m/bits. 40gig/month" is what they say, yet it isnt what they sell.

For a service to be degraded to such an extent making a connect customer unable to use what they've bought has got to be against some kind of trading standard. Im seriously thinking about filing complaints about them before i leave them.

Thanks

This has long been argued about all ISP's.

You could quite easily hit the 40Gb cap on connect in a month as you could set all your downloads to be done outside peak hours.

The Sky FUP will allow them to reduce speeds during peak hours it's in the T&C's, even Zen (one of the better ISP's for capacity) have a note that speeds may be reduced to 2Mb during their peak hours.

It;s certainly not a flat out lie, you signed the T&C's and all ISP' will have something similar.

That doesn't mean I like it of course but I do understand that they want to at least come out even and not make a loss on this product.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It;s certainly not a flat out lie, you signed the T&C's and all ISP' will have something similar.
      It is a long time since I signed up with Sky, but I am fairly sure that somewhere there is a box you tick which says 'I have read and agree to the T & Cs'. Unfortunately many just tick the box without bothering to read them, then complain when some condition is applied which they disagree with.
      Connect is a dismal service, I would never accept it as a permanent solution. BT have a drive on now to steal Sky customers, £4.99 a month for 3 months then £9.99 for the rest of the minimum period + free Home Hub with Option 1. It is a good deal for anyone who wants out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

bobforthejob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have no problem with lowering of bandwidth during peak since i know it's going to happen, say from my normal 2.5 mbits to say 0.5 mbits, which is alot but i would accept it. But it isnt the case. My down speed from 4 - midnight is under 20 kbits, and if it manages to stay there for a duration of say 10 mb im lucky. It generally starts at like 4 goes up to 20 then gradually lowers to about 10. The old dial up 56k was faster.

There's also the problem with the huge packet loss. It makes straming a video impossible. Watching a live sports match impossible. Playing games impossible. Listening to music impossible. Im unable to use the service i pay for.

ToC/FAQ/general info from sky says nothing about potential loss of 10%+ of packets during peak time, all it says it bandwidth maybe lowered due to number of people using it to accomodate the load.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      BT have a drive on now to steal Sky customers, £4.99 a month for 3 months then £9.99 for the rest of the minimum period + free Home Hub with Option 1. It is a good deal for anyone who wants out.
      Interesting. That's a shade under £105/year so provided you were no less than 6 months into your £17 Connect contract you could pay off the remainder, then migrate and end up paying no more in total than if you stayed.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just seen the following O2 announcement posted on the official O2 forum:

"Over the past few weeks you may have experienced slow speeds due to congestion in a few areas on the network and we are sorry about this. We are constantly improving and upgrading our network to deal with changes in the way that people are using the network for example downloading movies and gaming.

We are re-routing and balancing as much traffic as we can and we hope this will avoid any further issues whilst the bandwidth upgrade takes place within 6-10 weeks.

Upgrades have already taken place in:

Bristol and Southampton

The following areas will be upgraded in 6-8 weeks:

Brighton, Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Warrington, South Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Preston.

These upgrades won’t interrupt your service"

See. That's how it's done Sky

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have decided to bite the bullet (financially) and ask for my MAC code and rid myself of an absolutely disgraceful after 5pm service from Sky Connect.

This is going to cost me dearly but it will give me internet freedom (and peace of mind) from a very brief and extremely disappointing relationship with Sky Connect.

Awaiting the text message containing my MAC code.

Thanks

May I ask where you are going too?