Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Router dropping connection

This is a discussion on Router dropping connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Anyone having problems in SW London area, my connection has been going up and down like a pair of tarts ...

Joe.Mosley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router dropping connection

Anyone having problems in SW London area, my connection has been going up and down like a pair of tarts knickers all day long. Hadnt noticed at first until i looked at the speed graph on my uTorrent. Showed consistent dropouts over the last several hours.

2. Advertisement
      tinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax SDHRSHM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      My connection was up and down loads on sunday too, I was using newbin downloads and can see chunks of about 30 minutes or more downtime about 4 times during sunday. Also the speed was fluctuating vastly sometimes maxing my conneciton others down to around a 1Mb line type speeds.

Andrew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Feltham LWFEL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      My connection has been dropping out occasionally since I was activated last Wednesday, but rebooting the router has always cured this.

However, this morning it wouldn't come back up. All the lights are on as normal, but the connection status shows:

Connection Time 00:00:00
      Connecting to Server: Disconnect
      Negotiation: LCP is allowed to come up

and nothing in the other fields.

My Router stats at the time were:

Connection Speed: 7555 Kbps / 766 Kbps
      Line Attenuation: 41.0 db / 21.1 db
      Noise Margin: 7.4 db / 13.7 db

It doesn't look like my line is dead as I'm getting a connection speed displayed.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

Andrew.

ps. I'm in Feltham, Middx.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi People

The stats don't look to bad there Andy.

Just a though but maybe all of you need to change some settings in the router if you haven't bee to the Sky Router (Netgear DG834GT) section and tried some of the ideas post there then I suggest you have a look and try some of them that are in the stickies.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Wheelie,

I've seen the thread entitled 'Router Freeze, Loss of Connection Possible Fix ' and will try this later. I have to admit that I don't understand what it is doing though! What are UPnP and Auto 108?

I don't understand what wireless settings have to do with whether I can actually connect to the BB or not.

I do understand that my line is going through its learning phase and should stabilise after a couple of weeks, but is it normal to not be able to connect at all at times?

I've recently escaped from Orange where I lost connection for six weeks before cancelling with them, and am starting to worry that the same may happen again. After all, I still have the same line from the exchange, if that is part of the problem.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Andrew

(UPnP) = Universal Plug and Play there are a few things that can use this feature MSN Messenger will use it for one but it does tend to be flaky.

Wireless Auto 108 is best if anyone is using the wireless side and I have no idea why that is but I have found all the PCs (4) on my network connect better with that than the g & b settings, but if you don't use wireless then just disable it.

The only line that goes through a learning phase is IPStream ie: MAX Adsl LLU is rate adaptive.

I hope this helps
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Thanks for the info Wheelie.

When I popped home at lunchtime, it was working fine so I haven't changed a thing.

Does the rate adaptive thing mean that each time I connect, it will work out how fast the connection should be? Does this mean that if I connect in the evening when the load is highest, I will get a lower speed, but it will be more stable at other times? By the same score, does it mean that if I establish my connection at a quiet time of the day, it will die when things get busy?

I'm still trying to get my head around this LLU stuff!

Cheers,

Andrew.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes your analysis is correct

tinx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax SDHRSHM
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
      Thanks for the info Wheelie.

When I popped home at lunchtime, it was working fine so I haven't changed a thing.

Does the rate adaptive thing mean that each time I connect, it will work out how fast the connection should be? Does this mean that if I connect in the evening when the load is highest, I will get a lower speed, but it will be more stable at other times? By the same score, does it mean that if I establish my connection at a quiet time of the day, it will die when things get busy?

I'm still trying to get my head around this LLU stuff!

Cheers,

Andrew.
      This is a great analysis in simple terms which make it easy to follow and will explains I think my problems too. I have restarted my router mainly at quiet times and am then encountering issues mid evening or over the weekend. I think I will try and restart my router at a busy time this evening get a lower speed byt stable connection.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I agree thats a very good analysis, but if I was you I wouldn't turn the router on and off all the time and they hate that and it does tend to cause problems over time they are designed to be left on
      Ray

click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast