Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 109 of 189 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
    Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Whether 45GB or 40GB allowance, sky, to their credit, do state "if you go over your cap, we won't cut ...

andyconnect1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC rochford, southend on sea
      Broadband ISP: O2 LLU, none of that access crap
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Whether 45GB or 40GB allowance, sky, to their credit, do state "if you go over your cap, we won't cut you off. However, if you consistently go over, we may ask you to upgrade to a higher capacity package"
      I have gone over it once so far...

I have noticed that some people on forums always like to be critical as opposed to actually answering any questions that some may have.
      So, enemy, thanks for that not really too helpful comment. I do look forward to some much more helpful comments from others, that I have seen in the 10 pages or so of this thread that I have read.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyconnect1 View Post
      So, enemy, thanks for that not really too helpful comment. I do look forward to some much more helpful comments from others, that I have seen in the 10 pages or so of this thread that I have read.
      Seemed helpful to me, if you think you have more allowance than you do, you are more likely to go over it and get capped.

He was only correcting your mistake and advising you of the correct limit. Why is that not helpful?

Thanks

Okay, sorry "IAmNotTheEnemy", 40GB is obviously not 45GB, so your answer was helpful.
      I suppose I was hoping that I would get at least one question answered, but did not...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if you read the whole thread you'd find out that it's not the enforcement of usage that's the issue but lack of capacity at the exchanges in general that's the underlying problem...

now, people that regularly saturate their connection are the reason Sky have chosen to enforce the Connect product - and although their traffic management would work fine with more capacity, Sky aren't going to buy more so probably best you move on at the first available opportunity...

having said that, Sky currently count anything over 1.4GB a day (ish) to be excessive and are then subject to monitoring (40GB/28 days = 1.4GB/day)...

more helpful for you?...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

The thread is 100pages + I would not read all of that...5 pages was enough
      I only use about 14 GB per month personally, but less tech-savvy members of the family don't even know what they are downloading in terms of capacity, hence why I put DUmeter on each system.

For the Rochford exchange EAROC, I know that the exchange as a whole has capacity because I was on zen internet 25GB,8Mb for about 6 months and any time of day was fine for downloading.

I expected that sky would be a big downgrade, but I don't have the financial control, so I have to pick up the pieces as such. However, if sky does not pay for the same amount of usage per account that zen does, then I suppose it is clear that we will have to rely on a heavy contention factor. The reason that I chose Zen originally was for the reputation of consistency etc, hence the massive price difference.

I may have to force a move to talktalk inc phone and line rental etc, if we exceed the cap too often. Personally, I think 40GB is enough if used correctly.

Yes, more helpful, thank you.

Do you know if the line throttling 5-12midnight, will cease if it detects less activity for say, 7 days? or such? Is it that clever?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the throttling isn't to do with the traffic management - it's Sky's capacity that's the issue...

Sky have to purchase capacity from BT, and they're not prepared to do this as it costs thousands per year and Connect isn't worth it...other ISPs (such as Zen, IDNet, etc) have a lot more capacity so traffic management isn't quite as strict and shouldn't be as obvious...

this Connect issue has been going on since September/October last year and has no signs of being fixed anytime soon...as you're already said, Connect is financially a better product but in practice it falls well short...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the throttling isn't to do with the traffic management - it's Sky's capacity that's the issue...

Sky have to purchase capacity from BT, and they're not prepared to do this as it costs thousands per year and Connect isn't worth it...other ISPs (such as Zen, IDNet, etc) have a lot more capacity so traffic management isn't quite as strict and shouldn't be as obvious...

this Connect issue has been going on since September/October last year and has no signs of being fixed anytime soon...as you're already said, Connect is financially a better product but in practice it falls well short...
      No one listens to you thats the problem, you should really quote this on everypage! iv been waiting on my MAC code since friday now boooo

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

andyconnect1
      Hi I could put a lot more information. 1/ if you are a on line gamer connect at the moment is no good
      Our Base product allows 2GB of downloads per month, Mid and Connect offer 40GB, and Max is unlimited, (No Fair Use Polciy). Do not worry if you exceed your allowance, we will not cut you off or charge you extra. If you regularly exceed your limit, we will suggest you upgrade to a product more suited to your online needs.
      There is no upgrade for connect. Down grade where I have seen on this thread as little as 7kbps.

1) What is a fair use per day? your thought's and legally fair ?
      IANTE answered that for you
      2) Is it considered that the throttling terms and cons of line monitoring "fairness" are nothing more than an excuse?
      No one want their line traffic Managed or being throttled but if you over use the capacity you will be throttled and other users at your exchange will have problems as well.
      3) If it is considered unfair, then can I take sky to the small claims court if they
      don't give in for them breaching fair ethics as such AND get a mac forced out of them?
      Never heard of fair Ethics. But if Sky rang you to say Sky is now in your area and the Sky BB is Sky connect max which they know is over capacity?
      As Smithy99 said No ISP can refuse just ask it should take 5 working day

Gazz380 5 working days.

Although everyone can get annoyed when thing are not going their way. This Forum is helped along with members who assist other members and guests who are having problems or issues they need assistance with. They do not do it for any gratification they do it because they want to and can help.

nearly forgot IP profile dropped again booted and that is what is showing now it will take more than prat about with my router?
      Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4064 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2781 kbps
      Last edited by steve16751; 31-03-09 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding test

Gazz380 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitehead (NIWD)
      Broadband ISP: ADSL24
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      andyconnect1
      Gazz380 5 working days.

Actual time its supposed to take is 24/48 hours from the moment the request is made, excluding weekends so by that theory then i shouldve had my code by now!! I Wanna Leave

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Gazz380
      This was posted so you could if you wanted to contact Sky

They officially have a period of 5 working days to give it to you.
      advise them you are aware of the rules and if you don't receive it in line with the ofcom regulations you are going to report them.
      Actual time its supposed to take is 24/48 hours from the moment the request is made, excluding weekends so by that theory then i shouldve had my code by now!! I Wanna Leave
      l
      Something to read hope it arrives soon