Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 24 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; shiningstar Hi I would check your exchange to see if Sky has LLU installed if so yes. shiningstar Im with ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

shiningstar
      Hi I would check your exchange to see if Sky has LLU installed if so yes.

shiningstar Im with virgin and thinking of getting sky as well as the broadband,i have never has a problem with virgin so im a little sceptic and advice???????
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      ningall is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Corsham
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Still no news?

I purposly do not download during the peak our times and looking at the stats per hour for WoW it works out about 40mb an hour plus a mid quality ventrilo server which is not too much to ask for a modern broadband connection

I am glad that i don't play competitive css anymore as the 120 ping and packet loss would stop me playing in any teams full stop

I understand the need for line management to make sure people have service but at the moment i am not getting the connection to allow me to do the things that i want

TalkTalk have LLU at my exchange so i would like to know why sky have not done theirs yet

Obviously there is an issue with the number of sky TV users who would be eligble for Sky talk and sky broadband but there are a lot of satelite dishes where i live

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Still no news?
      Nope. I was hoping for some today. If our contact don't ring me by dinner time tomorrow I will chase up for you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Dial up speeds this evening (6.25pm) seems to be getting worse instead of better. A total disgrace. Great during the day though.
      Last edited by yunorisson; 26-01-09 at 08:19 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I'm currently downloading at 300KB/sec on FTP...not too bad but slower than then 550KB/sec I usually get...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

bedrock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SDTTCHF
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 4500kbps-ish
      * Current throttled speed: 900kbps-ish
      * Average usage per day: A little
      * What does this throttling affect? Downloading files / General Browsing / BT

Posted these comment in another thread (which i found from googling the problem!)

But they seem more applicable here:

Having been a Max customer for several years, but recently (due to house move) am now stuck with Connect, all I can say is this traffic shaping really sucks.

I'm no big downloader, but only getting 4-5kB/s is rediculous when you have an (upto) 8meg connection, my torrents used to go faster when i was only a 512k adsl line....

I wish I could have my Max back, please Sky more LLU exchanges

jimbell1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I would really like to know how they decide who gets thottled and who doesnt becuase i hardly used my connection last night, and now my speed is sitting at 345kbps, i usually get 5 meg!!
      Im seriously thinking about getting rid of sky and going with somebody else becuase this is just stupid, i understand some traffic shaping has to take place but this is just taking it way way too far.
      I pay for a broadband service im simply not getting, but i would get it on another ISP....im sorry but its just comman sense, you'd be pretty angry if you paid for a gallon of petrol and your car would only use less than a quarter!!
      The same rule should apply to broadband, but instead we're fobbed off by sky and basicly told to deal with it.
      Sky, this is unacceptable.
      Sorry for the rant, but i think im bang on the money with this!!
      Jimbo

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbell1983 View Post
      I would really like to know how they decide who gets thottled and who doesnt becuase i hardly used my connection last night, and now my speed is sitting at 345kbps, i usually get 5 meg!!
      Im seriously thinking about getting rid of sky and going with somebody else becuase this is just stupid, i understand some traffic shaping has to take place but this is just taking it way way too far.
      I pay for a broadband service im simply not getting, but i would get it on another ISP....im sorry but its just comman sense, you'd be pretty angry if you paid for a gallon of petrol and your car would only use less than a quarter!!
      The same rule should apply to broadband, but instead we're fobbed off by sky and basicly told to deal with it.
      Sky, this is unacceptable.
      Sorry for the rant, but i think im bang on the money with this!!
      Jimbo
      Here! Here! Well said!

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

hello chaps,
      quick update. I had a missed call from Sky when I got home from work, they'd progressed my complaint (3mb sync, and no more than 300kpbs downloads after 6pm, all of this after being told my line was capable of holding 6mb) to CST.

Called them back and spoke to a perfectly nice lady who ran some checks and finally admitted that it was a problem at the exchange and she was contacting BT to re-profile line/run some checks whatever the frick they do.

She accepted I should be able to receive 6mb no problem, I'm literally 700 yards from exchange. However, and this is where it gets confusing, she claims Sky do NOT throttle users, you're completely at the mercy of BT, and they have nothing to do with it. She was arguing her case by reiterating they have to get BT to run any changes on connect lines at all.

Is all the venom flying around this thread, most definitely myself included, misdirected and is it BT taking the ****?

Will update when BT re-profile my line and try and return it to a state of normalcy, Sky say 24-48 hours.

ta chaps

paul

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulo de muchi View Post
      she claims Sky do NOT throttle users, you're completely at the mercy of BT, and they have nothing to do with it.
      She's misinformed or misleading you. BT provide dedicated tools to ISPs to manage bandwidth to the end user. Details here if you're interested.