Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 137 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187 ... LastLast
    Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy for me... iTunes, iPlayer, Sky Player, YouTube - all work without a glitch...might take minute longer ...

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      for me...

iTunes, iPlayer, Sky Player, YouTube - all work without a glitch...might take minute longer to download a track but streaming has never had an issue...

I can count the days I've had to stop watching a YouTube video due to it not buffering on one hand...
      Come on! You have extolled the virtues of Sky Connect for around six months now. We are all aware that you are 'doing OK' but 99% of posters are having severe problems. You have complained/moaned about Steve repeating himself but you are now in that same category.

Please, please, please, admit that Sky Connect after 5pm to around midnight is a sub standard service. Please don't keep telling us that you are 'OK', we believe you, honest we do, Steve, has always been honest and admitted his failings, please, please do the same.

We do not want to hear anymore of how you are doing just tell us how the 99% of posters with massive problems can deal with the diabolical and completely unacceptable situation that they face.

WE KNOW THAT YOUR SERVICE IS OK, AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU, BUT PLEASE FOCUS ON THE DIRE PROBLEMS THAT OTHERS ARE EXPERIENCING!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

They are not moving away from BT, I think that was wrong way to put it. What they are doing is the same as TalkTalk, Tiscali and some others have done. They are moving there phone customers (the ones who have taken Sky Rental on their LLUd exchanges) on to their own equipment, rather than pay BT for the use of the BT exchange equipment. They are making it look like they are doing their customers a favour, but in fact this will save Sky millions of pounds a year in rental charges.

For those on Connect and those who do not pay Sky Phone Rental, this will make no difference. It is possible they will do special offers to entice those who do not have phone rental and are on LLUd exchanges, under their umbrella.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi Tom that is what I could not understand because they were not doing anything spectacular
      It is not for their Customers it was to save money I agree. Where it got me was the moving LLU Customer to their New state of the art Network It is Probably written that way because the problems and unfriendly write ups they have been having lately. To convince new Sky Customers they have a new Network. But who will be going out to repair telephone problems I have full phone package and line with Sky. The common sense now is for Sky to unbundle the exchanges especially where there is a lot of Sky talk Customers.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky'll have their own engineers, BT won't be involved at all...that's my understanding of it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yunorisson View Post
      Come on! You have extolled the virtues of Sky Connect for around six months now. We are all aware that you are 'doing OK' but 99% of posters are having severe problems. You have complained/moaned about Steve repeating himself but you are now in that same category.

Please, please, please, admit that Sky Connect after 5pm to around midnight is a sub standard service. Please don't keep telling us that you are 'OK', we believe you, honest we do, Steve, has always been honest and admitted his failings, please, please do the same.

We do not want to hear anymore of how you are doing just tell us how the 99% of posters with massive problems can deal with the diabolical and completely unacceptable situation that they face.

WE KNOW THAT YOUR SERVICE IS OK, AND GOOD LUCK TO YOU, BUT PLEASE FOCUS ON THE DIRE PROBLEMS THAT OTHERS ARE EXPERIENCING!
      I've said before it's not up to scratch - but it's NOT as bad as you say it is as I can't be alone in not having issues...I reckon it's due to less contention where I am as I'm not aware of many Sky customers where I am...

I'm not gonna say it's good for gamers as 1. we know it's not; and 2. I don't game so can't say whether even my connection is ok...

It's not 'sub standard' as there are people who just need it for browsing and it's fine (if even that wasn't working then it would be sub standard) but for what it is it's ok...

It's only when you want to run high bandwidth apps that you start to get issues - and yes you'll say this is how the Internet's going - but at present it's ok...

If people need their Internet connection for gaming then I'll always say leave as even going on fastpath will have no impact on the traffic shaping - and it shouldn't as gaming isn't a priority on Sky, even OnNet customer - BUT if you just need to browse the Internet and download some music and watch the odd stream (like me) then Connect is fine...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

yunorisson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Happily migrated to NewNet after poor service from Connect after 5pm
      Thanks

Thanks

That surprised me though - as surely it's favouritism? I'm pretty sure they don't throttle BT Vision...

