Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 184 of 189 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186 ... LastLast
    Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ah OK, my mistake, how long ago was it you left?...

Birks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Ah OK, my mistake, how long ago was it you left?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

16 months ago-ish
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birks View Post
      Hm, I work for Sky in a tech role, and AFAIK the throttling for Connect users comes from BT, so switching ISP wouldn't help as long as you are going through their equipment at the exchange. Also note that they (BT) really don't care about if you can use it or not, if you go past their limit they'll throttle you right down to something that won't even load web pages half the time if that's what it takes just to get you back in line.

Long thread so not sure if this has been said.
      Nothing whatsoever to do with BT this is all Sky's baby so stop reading off the Murdoch script. Sky purchase the bandwidth from BT and the connection is controlled by Sky. Sky are not purchasing enough bandwidth for the amount of Connect customers they have so throttle those customers to death in order to share out the meagre bandwidth. You may be able to pull the wool over Cameron and Hunt's eyes but please don't try it with us.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Technically it is BT who do the throttling as it is their network, but this is only because Sky will not pay them for more bandwidth.
      Technically it's not - period.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Guys, please remember to be respectful to other posters and their opinions.

Faust is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddwarfcrew View Post
      Guys, please remember to be respectful to other posters and their opinions.
      I'm no fan of BT believe me but the post blaming BT for Sky Connect issues is just so wrong on every level that sometimes you just can't let these things go unchallenged. Apologies if I've stepped on toes though.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
      Technically it's not - period.
      Technically it is, BT put the throttle on the line, Sky can't do this as they have no technical control over the BT network. Sky dictate the speed using financial restraints, not technical ones.
      There has been a very bad relationship between Sky and BT right from the start. I think this stems from Sky giving an overgenerous download limit compared with BT and their other resellers. Now Sky have so many on Connect that it has come back to bite them. In the early days of Connect there was no problem, I know as I was on it, however they have continued to sign up users to such an extent that it is not economic.
      I think Sky's only solution would be to reduce the download allowance to a more economic one. If they modelled their package on Plusnet's plans, things would be much better for the average user. For them to continue advertising this product as 'fast' broadband is a disgrace.
      Sky Broadband Connect - Wireless Broadband and Offers - Buy Online

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I can't see how 40 gig is overgenerous compared to BT.

BT option 1 is only 10 gig and that is cheaper than connect at 16.40 per month.

BT option 2 is the same as connect at 40 gig and that is 3 per month more expensive than connect.

If Sky reduce the bandwidth per customer then BT becomes more attractive price wise, although Sky may reduce connect numbers they would at least take some of the strain off their rented centrals.

The whole mess that is connect comes directly from news corp, they initially gave Sky a target of so many customers with the rest of the company subsidising that and connect was pushed heavily.

Suddenly when James Murdoch took the helm of News Corp focus was suddenly switched from numbers to profitability.

These short term goals with little or no long term strategic thinking has hurt the connect package and Sky's reputation.

No matter how good the LLU product is (and that has suffered signs of contention recently) the connect product is terrible and that can only hurt the Sky brand.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

BT option 1 is only 10 gig and that is cheaper than connect at 16.40 per month.
      Exactly, how can Sky give 300% more for 60p and be financially viable? They also seem to have little control over the amount that is downloaded. There is a user posting now that says he has downloaded 300Gb over the last few weeks, he is probably one of many. No wonder they are in a mess

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Faust
      Hi were you not told that. I think the exact words were. Until Sky move in to your exchange.
      Also you were more than likely told that. The connect package is a stop gap before your exchange is Sky LLU Unbundled
      Technically it is Bt as the connect package is a Bt Re-badged product and Throttled by Bt`s RAMBo Rate Adaptive Management Box. I know this as Bt told Sky that my max speed was 225kbps. In reality I know show 4019kbps. That is why the thread Steve's Sky Connect speedtest blog was started. So I had proof of what was happening. Also If it was Sky doing the throttling it would be DLM Dynamic Line Management. The only thing Sky can do is try to manage the package. As Isitme says
      There is a user posting now that says he has downloaded 300Gb over the last few weeks, he is probably one of many.
      I have read the thread and that is where the problems are. You don`t need many connect Customers doing that to cause issues with the connect package.