Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 110 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast
    Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 20:11 31/03/09 Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information. Your DSL connection rate: 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) IP ...

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

20:11 31/03/09
      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 725 kbps
      Has been ok for awhile only losing 1Mb But with profile dropping again another 72hrs what I do not understand is that is 725kbps is throttling. Thats not Traffic Management been on Sky user this afternoon that is it was on Sky user last night have not downloaded anything only thing that did download was avast update exchange showing green no problems so that can not be exchange Noticed last night syncing a few times so copied stats before and after also booted and copied stats so I can find out why.
      interesting

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Steve, no offence but we get it...constantly posting speed tests helps no one...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
      I think Steve is going for the World record for most posts in a single thread. Maybe he will get in the Guinness Book of Records

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SheriffBiggs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lutterworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi,

I have really noticed lately the issues with my Sky Connect package. Tonight I did a speed test at around 20:15 here was the result:

Download 456Kbps
      Upload 314Kbps

Now I pay for the 8Mb connection. The speed posted above has been prety much constant for the last few weeks during the peak periods. During the day my wife does a speed test and gets around 6Mb, which is what you would expect

Here are my router stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8000 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 26 db

I am an average user. I own an IT business and I am an occasional gamer that downloads demo's on my PS3 etc.

I fully understand the point of capacity in the local exchange etc but I feel a bit miffed that right during the period where I use the net the most I am not even getting 1/2 Mb!

I am serioiusly considering shifting to O2 so I can take advantage of their offer being an O2 customer.

Thanks

Dom

doubleOeck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: limavady
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

been a while since I posted, it's still the same here, I'd see though it if I hammered the bloomin thing but my monthly usage averages only 20gb. Oh well I'll keep paying my 5 for conenct like I have for the last 2 and a bit years... you ain't getting rid of me that easy sky

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SheriffBiggs View Post
      I fully understand the point of capacity in the local exchange etc but I feel a bit miffed that right during the period where I use the net the most I am not even getting 1/2 Mb!

I am serioiusly considering shifting to O2 so I can take advantage of their offer being an O2 customer.

Dom,

there is a few things you need to look at first, check your local exchange (samknows on google) and check for LLU suppliers if your unlucky like me then your stuck with BT rebadged products, in which case you have very few decent choices.. Newnet, aquiss, IDNet, ADSL24, Fast.co.uk and anyothers that i missed are all worth looking into!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately that is when most people use it, that is why it is called the 'peak' period.
      As mentioned, be careful about O2, they are also suffering with throttling, contention, shaping or whatever they want to call it, it still slows the connection down. If you are forced to use a BT product, you are better looking for an ISP who does not do LLU, they are more likely to give you a decent connection. Plusnet for one are upfront about their' traffic shaping' policy and tailor packages to your requirements.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

SheriffBiggs
      Hi Dom have you tried Bt performance tester When you talk to Sky CST they will ask you to do that test it is the only one that they recognise for connect and when asked to do the test you will already have test results
      the user name you need is the 8 digit? mac code on the bottom of the sky router it`ll be like 005ER7FCD then you add @skydsl
      Good luck

doubleOeck
      Hi how you keeping. I know what you mean I can put up with it. Not going to be for ever
      Gazz380
      good information heres a few more
      IAmNotTheEnemy
      No offence taken
      Isitme
      Hi Tom more like pint of guinness record

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unfortunately that is when most people use it, that is why it is called the 'peak' period.
      As mentioned, be careful about O2, they are also suffering with throttling, contention, shaping or whatever they want to call it, it still slows the connection down. If you are forced to use a BT product, you are better looking for an ISP who does not do LLU, they are more likely to give you a decent connection. Plusnet for one are upfront about their' traffic shaping' policy and tailor packages to your requirements.
      people are reporting that O2 Access is now behaving a lot better, so O2 has done what it's promised and have been open admitted a problem and sorted it in a timely manner.

So time for Sky to learn from their competitors?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

karlak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cranfield
      Thanks

Well luckily for me I was still in my 8 day period, and Cancelled my SKY Connect last night. They probably dont care, but that means they have lost me as a BB customer, and also a SKY Talk user.

They almost lost my HD package as well, when they were not going to refund my 30 connection fee - soon got them to see sense though.

Waiting on the MAC code and then off to find a non-throttling provider.

- I did get the impression (not confirmed) that the guy I was speaking to in cancellations was not surprised at the Connect performance, and there was never any of the usual tactics to try and change my mind.