Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 189 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; * Broadband package: Sky Max * Normal Speed: 2mb * Current throttled speed: 440kb/s - upload is still 400kb/s though ...

GTR Racer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

* Broadband package: Sky Max
      * Normal Speed: 2mb
      * Current throttled speed: 440kb/s - upload is still 400kb/s though :S
      * Average usage per day: A lot, (Sim Racer)
      * What does this throttling affect? Everything, downloads, browsing, gaming.

Been doing it for the past 5 days now. Becoming a real pain as our racing team has sponsors to satisfy, and when i cant race, it means that our sponsors aren't very happy.

And this is not just happening after 5pm. Its like it all day.

Edit:

Also like to point out im getting regular cut outs, every hour so. The internet just like cut's out for a minute :s. Is really frustrating.
      Last edited by GTR Racer; 08-01-09 at 09:50 PM.

2. Advertisement
      paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi All,

After getting Sky to pick up the tab for my BT line install (124.99 ) and haggling Connect down to 10 despite no signs of any capacity coming spare on my exchange for foreseeable future, it seems they have definitely had the last laugh. Despite BT Wholesale estimating my line could support 6.5mbps, current stats are below....

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: Downstream connection speed alleges 3.9mb, but 5 days into service never had more than 2mb on a speedtest
      * Current throttled speed: 1.7mb
      * Average usage per day: Varies, some day no more than light browsing, some days 1gb movie
      * What does this throttling affect? Pages seem to take an age and then suddenly appear, torrents slow, general irritation.

Gotta say, really disappointed with Sky, if I had the option and there was capacity at my exchange I'd be out of this joint.

Cheers all, great site, keep it up.

Paulo

impreza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: in the big building
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

* Broadband package: Sky connect
      * Normal Speed: 6/7mb
      * Current throttled speed: 990kb/s - upload is 280kb/s
      * Average usage per day: medium
      * What does this throttling affect?: Everything, downloads, browsing, gaming.

been like this for a good few days now, not good

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GTR Racer View Post
      * Broadband package: Sky Max
      * Normal Speed: 2mb
      * Current throttled speed: 440kb/s - upload is still 400kb/s though :S
      * Average usage per day: A lot, (Sim Racer)
      * What does this throttling affect? Everything, downloads, browsing, gaming.

If you are on Max, it has to be something else. There is no throttling on Max.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulo de muchi View Post
      * Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: Downstream connection speed alleges 3.9mb, but 5 days into service never had more than 2mb on a speedtest
      * Current throttled speed: 1.7mb
      * Average usage per day: Varies, some day no more than light browsing, some days 1gb movie
      * What does this throttling affect? Pages seem to take an age and then suddenly appear, torrents slow, general irritation.
      In all fairness, if you have been connected less than 10 days on Connect, you should expect loads of differing conditions / speeds.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

TheSedated is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01989
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband package: Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: 7mb (what you would normally expect)
      Current throttled speed: 882Kbps
      Average usage per day: Alot
      What does this throttling affect? Browsing / Torrents / and VOIP

I siged up with Sky in June and requested Sky Broadband Max, I was told that it was unavailable in my area and that it should be available by September, Yeah Sure.. Just like their useless customer support, if the can't get that right, then they will take seven years to upgrade all the exchanges to LLU, my only hope is if they buy Tiscali then I will possibly get Broadband Max and Tiscali has LLU service.
      If I have to pay 17 because Sky Cannot get services available and I am paying more than Broadband Mid and Max Customers like all the other Broadband Connect Customers, we should not be throttled between 5pm and 12pm
      Sky need to start providing a service rather than a shambles..!
      I am not home during the day because I work like most people, and then have to use the internet when I get home, and I cannot even Skype without getting a Jumpy Connection... It's like third world country connections, and I should know my family live in South Africa and their fastest connection speed is 384.. I am lucky to get slightly quicker than that with Sky during the evenings!

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Thanks

Hi TheSedated
      But are you paying 17 or 5 because if you are at the present paying 5 that mean sky will be in your exchange sooner rather than later It is the 17 will take a bit longer

Thanks

UPdate

Had a long 1hr 30 min last night with sky who said they could not do anything I thanked the young man and said ok but who can he said no one I said I want to speak to this no one if he is the only one to help received Telephone call today from sky (called away will update as you see
      I think the thing we forget is they are trying to do a job and not an easy one the tier levels
      are trying to give as much information as they can. The bt up pricing and sky and other ISP`s have to cover
      all their connect customer at all the bt exchanges and if bt can be bothered to assist its a bonus if not it is a bonus to bt (well thats what bt thinks ) except a lot of servers have had enough of bt`s tactics When you hear some one changing ISP`s you never hear anyone
      going back to bt .Anyway as I said update I am getting my speeds back to normal it has taken a long time but I have never given up alway`s gone forword to the extent of being told
      I have had too many tickets and no one can help (at the moment my router speed
      DSL Downstream is 4224kbps Up448kbpswhich is great but I still have to wait till Saturday
      which is 72hrs. Do not ever give up there is always some one who can help do
      not take no for an answer because thats not an answer thats an objection. (always remember to smile at the phone when talking to anyone you need help from

Update again Saturday

fugly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hereford
      Broadband ISP: BT Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I would be very surprised if they stop throttling you Steve I was told many times over the last 3 months by Sky CS that they would sort it, which they did once for one night and then it was throttled again, then they started to say I used a lot of bandwidth(not true) and said that BT must be throttling me with RAMBo.
      The last few phone calls were the same I was told that there was nothing I could do, I was going to be throttled and that was it.

Never have Sky admitted to me that they are throttling me they just say it is BT, which destroys my trust in Sky.

I do hope it gets sorted for you though would be nice to see Sky turn things around for all the guys on connect.

Thanks

fugly
      Hi have just ran bt speed tester
      DSL down 4224K up 448k
      I.P. Profile for line through test 3500k
      I.P. Profile Actual Throughput 3263k

Awaiting telephone call Saturday morning.
      The thing is not to give up and as I said they are all under pressure and they are trying to sort out all problems and they can only go so far before it has to be passed on to the next tier. I think you will find that tier 1 is being enabled to run more tests before giving out tickets to move on to CST. The same with CST they
      can only do so much and if they cannot solve the problem they say cannot do
      anything more. So now its your time to say OK can put me through to some who can and thank him for all his help and you understand that he has done all he can but there has to be someone. you will not be able to talk to that person as he is more than likely looking at another customers case but he will ring
      after he has read your files. That is what happened to me.

Page 3 of 189 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast