Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 25 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Saturday She's misinformed or misleading you. BT provide dedicated tools to ISPs to manage bandwidth to the ...

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      She's misinformed or misleading you. BT provide dedicated tools to ISPs to manage bandwidth to the end user. Details here if you're interested.
      Cheers for the link Saturday, had a quick read and sure enough....

'Speed changes may be used to throttle the End Users service to allow service differentiation and management of network resource, or to temporarily boost a line to encourage End Users to move to higher speed IPstream Service Provider products.'

Classic. So I gave this allegedly knowledgeable Sky rep more than 3 chances to come clean and she flatly refused to acknowledge that any kind of shaping is done to Connect customers. Come on Sky, lets play nice. I've gone from previously having recommended Sky TV, BB etc to friends colleagues, and I now do nothing but bad-mouth them. Apparently studies show if you're happy with a service you tell 3 people, if you're unhappy you tell 13..., I'm on about 30.

cheers

2. Advertisement
      Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

could just be the tier you were talking to, iv a varied response from the guys at sky where 1 will point blank deny, 1 is an idiot and 1 is helpful and tells me anything he knows.. Come On Sky Give Us Info.. (dont make swear on a public thread)

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulo de muchi View Post
      hello chaps,
      quick update. I had a missed call from Sky when I got home from work, they'd progressed my complaint (3mb sync, and no more than 300kpbs downloads after 6pm, all of this after being told my line was capable of holding 6mb) to CST.

Called them back and spoke to a perfectly nice lady who ran some checks and finally admitted that it was a problem at the exchange and she was contacting BT to re-profile line/run some checks whatever the frick they do.

She accepted I should be able to receive 6mb no problem, I'm literally 700 yards from exchange. However, and this is where it gets confusing, she claims Sky do NOT throttle users, you're completely at the mercy of BT, and they have nothing to do with it. She was arguing her case by reiterating they have to get BT to run any changes on connect lines at all.

Is all the venom flying around this thread, most definitely myself included, misdirected and is it BT taking the ****?

Will update when BT re-profile my line and try and return it to a state of normalcy, Sky say 24-48 hours.

ta chaps

paul
      Thanks for the update and your efforts.

Let's face it, we can't all have exchange problems, and besides, it is funny that it all 'happens' around the same time every night.

Also, it is Sky we are paying our money to for a broadband service so therefore it should be them that gets it sorted for the customer. Whether it be BT or Sky's fault ultimately it is Sky's problem to rectify.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

url=http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk][/URL]

OK the speed test above may be a bit OTT but I am getting close to 7mb speed for most of the day on Connect. This would prove that there is nothing wrong with connection or home set up.

Unbelievable that this reading will turn into dial up speeds (using same speed tester) after the bewitching hour 6pm!
      Last edited by yunorisson; 27-01-09 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

same with mine atm my line is sitting at 5.5 of a possible 6000k, which isnt bad considering your line usually sits 1 mb either side of the set threshold, but like you says ill be lucky to get 1/10th the speed later

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz380 View Post
      same with mine atm my line is sitting at 5.5 of a possible 6000k, which isnt bad considering your line usually sits 1 mb either side of the set threshold, but like you says ill be lucky to get 1/10th the speed later
      Gazz380

Yes, me thinks that there is a lot of tosh being given out by these so called 'experts' blaming our PC's, our wiring, Christmas lights, fridges going on and off, street lights coming on and going off, exchange contention, in fact anything bar themselves.

Whenever you call CS re throttling you begin the ISP Hokey Cokey, you put this wire in, you pull this wire out, you shake it all about, knowing full well that your particular system is working fine. Madness! We are being conned.

Thanks

my favourite one is the

"Which way is the router connected to your PC connection.. is it wireless or the 'Yellow' cable?"

What the hell difference does colour make to my connection being complete tosh? and for any member of sky my cable is actually blue!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz380 View Post
      "Which way is the router connected to your PC connection.. is it wireless or the 'Yellow' cable?"
      That seems a perfectly reasonable and intelligent question to me.

Sky must have tens of thousands of customers who have absolutely no understanding of technology. Ask "is your router connected by cable" and I suspect a lot would say yes, meaning the router cable. As far as I'm aware, every ethernet cable sent out by Sky is yellow, presumably to avoid that confusion.

I don't see why you feel the need to criticise them just because you happen to know the difference between an ethernet cable and an RJ11 cable and presumably happen to have used your own ethernet cable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      That seems a perfectly reasonable and intelligent question to me.
      How? If you tell sky your online and youve done reems and reems of speedtests why does it matter how its connected to your pc? your still online, they dont actually listen to what your telling them, its just a sheet of paper in front of them which they read. Sky teir ones only use is to serve and answer stupid questions..

my cable was origanally blue, i only have 3 colours in my house, Dark blue, blue and black

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

there were some blue ones i think...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket