Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 187 of 189 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189 LastLast
    Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Its a bit like someone(Sky) going into a pub and saying, give me 6 pints and putting down the money ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Its a bit like someone(Sky) going into a pub and saying, give me 6 pints and putting down the money for 4. The barman(BT) is only going to serve up 4.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      denz279 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
      Broadband package: Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: 8MB (advertised), 5mb-6mb (between the hours of 3am-4pm)
      Current throttled speed: 64kbps (so far thats at best!!)
      Average usage per day: A lot
      What does this throttling affect? Gaming (xbox), Browsing (interneopt on my laptop and the mrs lapt), Streaming (youtube) etc

This has become the norm, from 4pm in the afternoon until 3am in the morning, my connection gets throttled (I have deliberately stayed awake to try to determine when the connection gets back to normal and on average over a week it is roughly 3am).

I shall be writing to OFCOM as this is a serious breach of the terms and conditions (at most the terms and conditions state that a 10-30% drop is expected, not a 95% drop on a regular and consistent basis).

When phoning sky I was essentially told to put up with it and leave at the end of my contract (I am 3 months in so this has royally annoyed me), no chance of an engineer visit, no chance of speed de-throttling.

Sky Unlimited was available in my area but now I want to upgrade to it, it is miraculously not available any more! I am starting to get frustrated and wonder why I moved to sky!

This has fully described my situation. Up to 2 weeks ago all was fine. Now 7mb in the day as soon as 4pm comes round its 300kpbs max. Less than 5% of what was advertised. Sky played the same 'you're in a contract' rubbish to which I replied yes and you're not living up to your end of it.

The supervisor i spoke to when questioned told me all that was in his authority was to remind me of the contract. I have formally complained and copied in the ombudsman services: communications.

All the investigating I'm doing now (which takes me 20 times longer due to broadband speed) tells me one thing. That complaining is hopeless. What an effin scam. Quite simple to me, if you cant live up to your end of the contract, cancel it and let me go somewhere else. I've noted my speeds over the last week and told Sky I'm stopping the direct debit when they of course reminded me that I'm still liable for. I would like to see them come for me in court particularly when I present evidence of the 5% speeds.

This country is stone age when it comes to broadband speeds.

Any advice on dealing with Sky would be most appreciated.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The advice is littered throughout this thread and another (linked below). essentially you are exceeding the daily limit and you need to show that your speeds are being unreasonably capped.

Once you have done this, ask for your MAC code and move to another ISP as Sky employees know how bad Connect is and their hands are tied.

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

BT Speed Tester: Test Result

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The problem is that on some exchanges you do not need to exceed the limit, daily or otherwise, you are throttled anyway. Call Sky and ask for your MAC, don't say you want to cancel but if the Sky employee asks what is wrong, offer to send them the Speedtests which prove the product is not fit for propose. These must be official BT speed tests as noted elsewhere in these threads. When you are fixed up with a new ISP, call Sky and give your notice.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fumingcustomer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01269
      Thanks

Broadband package: Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: 7mb (what you would normally expect)
      Current throttled speed:27kb
      Average usage per day: average i suppose..not loads tho
      What does this throttling affect? Browsing / Gaming

no way have i exceeded my 40gig a month limit ...whats more its been thottled for 3months now!

Thanks

There is a tool available on the Sky website. If you log in and navigate to the 'My Sky' section, you should be able to find it.

This will certainly help.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mindi37 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01592
      Thanks

hi was with bt and got 5 meg no problem
      went with sky connect as already have tv and phone so the package was cheaper than bts
      now with sky connect i get no more than 1.5 meg and at night i get around 500kbps
      they have said i am inside their limit
      i have complained umpteen times all to no avail
      if this is not fixed soon contract or no contract sky can shove their connect as it is terrible
      they tell you anything and they never follow up on anything they are totally useless
      plus if they charge me for leaving they can take it to court and i will go and tell the judge that they are rotten and liars to boot
      STAY WAY FROM SKY CONNECT

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Might be worth posting your stats here. Maybe there's an issue that can be addressed.

lolaciri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

sky broadband connect is rubbish, from 5pm - 12 my connection speed was 0.14 MBPS, yes you read that right 0.14 download speed.
      i called customer service and the chap said, if you times that speed test by 8, that is the real speed you are getting, so i said why does the speed test page take 7 min to load.
      i got so fed up calling sky about this problem i switched isp and i am now getting over 10MBPS.
      Sky connect sucks and i would recommend anyone on sky connect to cancel your contract and get a new isp, sky customer service will never sort your problem out.
      when i was on 56k dial up service in the early 90s, my connection speed was 4 times faster than sky connect.

Thanks

From reading all the reports on this forum, I would entirely agree with your statement lolaciri.

It is perhaps worth pointing out now that Sky are in the process of installing their equipment in more and more telephone exchanges across the country too. Unfortunately no one will make their plans public, so I can advise you on a source to see if your exchange is being upgraded soon, it at all.