Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 132 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
    Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Its a case of Is he a user that blitz's the network to the extent where he has become a ...

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Its a case of Is he a user that blitz's the network to the extent where he has become a problem, in which case ban them all, but if hes a normal user who download the guts of 1-2 gig a month from general surfing then why should people be limited to sub standard speed, and i assume thats why he's suing VM, tbh if i had the money id do it, cause someone needs to stand up to ISP's and say sort it, the likes of sky can do far better in their management of networks but they dont becuase its an extra 17 in their pocket and they limit everyone else to offset the balance of paying for bandwidth..

Entanet have recently introduced the ALT tool, which works so much better than what the likes of sky do, it has the policy of Flagging users who download stupidly during peak hours and slows the highest users when the network reachs 90%+ capactity. i manage to get 4-5 constant all day and i reached my quota last month for gb in a month, and never got effected when the ALT was running, so am happy with it.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Gazz I think the problem with Sky they are afraid to loose the other products connect Customers have Sky Talk and mainly Sky Tv that is where they make their money especially now with Sky+ and HD.
      Last edited by steve16751; 15-05-09 at 08:57 PM.

Vendetta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01257
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

* Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 3-5mb (what you would normally expect)
      * Current throttled speed: 0.21mb (Use our broadband speedtester to check)
      * Average usage per day: None in the past month! Average = 300MB per day? Usually at night
      * What does this throttling affect? Everything.

Absolutely dumbfounded as to how my connection can drop to speeds this low. 0.2mb is worse than I was getting around 4 years ago!

Our Sagem router broke on the 21st of April, it's taken them till the 14th to sent a replacement. This is the first full day i've had broadband back, and I've been limited up the ****. Admittedly, I did download around 600MB last night, but this was from 12PM - 3AM and was done using a scheduler!

How can Sky justify such poor treatment of its subscribers?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

due to there being not enough capacity on the entire Connect network and without doubling the price there's not a lot that can be done...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Vendetta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01257
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      due to there being not enough capacity on the entire Connect network and without doubling the price there's not a lot that can be done...
      Hey there, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, it's unlucky we're outside their proper network - that's one of the downsides of living in a small village!

On another point, i've used several speed checkers for the maximum speed our exchange can support. They've mostly come around the 5mb area.

Apparently, from SamKnows, Talk Talk have installed an LLU in our exchange. I checked their site and they quoted 14.4mb speeds.

Is this realistic evaluation of what they could provide? I've heard CS and allsorts is pretty terrible, but was quite interested as to if the speed they said is correct.

SuperMoto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Driffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky donkey speed
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
      * Broadband package: Sky Connect
      * Normal Speed: 3-5mb (what you would normally expect)
      * Current throttled speed: 0.21mb (Use our broadband speedtester to check)
      * Average usage per day: None in the past month! Average = 300MB per day? Usually at night
      * What does this throttling affect? Everything.

Absolutely dumbfounded as to how my connection can drop to speeds this low. 0.2mb is worse than I was getting around 4 years ago!

Our Sagem router broke on the 21st of April, it's taken them till the 14th to sent a replacement. This is the first full day i've had broadband back, and I've been limited up the ****. Admittedly, I did download around 600MB last night, but this was from 12PM - 3AM and was done using a scheduler!

How can Sky justify such poor treatment of its subscribers?
      I don't download much at all, maybe 1 gig a month if that. I too have horrendous speeds. I do however suspect much of this may be to do with all the PS3 and Xbox connections which have recently arrived in the last 6 months. As for doubling the price, why? SKY should stop skimming the profits so much and put something back into an massively oversold and oversubscribed service. I never had any issues prior to December 2008, and I was never told of any line throttling only a cap on downloads.

SuperMoto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Driffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky donkey speed
      Thanks

I have complained to BBC watchdog and included a link to this forum, I hope they are interested. I suggest you all do the same, the more public interest the more they may be interested in our cause.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Moto,

Sky barely make anything on Connect it is - they've undercharged the entire time - most other services with a 40GB allowance are getting on at least 50% more expensive...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
      Maybe that is the mistake they made. I think they just looked at Connect as a stop-gap until the exchange was enabled, so were not too worried about cost. It seems the rate of exchanges being enabled or upgraded has slowed down, so they have made their own problem really.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I have to agree, if Sky want to give loss leaders to get business then they should be willing to offer a good service as well.

They have been caught out with Connect, either their lack of enforcement to heavy downloaders of their reluctance to spend the money to cover it.

They should reduce the 40gb limit to all new customers now and also consider reducing it for current customers, giving due notice and the opportunity to leave of course.

Better biting the bullet now because the way things are going I can see some major publicity which will not just harm Sky's connect package but it will damage business right across the board.