Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 173 of 189 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
    Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; * Broadband package: Sky Connect * Normal Speed: 4-6mb Off Peak/0.5-1mb Peak * Current throttled speed: 92kbps! * Average usage ...

Sky_Pessimist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 4-6mb Off Peak/0.5-1mb Peak
      * Current throttled speed: 92kbps!
      * Average usage per day: A little - A lot
      * What does this throttling affect? All of the above

Generally my speed is slow enough during peak times but now it is beyond belief! I have spoked to 3 advisors and the last one suggested that I have been throttled for downloading 9gb in 4 days (although my limit is 40gb)! He has created a "ticket" and furthered my request down the chain so I can find out more information. Apparently I will recieve a phone call though I shall not hold my breath as they never bother.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Sky_Pessimist
      Hi have you read Sky`s T & Cs if not here they are http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/broadband/ also scroll down to SKY BROADBAND CONNECT NETWORK MANAGEMENT POLICY. It says Traffic Managed 4pm till 11 pm but it was 5pm till midnight and all day weekend. I think the download is 1.3gbs Daily so 9gb in fours days and you would have to had done that a few times then can be classed as over usage. to see what your speed is do a Bt Updated Speed Tester All the instruction are there.

Sky_Pessimist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for that but I'm a little non plussed. I have only had my Sky BB connected for 3 weeks and that was the first time that I have actually downloaded files over 1gb, I haven't come close before that. Generally I just use the internet for streaming and online gaming so I don't understand what's going on.

"The first time you go over your Usage Cap we will send you an email alert to your preferred email address". They never did this.

The advisor told me to use the BT speedtester yesterday and it gave me a speed of 92kbps. Still waiting on a phone call...

Thanks

Sky_Pessimist
      Hi If you do a Bt speed test the best thing to do is copy and paste the results to your next post. So we can see the results.The thing is the connect package is over subscribed and a lot of on line gamers on the connect package found it very difficult to play so have left. There are hundreds of posts about the connect package and the problems connect Customers were having. I have just had my exchange unbundled by Sky before that I was on the connect package for over 2yrs and the lowest speed I got was 1kbps.

The first time you go over your Usage Cap we will send you an email alert to your preferred email address
      That might be because of downloading 9gb and only been with Sky for 3wks.

Reapercore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlewick Green
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Download speedachieved during the test was - 78 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :1184 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

Yay, dial up. Can't play anything on Xbox live tonight, it usually copes with the packet loss and crappy speeds.

Thanks

Reapercore
      Hi as I informed Sky_Pessimist I was on the connect package for over 2yrs and the lowest speed I got was 1kbps. I had 2 choices put up with it. Do loads of tests as a reference to confirm how bad connect was and try and stay one step ahead or leave. I stayed, You never know it might get better. But when only Sky know. As you know there is no fix or way around the issues. Sorry about that I know exactly how you feel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Reapercore
      Hi as I informed Sky_Pessimist I was on the connect package for over 2yrs and the lowest speed I got was 1kbps. I had 2 choices put up with it. Do loads of tests as a reference to confirm how bad connect was and try and stay one step ahead or leave. I stayed, You never know it might get better. But when only Sky know. As you know there is no fix or way around the issues. Sorry about that I know exactly how you feel.
      Well I'll be moving in with my fiance hopefully at the end of the year so will move to Virgin Media or BT Infinity, what annoys me is that Sky are perfectly happy to take my Dad's money every month but not provide a usable service. He doesn't really want to move as I believe he has Connect in a deal with SkyHD and phone call.

It does seem like the traffic shaping has got steadily worse since March, did you notice at the end of August the shaping had been lifted for about a week, since it came back on my internet has gone to sh*t.

Thanks

Reapercore
      Hi when Sky first started the traffic shaping they did it in area`s. Some days really bad .Then others So So. Then other days not bad. But never great That`s what it seemed to be like in August. Also Sky unbundling all those exchange that would ease the bandwidth. But if Sky keep pushing the connect package. What bandwidth Sky achieved through the unbundling will not last long. What you have to do is keep asking Sky about when your exchange is being unbundled I would say about 100 exchanges have been unbundled with Sky equipment that`s the way forward.
      I have read somewhere that Virgin are going to Traffic Manage their 10mbs products that`s going to be a shock for Virgin Customers

Thanks

Yeh I'm aware traffic management is on VM now, even on XXL. However VM state their traffic management clearly and the exact times, so you can plan your heavy usage around this and not be affected.

Sky purchased 30% more bandwidth for Connect in August, this was apparantly due to them realising that the money spent on this would outweigh the bad press from continuing the provide an oversubscribed service. Surely some regulator should step in and force Sky to stop selling Connect to anymore people until there is sufficient bandwidth to allow it's current users to have a usable broadband connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

He doesn't really want to move as I believe he has Connect in a deal with SkyHD and phone call.
      Unless he is getting Connect at a big discount, I mean something like paying 5 a month, he should get out. I don't know if they give discount for having Sky Talk with Connect, like they do with LLU. If he is paying the full 17 he should get out asap.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.