Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 21 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Adrian This is second day ran test Bt speed tester 1830 and skyuser speedtest at 1955 and its still ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Hi Adrian
      This is second day ran test Bt speed tester 1830 and skyuser speedtest at 1955 and its still holding. They must be addressing the issue because there are Sky users saying their speeds are improving I know it is not going to happen over night. I know we all wish it would,
      But if it is improving at least we know its going the right way. When was the last time you rang Sky. Paulo said he is awaiting for a ring back maybe today (look at Paulo`s post)

FYI, Sky said I should be receiving 6meg easy, line syncs no higher than 3008kbps so they've accepted something is massively wrong. Current speedtest is 400kbps. ridiculous.
      See what they say to Paulo he might have some more information

Steve
      Last edited by steve16751; 25-01-09 at 12:09 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk Essentials
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Hi Adrian
      This is second day ran test Bt speed tester 1830 and skyuser speedtest at 1955 and its still holding. They must be addressing the issue because there are Sky users saying their speeds are improving I know it is not going to happen over night. I know we all wish it would,
      But if it is improving at least we know its going the right way. When was the last time you rang Sky. Paul said he is awaiting for a ring back maybe today (look at Pauls post)
      Hmm, I disagree that things are getting better...I mean, the stats speak for themselves. IP profile 7150kbps, actual throughput just under 600kbps.

I also disagree that it can't be fixed overnight...earlier this month somebody at Sky made the conscience decision to start throttling all customers after 5pm. It's obviously not a capacity issue, as before this I was always getting around 5/6mbps 24/7...if it was a capacity issue, things would have gotten gradually worse over time.

I think Sky have got plenty of capacity, they just want to cut costs. So they could fix this easily by reversing whatever they did to cause the situation...only they wont.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it is a capacity issue, which is why the decision was made to START traffic shaping/throttling to make sure capacity isn't hit...

it's a pre-emptive course of action...

end of the day, it's not an overnight fix...Sky has to weigh up whether buying more capacity is going to worth while - especially in these tight times...

having said that, my speed has doubled during peak times now to about 3Mbps from 1.5Mbps...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      it is a capacity issue, which is why the decision was made to START traffic shaping/throttling to make sure capacity isn't hit...

it's a pre-emptive course of action...

end of the day, it's not an overnight fix...Sky has to weight up whether buying more capacity is going to worth while - especially in these tight times...
      It's a cost cutting issue.

To ensure you don't hit capacity you don't shave off more than 90% of a users normal speed when they were all fine at 100%...imagine how much capacity 10% shaved off each users speed would save.

Now imagine how much money shaving off 90% saves with the cost per gb charges BT currently has in place for ISPs. Makes sense (for sky), no? Especially, as you say, in these tight times...

having said that, my speed has doubled during peak times now to about 3Mbps from 1.5Mbps...
      Tis alright for some.
      Last edited by Adrian; 24-01-09 at 10:17 PM.

ralpal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Angry Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Hi guys,

I'm a little late to the party but here goes

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 8mb (I can see the exchange from my house)
      * Current throttled speed: 0.5mb
      * Average usage per day: normal
      * What does this throttling affect? Browsing / Gaming / Torrents / downloads

Extremely annoyed.
      The sales rep who sho sold me the package assured me that because I fell outside of the activated areas for the free broadband and therefore had to take Sky Connect, that there would be no download restrictions or throttling.

Thanks

Adrian
      What I am saying across the whole connect service where every connect customer was being throttled to some extent it is improving Also there is a lot more Customers joining Sky on Connect the band width is not get bigger it gets smaller that is slowing down the speed decreasing band width.

Bt CHARGES have now gone through the roof to cover what they call their Technology

Adrian Now imagine how much money shaving off 90% saves with the cost per gb charges BT currently has in place for ISPs.
      :

thats the second time you have said that

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Adrian
      What I am saying across the whole connect service where every connect customer was being throttled to some extent it is improving Also there is a lot more Customers joining Sky on Connect the band width is not get bigger it gets smaller that is slowing down the speed decreasing band width.

Bt CHARGES have now gone through the roof to cover what they call their Technology
      Indeed...though I would still disagree that it's improving, from my experience. I'm not saying that what you're saying is wrong, it's just that I've not seen it...so it's not improved for me, at all.

No it isn't.

Thanks

Adrian you are right you did not by the time I saw it with using 2nd tab I was mistaken

I see at the present moment for you it is not improving and believe me I know What low is
      my actual throughput at one stage was 135k and if you think I would be lucky to use 3.5gb
      a month. When was the last time you called Sky. Anyway as I said it is improving through
      out Sky connect and I hope you start to see the improvements soon

Steve

jimbell1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Alright guys, just thought i'd post an update on my line
      Went away for a week and left the router switched off, flat mate doesnt have a PC and i took mine with me so i know nobody used the internet.
      Even after a week of no use, i got home switched the router on only to be greeted with 240kbps speed.
      This reminds me of when i was on BT and they'd cap you if you downloaded more than your monthly quota!!

Weirdly though, last night (1am - 9.00am) i downloaded 4.8 gigs worth, then in the evening the speed stayed at 5meg all night.
      I think the people who manage sky broadband are all on crack, its the only logical explanation i can come up with!

Thanks

Hi Jim
      Connect is improving it is just going to take time. So its cold Turkey for them
      are pleased you got some more speed.

jimbell 1983 I think the people who manage sky broadband are all on crack,
      Steve