Having said that, SkyPlayer gets hit on Connect - can't see how Sky overlooked that one!!

andyconnect1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC rochford, southend on sea
      Broadband ISP: O2 LLU, none of that access crap
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello,

My parents signed up to sky broadband connect in January 2009 (against my advice)

I did not want to advise them on any LLU service at the time due to the fact that once you transfer to LLU, it costs to get re-connected back to BT if things don't work out, but it really does now seem that for someone who uses about 30-50GB per month, who wants to leave what seems like a highly contentious exchange Connect product behind (it was still erratic pre-sky but worse with sky due to excessive oversubscription and underfunding), which seems to lag even email sending via thunderbird, or even block it completely (aol/gmail etc) roughly at about 11pm-midnight on occasion, really would benefit from the modern and unbundled offerings available such as Be and other (what seem to be successful at the moment) products.

So, I am looking for opportunities to break the contract legitimately by using any of sky's contractual failures that I have not delved into.

For me personally, it is very frustrating to not be able to watch youtube videos because the streaming is broken and packets just are not transmitted or totally discarded/lost in the connect system.
      For instance, some youtube clips could take 30 seconds to load about 2 seconds...... After midnight......usually muuuuch better with almost perfect streaming, but sometimes dumeter registers 0KB per second then it's back to 200KB. "The internets are failing :P"

At certain times of day, it takes me up to 15 seconds to access my aol imap account emails and about 20 seconds to access my gmail account. 2 Years ago, I never had this problem.........Has technology really got so bad? with streaming tv player's I can only guess that internet bandwidth use has probably doubled or trebled, but I don't have the stats...... I can certainly notice the connect service failing even when I was with ZEN! but it certainly has got worse (as I expected) due to sky's financial methods.

I also notice that at the busiest times, tabs that are loading sometimes never receive? a signal that they actually "finished" loading......and they therefore have the loading.....sort of permanently locked until i press stop or reload the page at which point it might just work..or, of course, later on after midnight, it is much more responsive and at about 5 am wow...

So, summing up, I just would like to know my options for getting to an LLU service of some type that is hopefully less bottlenecked and capable of more contention without showing it. It would also be handy if it seems like the prospective offering would not be taken over for a while with a resulting decimation of the service.

As I stated previously, I was with Zen for about 10 months and it still showed some symptoms of lag (I don't think it was interleave based lag) even at 1 per GB and 1.78 per excess GB! but I had good downloads any time of day as long as I used a download manager. Incidentally, i have to use a download manager for most files, whether they be 2MB, 20MB or 150MB as sometimes it comes through at about an average of 10KB per sec, which is just too slow for me. Download managers really help therefore, especially when you have a new system and need about 2GB of board/os/games/apps patches/mozybackup etc.

Thanks for reading or falling asleep o.O

What do you all think is a fair price per GB that I should look to pay on LLU to keep a service sustainable?

Will LLU providers really manage a consistently reliable service by charging 17.50 monthly unlimited (is that about 100GB in english?) without any time capping? Or is it destined to fail? Or is it just a customer build up and then sell the company technique?

Also, do any of you have knowledge of the basic cost of LLU per GB vs adslmax/connect?

Any helpful, factual and credible links that answer some of my questions/statements would certainly help me to make the next move. Even if sky manages to keep us locked in, within 8 months, I expect everything will have changed anyway..for bad or worse. For now, I would still like to research.

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

sorry andy i switched off and got the jist tho,

your exchange has O2 / Be: Enabled as of 01/08/2008 for LLU which are both very good services,

O2/BE are resonable prices and fast enough if your close enough to the exchange, ADSL24 also run on that network and are also very good, take a look at there prices theyre usually not bad, as for connect you can legally break your contract, i have a thread running about it http://http://www.skyuser.co.uk/foru...ect-users.html

Your exchange:

Samknows Broadband - Rochford (EAROC) Exchange

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      That surprised me though - as surely it's favouritism? I'm pretty sure they don't throttle BT Vision...

Having said that, SkyPlayer gets hit on Connect - can't see how Sky overlooked that one!!

In skys/BTs eyes its traffic and its on their sh1tlist after 5pm.. BT Vision is probably not managed because BT control both the network and the product.. if it was skys LLU network it would probably be exempt for management..