Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 158 of 189 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
    Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; skyismyenemy Hi it is just as Smithy99 say`s. I see you do not have any ISPs with LLU at your ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

skyismyenemy
      Hi it is just as Smithy99 say`s. I see you do not have any ISPs with LLU at your exchange have a look through the connect threads and posts there has been a lot of Connect Customer who have left in contract and moved to various ISPs the popular one at the moment are ADSL24. Plusnet. and O2. here`s a list Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that offer broadband services in the United Kingdom : also have a look at (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users figgyp on post 12 a letter Sky sent out. You must remember there is always an option

2. Advertisement
      skyismyenemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      skyismyenemy
      Hi it is just as Smithy99 say`s. I see you do not have any ISPs with LLU at your exchange have a look through the connect threads and posts there has been a lot of Connect Customer who have left in contract and moved to various ISPs the popular one at the moment are ADSL24. Plusnet. and O2. here`s a list Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that offer broadband services in the United Kingdom : also have a look at (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users figgyp on post 12 a letter Sky sent out. You must remember there is always an option
      Whats a good provider? We can get Talk talk, BT, Plusnet and eclipse internet according to this Broadband Providers Comparison for UK ADSL, Cable and Satellite

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

What you want, if you can, is to stay off BT's network. If as I think, you have Talk Talk's LLU equipment available in your exchange then this is the one I would go for. You may have to see if you need to also use their telephone service though.

If not their LLU then steer clear of them too and go with either ADSL24, Plusnet or Zen, these will all use the BT equipment but will manage it a lot better than Sky currently do.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 22-10-09 at 11:02 PM.

sharky6606 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01302
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 5500 - 6800 kbps
      * Current throttled speed: 700 - 900 kbps-ish
      * Average usage per day: A little
      * What does this throttling affect? Downloading files / General Browsing
      Not used for Torrents or peer to peer.

CarbonSkyline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I have been having this problem for the past 2 weeks, after 4PM my connection just decreases until it goes down to around 0.5MB. Extremly frustrating as I can do nothing on my end to resolve the problem, customer support hasn't fixed my issue.

* Normal Speed: It's normally around 6MB
      * Current throttled speed: 0.5MB
      * Average usage per day: Every day
      * What does this throttling affect? Gaming especially, I keep lagging and disconnecting from the java based game I play. Browsing is also effected alot.

Funny how it was not mentioned about slowing down my internet if I use websites which use high bandwith on the day I signed the contract. Anyway I pretty much use the internet for gaming (Runescape in particular)

But to have my speed slowed down to 0.5mb during peak times is a joke. I've had better speeds on my old dial up connection. Luckily I am not tied down to my contract any more.

techmanx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020- Poplar
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

is it really a joke sky is playing on connect customers who are paying 17 pm. the customer services are useless as git,
      FAQ
      TEST @ 10/11/2009 - 23:00hrs

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
      2938 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
      Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2938 Kbps
      For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
      Additional Information:
      Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Thanks

techmanx
      Hi if that is a Bt speed test that you have done then you are on Connect not Sky Mid

CarbonSkyline
      Hi Some connect Customers have read the connect threads and Sky have allowed them to leave when they were still in contract

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2938 Kbps
      That is pretty good for Connect during the peak period. Some are only getting a tenth of that and many, even on Unlimited don't get that speed. The answer is simple, leave and go to another ISP, but be warned, all those that use BT's ADSL Max throttle or 'shape' the bandwidth to some extent. Your best bet is an LLU provider, if you have one on your exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Djdelmar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

* Normal Speed: 4mb-6mb
      * Current throttled speed: 0.4mb-0.6mb
      * Average usage per day: I'm on the internet usually all night, browsing and gaming
      * What does this throttling affect? Everything, in particular the inability to download, stream videos and online gaming (xbox live)

Thanks

Djdelmar
      Hi that is to do with the Traffic Shaping 5pm till Midnight and all weekends and the more you try to play games the slower your speeds will get I suggest you read the Sky T & Cs
      SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY

In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.
      Excessive use during peak time

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative effect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      also have a look at (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users
      What does this throttling affect? Everything, in particular the inability to download, stream videos and online gaming (xbox live)