Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 100 of 189 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
    Results 991 to 1,000 of 1882

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

This is a discussion on Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After several speed tests sent to sky, a phone call blasting them (apologies to the employee) and being kept in ...

SuperMoto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Driffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky donkey speed
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

After several speed tests sent to sky, a phone call blasting them (apologies to the employee) and being kept in a queue for in excess of 40 minutes I hung up. I have had 4 months of banging my head on a brick wall.

Yesterday a nice technical guy phoned me, within a few hours my speed had been improved, results:-

16/03/2009 21:10hrs
      Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 864 kbps

17/03/2009 11:00hrs
      Test failed

11:08hrs Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6527 kbps

15:40hrs

Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5641 kbps

However my ping is still poor between 3 and midnight (averaging 133 now) and the download speeds have suddenly slowed at 19:30hrs tonight. Within a few minutes of the speeds going poor, I received a call from sky, another gentleman from tech support.
      He called to explain that my internet is throttled to under 1 mbps between 1500 and 0000hrs by BT.
      I vented some anger at his company and the fact they knew what was wrong for over 4 months and had not bothered to tell me at any point, nor had they informed me of the throttling which came into force on my exchange round about December. I also reminded him that his company is directly punishing gamers and not those who download to excess or beyond their limits.

During the discussion with him , he stated that BT throttle the speeds of sky users. He admitted that my use of downloads was very small over a month (generally less than 1 gig). He also disclosed that BT throttles its own users to 1.5 mbps. He stated my latency was too high and that he would ask BT to do something about this, however he cannot ask directly for fastpath as it is a sackable offence. He told me it would be up to BT to do something about the poor latency and speeds.

I wait in anticipation of nothing being done. Just of interest anyone fancy sending all this thread to Watchdog?

On a positive note, I am lead to believe 'talk talk' may be buying space on my local exchange. Anyone know if they are any good?
      Last edited by SuperMoto; 18-03-09 at 10:56 PM. Reason: edit

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SuperMoto
      Hi the more post we can get on this thread especially by connect Customers the more chance Media would be interested

it is getting near the thousand mark and nearly 22,000 views we need a lot more connect Customers who are having problems to post their remarks maybe some cannot because their speeds being so low and slow.

nandoh This is how inviting Sky connect is have a look at post 980 on this thread. tell me what you think.

Maverich Don`t worry Smithy99 is trying to help and will try to get around the problem you have
      Lets hope that it improves soon

fugly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hereford
      Broadband ISP: BT Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

SuperMoto, I think the guy is twisting the truth a bit, the throttling is done at Sky's request and as for BT throttling there customers to 1.5mbps that's nonsense I get 3mbps to 3.5mbps every evening.

karlak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cranfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

So I am switching from Pipex (Tiscali) to SKY connect next week. I have been ASSURED by the nice helpful SKY techie, that my speed will not vary to what I get now.

Currently get Appx 4 - 5mb anytime of day.

I now having read this thread and seeing the results from others, fully expect the information from Sky to be incorrect. So will in all probability cancel with in the 8 days - Strange how they recommend 10 days for the speed to settle (2 days after your get out of sky period).

I have been taking speed stats 3 times a day for the last few days, and so will have a nice real example to throw back at SKY should the inevitable speed throttling occur. I guess if I cancel, then I will also kiss goodbye to my Connection fee that I have been charged ?

davedarave01uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin + Vivaciti
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
      So I am switching from Pipex (Tiscali) to SKY connect next week. I have been ASSURED by the nice helpful SKY techie, that my speed will not vary to what I get now.

Currently get Appx 4 - 5mb anytime of day.

I now having read this thread and seeing the results from others, fully expect the information from Sky to be incorrect. So will in all probability cancel with in the 8 days - Strange how they recommend 10 days for the speed to settle (2 days after your get out of sky period).

I have been taking speed stats 3 times a day for the last few days, and so will have a nice real example to throw back at SKY should the inevitable speed throttling occur. I guess if I cancel, then I will also kiss goodbye to my Connection fee that I have been charged ?

I suppose if you cancel now you might save the connection fee

Ive not had any throttling now for 3 days. Though I have lost connection to Xbox live a few times last night but my speed was still hitting 1800kbps

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

requesting fastpath is NOT a sackable offence and can be done by CST in 24hrs...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      it is getting near the thousand mark and nearly 22,000 views we need a lot more connect Customers who are having problems to post their remarks maybe some cannot because their speeds being so low
      And maybe there arn't as many as you think who this is affecting.

If it's getting near a thousand mark, that is mainly you and me and everyone else who keep telling you to leave

If you consider the 22000 views, everytime another post is added, I look in, thats nearly 1000 times now so if there are more like me and you and IsItMe and Newsreader and IANTE then that's probably less than 50 people who are looking.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

@Nandoh
      His explanation for the "throttling" - even although you are using Sky, Sky is using BT Exchanges for ALL their Connect Customers and BT customers have "first " preference on line usage and any "throttling" will first be applied to non BT customers.
      That is an out and out lie. The only reason BT decrease the speed is because Sky will not pay for the bandwidth required to supply their customers. If they were up front about it, like PLUSNET it would not be so bad, but the way they are applying it is not in accordance with their T & Cs and is just alienating their customers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

davedarave01uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin + Vivaciti
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well Im now back down to 200kbps tonight, I have had 3 nice days of internet and now back down again.
      So defo moving as I still believe they will throttle any connection I have with them.

I asked for my MAC code last thursday and Im still waiting for that.

nandoh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: KINGSWELLS, ABERDEEN
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Isitme,
      Quote:
      The only reason BT decrease the speed is because Sky will not pay for the bandwidth required to supply their customers

Is this a statement of fact?
      Whether or not Sky pays for the required bandwidth the actual decrease in speed is applied by BT, so when Connect Customers request information from a Sky technician and are told BT applies the decrease, basically he is being politically truthful.
      Unless there is a mass migration from Connect I doubt if Sky would increase their payment to BT Wholesale for an increase in bandwidth. Even although there are nearly 1000 post on this subject the actual members posting would be less than 100. Does this then imply the majority of Connect Users are satisfied with their speeds? I don’t know – who does? Is there a Spartacus among us?
      I am not entirely satisfied but I migrated from Madasafish and my speeds are no better – no worse but cheaper. As previously posted, Sky LLU is in not available to me. I negotiated Connect at 5 per month for 1 year. Maybe other Connect User could also negotiate. At the end of my contract if Sky intends increasing to 17 then I will possibly seek another ISP if the speed decrease continues.

Norman