Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 32 of 189 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; >>>>>The problem with the connect type of package from Sky and any other ISP is that the capacity has a ...

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

>>>>>The problem with the connect type of package from Sky and any other ISP is that the capacity has a specific cost, this is determined by BT wholesale.

It is hard to keep everyone happy during the main peak times and make a profit, many ISP's Sky included have tried to lure in the customers with low pricing, this pricing is actually too low to keep the product running without the peak problems or without making a loss.

One of the ISP's who do the best in terms of capacity is Zen, they have a realistic pricing structure for this rebadged BT product so when capacity is needed they have the increased turnover to buy it and still maintain their profits.

To compare a similar package to the Sky Connect @ 17.00pm, Zen will charge 34.25 per month so you can see that if this is considered a realistic price Sky are only going to have half the capacity as their charge is about half as much.

I know this is a little basic figure wise and I cannot be bothered getting all the new central prices etc but as I say Zen have it about right to keep everyone happy.

In a nutshell, for Sky to run the Connect package with no real capacity limits you will be looking at them increasing the price to the same levels as Zen, they are clearly not going to do this as for many 1000's of customers don't perceive a problem and for everyone that leaves more will take their place.

Bottom line is that if you have no LLU at your exchange and Sky Connect is not working for you it's time to jump. Remember though, any other ISP's that are not in or around the Zen pricing structure can only do it in one way, by limiting capacity like Sky so don't go from the frying pan into the fire!!!

Just to add, Zen do offer lower priced packaged but they have a lower download limit, this may suit other people who don't actually download that much but want to game etc.<<<<<

You have summed it up absolutely spot on. This is what we are up against. If I was not locked in for another 10 months I would be off.

2. Advertisement
      bedrock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDTTCHF
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      There is no real problem, other than Sky will not purchase more capacity from BT, instead they want to expand the number of customers who are on their net, increase the number of exchanges which have LLU capacity, and fully unbundled services. The bottom line is if you do not like Connect then look elsewhere, for a simillar product at a siminlar price.
      Mine first please

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Well as for being locked in, you are entitled to you MAC code even if you are in contract, get it.

My argument would be that the service provided does not meet the expected and promised level.

You may have to do a bit of work in terms of laying the groundwork with speedtests etc and putting it all in writing but I would imagine that you will eventually get out of it.

Start with the complaints number, i've seen it posted here somewhere and then follow it up wioth a recorded delivery letter.

Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Essentials
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
      Mine first please
      Yep they're welcome to do mine too, i'll even help them install it myself if they want to save a few pennies.

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Wowsa, this thread really has descended into chaos since I last posted, lets play nice children.

Anywhoo, thought I'd provide a little update. So after shouting at various people at CST (only kidding, nicely nicely is the way you should always deal with people who you need to keep sweet), they found it was likely the training period I had was unsuccessful and I was stuck on 3mb, daft as my line can support 6mb. So BT have re-profiled my line and I'm due to go through the training process again, currently synching at 1.6mb. Great. Told this will creep up over the next few days, fingers crossed.

So to the throttling issue, Sky refuse to comment on it basically. They accept I dont even come near breaking my FUP, but its all down to capacity and they claim my speeds after 6pm are something I need to deal with, part of the process with Connect.

So with this in mind, I'll sit it out for the 10 days, see how things go and report back. However if its still poop, its ta ta Sky and I'll look elsewhere, so I bid you adieu, best of luck with sorting your respective throttled lines, sure it'll sort itself one day and remember its only load of wires and stuff.

Toodles

Paul

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

SHARKEM
      SKY is a Company build by people The company cannot get it but people can that is the problem. We are humorous and funny we all take a joke as you can see
      [B]wow . no sense of humour in here
      sky is a huge company ... not a person.
      still. i apologise to those offended.[/B
      ]
      The only one who you affended was yourself. so keep

Thanks

paulo de muchi
      Hi you are right smile on the phone but do not except dates from stranger they might be to pretty

Thanks

Brian69 Smithy99
      No disrespect but it is easy just to walk away and I don`t think you both understand that it is easy to talk about it. But when it is happening to you it is different. We Know it is going to be resolved. We also know that Sky is not the only ISP that it is happening to so reveal the extent of the problem we will try to assist Sky to help them solve what ever is happening

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Steve, if I didn't get it free I'd leave...it's not gonna be fixed for ages so it's probably easier to leave...

sorry...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      We also know that Sky is not the only ISP that it is happening to so reveal the extent of the problem we will try to assist Sky to help them solve what ever is happening
      In what respect do you mean assist sky ?