Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 185 of 189 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 ... LastLast
    Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Technically it is, BT put the throttle on the line, Sky can't do this as they have no technical control ...

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Technically it is, BT put the throttle on the line, Sky can't do this as they have no technical control over the BT network
      No it isn't. Your connection is handled by Sky and goes through them, this is how they have the ability to throttle you. BT couldn't give a fig if Sky go over their allocation of bandwidth as all that happens then is Sky's bill increases.

I've had all of this explained to me in great detail by the Openreach guys. Don't ask me to relate it back to you as my eyes quickly glazed over but in essence once Sky rent the lines the connections are then routed via Sky.

2. Advertisement
      Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Again, this part of the network is not where my expertise lies, so excuse any small inaccuracies, but...

Yes, of course you pass through the Sky network at -some- point, and that gives them the -ability- to manage your speed, but that doesn't mean you're not passing through a myriad of BT equipment first which also gives them that ability. My original post (which perhaps should have been worded better) concerns the way in which BT throttles you on their network, which AFAIK often results in them cutting you right down to an unusable level across the board. Sky, on the other hand, tends to target certain things when they limit, like torrent traffic or whatever else they deem to be problematic.

As for the question of whether BT have any interest in throttling you, of course they do, they need to manage congestion on their exchanges and their equipment... and my understanding is that the particular exchanges that we're talking about are exactly the exchanges where they'd be having that problem, and that's definitely something that switching ISP would not help you with.

Also, I don't really feel any great tie or loyalty to Sky as a company; I was merely trying to share some (hopefully helpful) info after coming across this thread.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

The only throttling BT apply is if Sky are running over their purchased capacity (centrals) on the BT network - Sky are the ISP so Sky shape their customer's traffic, not BT

BT throttle Sky as a company
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Sky shape traffic but I believe they target specific protocols so that you can generally still browse and use other basic utilities like email.

BT will also manage traffic on their equipment to manage exchange congestion and other problems like that on their own network, do you disagree that this is something they do?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Isn't it amusing, watching these discussions over which company throttles who?

Ultimately we mere mortals will never know that full details as each company will be tied into a business contract.

What we do know is the following:

1. Sky have to rent bandwidth from BT Wholesale in order for it to be able to offer a BB product in areas where it does not have it's own LLU. We know this product as Sky Connect
      2. BT and Sky are there to make money
      3. In order for Sky to get more bandwidth for their BB customers on connect, they will need to pay BT Wholesale more money

Anything else is down to the internal politics of each company and any terms and conditions of the contract between each company.

Just because another ISP may have one way to handle customers who go over their monthly limit, it does not mean that Sky has to follow. The BT Openreach guys will know as much about the technical details of any contract as we do (i.e. nothing).

Someone is responsible for the severally slow speeds on Sky Connect. The people who hold the key to fixing this work in the board rooms of Sky & BT. It will be those who are in the Sky board room who need to make the first move.

I would surmise therefore that pressure needs to be placed on Sky to resolve this issue. Just how people do this is their choice. You can do any of the following:

a. Nothing
      b. Write to various people within the BSkyB company
      c. Leave

Now if (b) were to be the most popular choice, then it would be a good idea for someone to organise a campaign. This way the right people could be targeted and a resolution could be made sooner.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

As for the question of whether BT have any interest in throttling you, of course they do, they need to manage congestion on their exchanges and their equipment... and my understanding is that the particular exchanges that we're talking about are exactly the exchanges where they'd be having that problem, and that's definitely something that switching ISP would not help you with.
      Our exchange is flagged as green by SamKnows, we have less than a thousand connections and the exchange has the capacity for 2500 without any further work. I can guarantee if Sky coughed up for further bandwidth I would be back to my day time speeds which BTW are just shy of 7 meg on a profile of 8120.

My neighbour is with Plusnet and he's getting 6.5 to 7mbps day and night. The only reason I stay with Sky is because I only pay a fiver a month for Connect and have been for the last four years. That offer is due to expire in 2019 so a bit to go yet.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi as a matter of interest what is your exchange Just give the code from SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search if you like

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Well the figures from Sky today show that just under 2/3 of Sky broadband customers are on connect, almost 2 million of them.

Compare that to the 1.2 million on LLU and we can see why there is such a bad slowdown, that is a huge amount of people and I can only assume that Sky will happily just shove more people onto connect if they can.

At 17 per month Sky is taking almost 400 million per year off the connect side of the business no wonder they report that the broadband part of the company is in profit.

It was always assumed that the LLU side was subsidisng the connect customers but I think that connect is actually making a tidy sum on it's own, even if they have to pay BT a large amount of money for renting it's centrals, they are jammed in like sardines.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi Adrian
      Sky are unbundling many exchanges the latest Latest Sky Unbundled Exchanges on SamKnows Majority of connect Customers do not pay the full amount A lot pay 5.00

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Well the figures from Sky today show that just under 2/3 of Sky broadband customers are on connect, almost 2 million of them.

Compare that to the 1.2 million on LLU and we can see why there is such a bad slowdown, that is a huge amount of people and I can only assume that Sky will happily just shove more people onto connect if they can.

At 17 per month Sky is taking almost 400 million per year off the connect side of the business no wonder they report that the broadband part of the company is in profit.

It was always assumed that the LLU side was subsidisng the connect customers but I think that connect is actually making a tidy sum on it's own, even if they have to pay BT a large amount of money for renting it's centrals, they are jammed in like sardines.
      I wrote quite a detailed post about this very subject some time ago and it received howls of derision at the time when I said that there were far more customers on Connect than there were on Sky's cherry picked LLU exchanges. I now feel vindicated though I can't say it provides me with any satisfaction as it simply highlights just how bad the situation really is.