Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 113 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
    Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; To be honest I tried wireless repeaters beofre homeplugs came out and although the signal strength improved the throughput was ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

To be honest I tried wireless repeaters beofre homeplugs came out and although the signal strength improved the throughput was pitiful in my experience.

The handshaking between both wireless devices was fairly unstable and I wouldn't recommend them at all for gaming, best going for a pair of homeplugs and go ethernet.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Gazz380
      Hi I wonder if a lot more had really slow and low speeds that they could not post

well that was a **** poor weekend for me, barely got decent speeds and cod4 just lagged out the whole time,
      Not long now

Cannings is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shipston-under-wychwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

A very frustrated Connect customer here, moved into a new place without (foolishly) checking what the networks were like, was told that connect was the only package available, so beligerantly took it being quoted .5 mg speeds where I am.

So it comes and is all installed and during the days its amazing great internet 0 problems get around 8mb connection no problems whatsoever. Yet as soon as the clock hits 5.25, i'm unable to connect to a ftp server, get disconnected from Playstation Network, constant disconnects from playing wow (please don't judge me on the fact I play :P)

Now I understand the fact they want to slow things down during peak times thats fine but comepletely cutting off use of FTP, PSN and really screwing up wow routing (I know its the routing since i've actually paid for Lowerping.com | Home which does actually improve wow connections a hell of a lot unless theres too much traffic trying to get through then it still results in a disconnect)

Now I'm lost and don't know what to do, I'm 4 months into the contract and have just spent 30 minutes whining at a person called tharun who wouldn't give me his surname (they must have a few frustrated customers) who insisted I was getting a full package because I could open websites !"!$!"$, they'd be dangerous if they had people who actually understood the problems they are being told about.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do, should I get another provider and if so who? and is it possible to get out of my contract on the broadband due to the fact that I can't use my connection for what I want from the time I get home from work till the time I go to bed?

Cheers for any advice

Cannings

oh and I cant seem to do the bt speed thing I just get

System Error Image not loaded

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.

Thanks

Cannings
      Hi first of all Bt tester Home tele Number and then below
      the user name you need is the 8 digit? mac code on the bottom of the sky router it`ll be like 005ER7FCD then you add @skydsl
      Between 5pm and 12midnight connect Customer are Traffic Managed Not very well thoughI have seen on this thread Actual throughput as low a 7kbps which took a long time

connect Customers who put Bt speed performance tests in posts for reference. So CST have information regarding each individual connect Customer just in case there is other issues with their connections hope that explains
      Kevsaints Just an update to my previous post page 101... post 1008 Sky have agreed to cancel our contract ( broadband/tv) with no financial penalties. In addition we can keep the sky + box etc.We were 6 months in to our contract but after seeking legal advice and holding them to there own terms and condition's we can finally jump ship lol....a little persistence can pay off so good luck to those who want to get rid of connect
      here`a a list of providers but the last 20 pages have various ISPs where Ex Connect Customers have moved to
      Hope that is enough information if you need more I am Here
      here`s a test just done20:21 06/05/09 which is not as bad as usual
      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1934 kbps

Cannings is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shipston-under-wychwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Steve

Thanks for the quick reply, on the matter of the speed test, ive just called my mobile from the landline and used that number that called it, then copied and pasted my mac address into the user name deleted all the colons, added @skydsl and still ended up with

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.

I'm pretty sure sky hate me, (maybe bt aswell now :P)

Interms of the traffic management, I would be more than happy to take a cut to bandwidth to make things slow, but I literally can't even connect to my ftp or psn on my ps3 thats not slowing things its completely blocking their ports to me.

I've tried even using SFTP on 22 and 722 and they are off limits aswell, looking at some of the other suggestions like plusnet and things, the prices and caps on them are far from ideal for me, plusnet was looking good till I saw they wanted a 18month contract as i'm only renting this place is a big jump for me to get into especially at 20 a month.

I'm just now writing sky a letter about them breaching the supply of goods and services act and will mail it off tomorrow to see if that gets me anywhere.

Sigh

Cannings

Sarcoma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWNB
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hey guys,

Just another disgruntled Sky Connect customer sounding off about this really annoying throttling thats going on.

We've been back and forth between BT and Sky about this issue for a few months now. BT couldn't find anything wrong with the line, the exchange is green and has been for months. Honestly it seems to be getting worse as time goes on, which is why I checked this forum for anyone with the same issue...I was quite shocked to see so many posts on this topic.

Anyway, it's got to the point now that our connection is really useless after about 5pm, and it doesn't really pick up until well after 1am.

The main thing thats annoying me about it, is my brother bought me Left4Dead as a gift on Steam; and I am unable to play it when we want to (6pm until 11pm usually). The connection to the Steam servers keep coming and going and I've been unable to stay connected at peak times for more than about 5 mins.

I really wish there was a way we could get out of this 12 month contract, it really is the worst service we've ever had with an ISP.

Speed test results I took a few mins ago (7:30pm):

We usually get around 6-7Mb off-peak, which is all good and well, but we're out all day so its useless to us.

Cheers.

Thanks

Cannings
      Hi is a Bt land line or was a Bt land line
      Below there is a list of addresses and locations with tele numbers

some of connect Ex have gone to NewNet or IDNet if you can find a ISP with LLU in your area it is better.
      Sad part is the connect package is useless for gamers

Thanks

Sarcoma
      Hi Sky will not except any speed tests unless they are a Bt Performance Test read the post I sent to for information on Bt test Test Result

Kevsaints Just an update to my previous post page 101... post 1008 Sky have agreed to cancel our contract ( broadband/tv) with no financial penalties. In addition we can keep the sky + box etc.We were 6 months in to our contract but after seeking legal advice and holding them to there own terms and condition's we can finally jump ship lol....a little persistence can pay off so good luck to those who want to get rid of connect

Smithy99 off line Traffic shaping is not a bad thing, it allows things through quicker if they need it so things like VOIP and Gaming don't suffer when there is a bit of load on the network.Throttling seems fair enough if you are trying to download the whole internet, its only right that you are limited to stop ruining things for other users.
      Capacity, well there lies the problem, if capacity is at its peak then nothing will speed it up, traffic shaping and throttling do not even get a chance to do their thing which is actually meant to help. Until capacity is increased, Connect will never be able to contend with some peoples desire for quick speeds and fast latency for gaming.
      Sad part is the connect package is useless for gamers.

Sarcoma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWNB
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Sarcoma
      Hi Sky will not except any speed tests unless they are a Bt Performance Test read the post I sent to for information on Bt test Test Result
      Hi Steve,

Just done a quick BT test, results are:

Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 112 kbps

Cheers.

Thanks

Sarcoma
      Hi thats information that Sky cannot deny that is not Traffic Managed that is Sky throttling your line it has happened to quite a lot all you need to do now is put results on your posts a good idea is to put time and date you need to do times between 5pm and 12midnight and times when you get good results that way you can prove that that Sky are not traffic managing but Throttling your line. can I ask you are not paying 17 for connect are you if you are that the first thing you want them to reduce. the reason that speed is not even dial up and it is happening when you need to go on line
      When talking to CST and they ask you to do Bt test you can say you have done some would your like them emailed
      they will not know what to say