Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 162 of 189 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
    Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You think you lot are unlucky (or being robbed in broad daylight) think again. I'm getting: Broadband package: Sky Connect ...

Hey_hippie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

You think you lot are unlucky (or being robbed in broad daylight) think again.

I'm getting:

Broadband package:
      Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: 6-6.5mb
      Current throttled speed: 6kbp/s... yes, 1% of the broadband I'm paying for.
      Average usage per day: An average amount, I have to do all the downloading after midnight though so it looks as though I'm going all out and hammering it to hell. Probably about 200meg to 1gig per day.
      What does this throttling affect? Absolutely everything it takes me 5 mins to load a 20 second clip on youtube. facebook etc take half a minute to load up etc etc. I'm furious!

What I want to know is why Sky are offering a service which clearly doesn't do what it says on the tin. Surely it's less hastle to move everyone onto a different package and get rid of the whole "sky connect" package/equipment. And if that's not popssible, then terminate the contracts and move people on to BT. It's the same with all big corporate companies, they never think outside the box.
      Also, fair enough if they are going to limit me to 50% of what I'm paying for during peak times but NOT 1%! That's just taking the p**s!
      Last edited by Hey_hippie; 17-01-10 at 08:51 PM.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hey_hippie
      Hi that is the problem the Sky Connect package is a Bt re-badge Max product. Did you get that result from the Bt speed Test Result and as for the lowest I have seen 1kbps through the Bt speed test have a look at
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users lots of information there about the connect package.

snownrock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gowerton
      Thanks

Im getting

Broadband package: Sky Connect
      Normal Speed: 2-4mb
      Current throttled speed: 40-300kbp/s
      Average usage per day: An average amount, though not very much recently
      What does this throttling affect? Everything, no iPlayer, google maps, not even googlemail sometimes.

We have had connect since Jun 08 and it has never been brilliant, the best we have ever had was about 4mbps. But since the start of Dec 09 it has been appaling, either no connection or dial up speed, all day. Originally i thought it was due to ongoing problems we were having with our voice line, now that has been resolved we are still getting appaling speeds. I was in the dark until i came across these threads today so thankyou to all, i have been complaning to the black wall that is Sky India and received no help (they say it is BT's fault and BT say vice-versa). So after making a few records of speed tests, testing the test point on my master socket without change i will be asking for my MAC code in the morning and going to TalkTalk (the only LLU service on our exchange), thats if i can reassure myself regarding their customer service record.

Thanks

snownrock
      Hi as you say only ISP with LLU is Talktalk there is still a lot of ISPs who supply Bt-rebadged products without throttling the line with Talktalk you have to take their line as well have a look around skyuser there are plenty of thread about the connect package and which ISPs connect Customers have moved to

Thanks

None of them are half as cheap as TalkTalk though, having the line with them doesnt bother me either as we currently have the line with Sky. What does concern me is the 18 month contract and their shaky customer service record, though that seems to have improved. I would rather pay less for an LLU line which (i might be wrong) will give me a better quality line and wont just be re-branded BT.

Thanks

Just for an example: Yesterday afternoon 4.30pm, normal setup, no test socket etc, modem and phone on an extension connection, with wireless network.

And this morning at 7am with exactly the same scenario:

Disgusting! how do they get away with this! More to the fact, i have been complaning for months about a slow connection and they have been blaming BT or my wiring.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i have been complaning for months about a slow connection and they have been blaming BT or my wiring.
      There is something wrong with your wiring or your main line. With your attenuation you should easily be getting the maximum speed available for your connection, which you are not. This has nothing to do with Sky. This is not the main reason for your low speeds, that is down to Sky's throttling policy. Nothing is going to fix this and it is pointless complaining to Sky, as they are not prepared to pay BT for a full service for all their subscribers..

If you want to find out whether your internal or external wiring is to blame, plug into your Test socket and take the stats from there. If you are using an extension to plug in the router I can almost gaurantee that you will see an improvement. Your line would be capable of 20Mb on an LLU connection.

My neighbour uses TalkTalk and has had no problems in over 2 years, if they are the only LLU operator available to you I would go for them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

snownrock
      Hi Listen to what Isitme say`s he always give good advice. As for your speed tests Sky will only except the Bt perforance tester bottom right will give you all the information you need to do the test. If you are going to use other speed tester as well then use Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester also thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test and Broadband Speed Checker - THE UK's No.1 Broadband Speed Test these are the one`s I add to the Bt test to show any difference.

Thanks

Cheers for the advice guys, well i have starte this thread Issue with my master socket so my wiring isnt fully as it should be. Yeah Sky or BT wont acknowledge a problem on the line anymore so i think it may be internal. TalkTalk say that our line would be good for 12.4mbps. Regarding TalkTalk, they rang me after i enetered details to check their services in my area on their site, asked if i was looking to start their service etc, said i want to re-assure myself regarding their customer service record first and he just hung up! Conforming to stereotype! so im a touch uncertain i must say.

Thanks

snownrock
      Hi you were more than likely talking to one of Talktalk sales team and they would only be looking at one thing sales nothing else. The thing is LLU compared to a Bt re-badged product. There are other ISPs that offer a better Traffic Management have a look at some of the connect Customers who have left and what ISP they moved to and given their views on the service they are now recieving.