Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 181 of 189 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 ... LastLast
    Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; DEAGLE Hi the connect package is traffic managed from 4pm till 11pm. But reading posts it seems more than likely ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

DEAGLE
      Hi the connect package is traffic managed from 4pm till 11pm. But reading posts it seems more than likely 4pm till Midnight. The old issue was not enough bandwidth. To many connect Customers. Sky have been and I think still are unbundling smaller exchanges and moving Sky`s own equipment into the exchanges. Moving connect Customer onto Sky`s own network. When will the issues be solved only Sky know. have a look at Steve's Sky Connect speedtest blog that is what it was like.

2. Advertisement
      DEAGLE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Isn't this slightly illegal and immoral? Everyone should have the right to do what they like on their connection, within reason. I understand downloading torrents and newsgroup files will effect other users but stoping people streaming video (iplayer) at a time of day when people want to watch these things is just immoral. BT hold the responsibility to deliver these services as they weather they like it or not, hold the infrastructure to the advancement of the country!

Has there been any ofcom investigations into this? As paying for 8mb and receiving less than 0.5mb is surly criminal. If they can't cope, then maybe they should upgrade their equipment to cater to demand! And quick!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DEAGLE View Post
      got sky set up last week on 8mb package. i get on average 1-2MB during the day and 0.5MB after 5pm??! then it speeds up to about 6-7MB late at night. im assuming this is BTs doing, is there anything being done about this? i cant watch watch youtube or iPlayer, i can barely browse!? i dont fancy watching iplayer after midnight.

thanks
      It is not BT's fault it is Sky and if you read just a few of the posts in this thread you will know there is nothing you can do about it. The only cure is leaving and finding an ISP who will not throttle the life out of your connection during peak time. Do not believe Sky support who may tell you it will improve after 10 days, it will not.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DEAGLE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is not BT's fault it is Sky and if you read just a few of the posts in this thread you will know there is nothing you can do about it. The only cure is leaving and finding an ISP who will not throttle the life out of your connection during peak time. Do not believe Sky support who may tell you it will improve after 10 days, it will not.
      If sky don't have their equipment at the exchange, wouldn't it be BTs responsibly?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No, Sky pay BT for a fixed amount of bandwidth. To avoid exceeding that amount, Sky throttle the connections. It has nothing to do with BT's equipment.

All ISPs using the BT equipment throttle to some extent, you would have been with UKOL, but you probably didn't notice it much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Dihal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Here's a cracker:

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 4.1Mbit connection (according to router status page and i do almost get this, download @ 480kb/s at 3-4am ish)
      * Current throttled speed: 0.18Mbit !!!! no lies (see speed test just taken)
      * Average usage per day: A lot but do not go over the 40Gb limit per month
      * What does this throttling affect? Everything! I get really annoyed with the time it takes to load the Sky website to complain about it!

EDIT:

it as just gone midnight....

Last edited by Dihal; 14-01-11 at 01:03 AM.

iWantInternet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 4Mbit connection
      * Throttled speed: As low as 16Kbit
      * Average usage per day: High during the day but low during peak times
      * What does this throttling affect? Absolutely everything. Sometimes outlook fails to connect to the mail server. FTP wont even connect let alone upload anything. Webpages load incredibly slow. This is against what they told me.

Ive tried not using the internet during the day today but nothing has changed. Still as useless as ever

This is beyond a joke now. We have broadband, phone and TV with sky. If this doesnt get sorted soon then we will move the lot to a company that cares. We are already spreading the bad word about sky. I might aswell get a dialup connection for peak times as it would be much faster. How is it possible that speed tests frequently report my download speed being half my upload! This is absolutely the worst service ive ever seen (and yes, i include dialup providers in that)

thebullet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Have to agree my router status shows 2mb being sent to the line but the router only gives 200kbps all the time, this is useless.

poorbroadband is offline Banned
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29 db 14 db
      Noise Margin 11 db 23 db

These stats normal for connect? Insanely slow round the clock most of the time. I go through a random spree where I get disconnected every 5 minutes and this can last for up to 2 hours or so. Java on websites will often fail to load correctly. Pages still try to load even though they are fully loaded (sort of infinite load loop).

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

poorbroadband
      Hi the test you need to do is Bt Updated Speed Tester also have you looked to see if your exchange has been Unbundled yet. Here are the latest Sky Unbundled exchanges. Latest Sky Unbundled Exchanges on SamKnows

thebullet
      Hi This thread is about the connect package. Which is not a Sky LLU unbundled package. you could do How to get your router statistics and post the results. Unless you think you are on the connect package to see do a Bt Updated Speed Tester if you can do the test then you are on connect.